Chapter 54

Bramblestripe faced off with Stonesplash. They had both been placed on battle practice that day. Everyone was getting some good sparring in. Unlike cats that had been raised in the same Clan, Bramblestripe knew nothing about Stonesplash's fighting ability. He took the time to size him up.

From what he had seen in the past two seasons of being in the same Clan, Stonesplash was big and strong. He was not easily distracted or intimidated. Bramblestripe would have to be on his guard.

Stonesplash charged Bramblestripe in hopes of using his greater weight to pin him. Bramblestripe didn't let him, slipping past him like water over a rock, his paw grazing his side. He whirled and he made him almost dizzy as he darted around him, jabbing at him with rapid strikes. Bramblestripe finally stopped and Stonesplash.

"You look big and intimidating but unless you scare a young warrior with your looks, your size isn't going to do much," Bramblestripe meowed.

"I could lure an enemy warrior past their depth as a WillowClan warrior but that's not practical now. I've got to work on improving my technique as a GrassClan warrior," Stonesplash meowed.

"Maybe he could draw an enemy close by taunting them," Bumbleflight suggested.

Shadowheart snorted. "Yeah right. Stonesplash is probably as good at taunting as he is at swimming. Terrible!"

"You mean I'm too nice? No one's ever complained about that before," Stonesplash meowed, sounding amused.

"You all are. You're crazy if any of you think that a little extra training will mean you stand a chance against PineClan."

Bramblestripe was taken aback by Shadowheart's attitude.

Duskflower rose to her paws to confront Shadowheart. "You? You, you, you! Correct me if I'm wrong, Shadowheart but you're talking as if you're not one of us. Yet, you left PineClan just like I did. I'm happy I left. No matter how much it costs me, I gained far more from it. Can you not say the same?"

Bramblestripe had never seen Duskflower so forceful before, let alone with Shadowheart. Shadowheart flattened her ears and extended her claws. Her tail lashed and, for a heartbeat, Bramblestripe thought the black she-cat would attack Duskflower. He braced himself, ready to intervene. Thankfully, it didn't come to that.

Shadowheart whipped around and stalked out of camp.

The rest of them resumed battle practice...or tried to. Unfortunately, Shadowheart's stormy departure had distracted them all. They went through the moves half-heartedly.

Stonesplash now faced Bumbleflight. Bramblestripe, watching from the sidelines, could tell at once that the pale ginger tom was distracted. His gaze was unfocused and stance too loose for defence or offence. It was too easy to tackle the young warrior. He didn't resist as Stonesplash pinned him to the ground.

It was only then that Bumbleflight looked up at Stonesplash, amber eyes dark. "Do you think she's right?"

Stonesplash stepped back, allowing Bumbleflight to get up. "No, I don't."

"But I was born and raised there. PineClan is a big, strong Clan. Kits are encouraged to practice battle moves in the nursery. They're expected to have basic hunting and fighting skills by the time they're apprenticed. Apprentices don't become warriors until they've fought in their first battle or are able to take on two warriors at once during practice. PineClan warriors are scary and Shadestar most of all."

"That's all true," Duskflower admitted. "GrassClan is the smallest Clan and still the weakest, but we aren't beaten yet."

"Shadowheart is right but so is Hawkstar. We have everything to fight for," Stonesplash meowed firmly.

"It's natural to be afraid, Bumbleflight," Wildbloom meowed. "But remember that you're not alone. Your Clanmates will be beside you the entire time."

"You're not the clumsy apprentice you were when you left PineClan," Duskflower meowed.

"PineClan thinks they still have the element of surprise. They won't know what hit them," Stonesplash meowed.

"Especially with all the extra training we're doing," Wildbloom meowed.

"You're right!" Bumbleflight rose to his paws. "I won't let you down!"

"Oh, Bumbleflight, you could never let me down." Wildbloom flicked her former apprentice affectionately with her tail.

"Just fight with everything you've got and trust that your Clanmates will do the same," Stonesplash meowed.

They resumed their training session with renewed vigour. They only stopped once the other patrols started returning to camp. They got something to fill their bellies and caught up with their Clanmates on what was going on outside camp. The Clan was sharing prey and winding down after a full day. Bramblestripe had almost forgotten about that morning's training session.

"I can't find Shadowheart anywhere in camp!" Duskflower exclaimed to Stonesplash.

"You know her better than most. After what happened this morning, are you really surprised she isn't in camp?" Bumbleflight asked.

Duskflower shook her head. "No but this feels different."

"I'm sure she's fine," Brightwhisker reassured. "If any cat can take care of themselves, it's Shadowheart."

"But if you're worried, Duskflower, I'll help you look for her," Stonesplash offered.

"I'll go too," Bramblestripe meowed.

The three of them left camp and split up to try and find the missing she-cat's trail.

"Over here!" Bramblestripe called.

Having been gone sine that morning, the trail was fading but it was there.

"At least it's enough to follow," Stonesplash meowed.

"But it's headed straight for-" Duskflower stopped, unable to finish.

The ravine.

Bramblestripe and Stonesplash exchanged a glance. So far things were not looking hopeful that they would find Shadowheart within GrassClan territory.

"Well, we should still follow it just to see where it leads" Stonesplash meowed.

"Shadowheart may surprise us," Bramblestripe meowed.

The three of them followed the trail but it never wavered. They arrived at the ravine with no Shadowheart in sight.

"Come on," Stonesplash meowed. "We have to be sure."

They made their way down the slope to the bottom of the ravine. Shadowheart's trail cut straight across the ravine and up the opposite slope. There the three GrassClan warriors stopped.

"She's gone."