Chapter 3

"Are we the only ones here?"

Bramblestripe had never seen the ravine empty before. He glanced at the rest of his patrol. Dapplestar didn't hesitate but led Bramblestripe, Fernshade and Wildbloom into the ravine. The three of them were the only volunteers from OakClan. It was the night of the Gathering where the four Clans exchanged news but the only thing being exchanged this night would be warriors.

A heartbeat passed before Stormstar entered the ravine with three cats flanking her. Bramblestripe recognized the gray tom with white paws as Stonesplash and the mottled tom with blue eyes as Birchleg, but he didn't recognize the young white she-cat that was also with them. WillowClan settled a short distance away, Stormstar exchanging a curt nod with Dapplestar.

"Is this all there is?" Bramblestripe asked with a flick of his tail. "Where is PineClan?"

Wildbloom looked at her Clanmate. "Did you really think any of them would show up?"

"Well, yeah. Why wouldn't they?"

"Look, here they come," Fernshade meowed with a flick of her bushy tail across the ravine to the opposite slope.

PineClan had a larger group than either OakClan or WillowClan for a total of five cats surrounding Shadestar.

Bramblestripe was surprised by the volunteers he saw. Amongst them were Honeypaw, the PineClan medicine cat apprentice and a pale ginger tom he assumed was Honeypaw's brother. There was Duskflower, a tortoiseshell she-cat. Then there was a mostly black she-cat with a white chest and paws that he thought was called Whitewhisker but it was the last volunteer that truly shocked Bramblestripe. For it was none other than Shadowheart, Shadestar's daughter.

"All that's missing now is GrassClan," Dapplestar meowed.

"Perhaps they didn't survive this final moon. Mores the pity." Shadestar's eyes gleamed dangerously in the moonlight.

It was then that GrassClan appeared. The same four that had arrived at the previous Gathering: Hawkstar, Thistletail, Doeheart and the only remaining warrior, who's name Bramblestripe didn't know. They looked thin and tired. Hawkstar's gaze trailed over the gathered cats.

The silence was broken by Shadestar. "Well? We don't have all night."

It was enough to get the volunteers moving.

Stonesplash was the first cat to leave his former Clan. He dipped his head to Stormstar before striding over to stand behind Hawkstar.

Slowly, little by little, the other volunteers trickled away from their former leaders and joined GrassClan.

Shadestar was the first to leave with Stormstar and Dapplestar not far behind.

Hawkstar waved his tail in silent command before leading his newly formed Clan up the slope. Bramblestripe found himself just behind Doeheart with Fernshade beside him. Hawkstar, despite the fact that he and his original Clanmates were still extremely thin, kept up a steady pace. He didn't hesitate when he crossed into GrassClan's territory, but all of the volunteers did, bunching up nervously. Bramblestripe could see wide eyes, ruffled fur, and twitching tails from his fellow volunteers.

Hawkstar almost immediately turned to face them. "This is strange for all of us, but you have chosen to follow StarClan's will and join GrassClan. Once you cross into the meadow, you will all be members of a new Clan."

Once more, Stonesplash was the first to cross the border and the others followed him.

Satisfied, Hawkstar resumed the pace through a meadow that still bore the scorched earth and bare patches where the fire had devastated the territory. Bramblestripe was familiar with the devastation, as a strip of OakClan's territory had also burned last greenleaf. Though, GrassClan had certainly taken the brunt of the damage. As an OakClan warrior, he and his former Clanmates had been able to avoid the burned section of forest but that wasn't an option for him anymore. Though, there was no turning back now.