Chapter 96

"Meadowkit, I wanna show you something," Riverkit meowed.

"Sure, what is it?" Meadowkit asked.

"Follow me!"

The two she-kits scampered off to the apprentice den and Riverkit showed her best friend the discovery she had made a half moon ago.

"Wow!" Meadowkit breathed, impressed.

"It means we can finally leave camp!" Riverkit squeaked in excitement.

"Can Flamekit come?"

"Yeah but try not to let anyone else see you."

"I won't!"

Thankfully, Meadowkit came back with Flamekit in tow.

"Ready to go?" Riverkit asked her denmates.

"What are you three up to?" Smokekit asked, appearing with Sunkit beside him.

"Nothing!" Riverkit protested.

"Then why are you hiding back here?" Smokekit asked with a tilt of his head.

"Meadowkit says Riverkit found something," Flamekit meowed.

"Found what?"

Riverkit froze with uncertainty before she sighed. "Promise not to tell."

"Alright, I promise," Smokekit meowed with a nod.

Riverkit stepped aside to reveal the hole in the camp wall. "We're gonna use it to sneak out of camp!"

"What?!" Smokekit exclaimed, eyes rounding with shock.

"But it's dangerous out there!" Sunkit squeaked in horror.

"Not right outside camp," Riverkit argued.

"The meadow is crawling with GrassClan patrols. How dangerous could it be?" Flamekit reasoned.

"Besides, don't you want to see what it's like beyond the camp walls?"

"Yeah, but not like this," Smokekit meowed.

"We'll just explore a little bit and come right back. We'll be so quick no cat will miss us!" Riverkit looked at Meadowkit and Flamekit. "Come on, let's go!"

With that, Riverkit slipped through the hole in the camp wall. Meadowkit, Flamekit and-to her surprise-Smokekit all followed after. Riverkit felt a rush of triumph to have succeeded with her plan. They were finally going on an adventure!

"Alright, we've seen the meadow, let's get back into camp," Smokekit suggested.

"What? We just got out here!" Riverkit protested.

"Yeah, all we've seen is grass and flowers," Meadowkit complained.

"Don't you want to see the river or even a tree?"

"The river? Trees? That's too far away! Some cat's gonna miss us before we even get anywhere close," Smokekit argued.

"Well, I wanna see both. Besides, I think the warriors would be impressed with how far us kits got."

Smokekit cast a worried look at the camp wall, now barely visible from their current spot. "Aren't you afraid of getting lost?"

"Nope! Like Flamekit mentioned, there's loads of patrols out here. If we really can't find our own way back to camp, we'll just follow one back to camp."