PART 84: PROTECTIVE

WANDAS POV

I woke up to quiet whimpering beside me. I sat up properly and noticed Ava settled beside me. Except, she wasn't settled, she looked scared. She looked terrified. Her whimpers became louder and I pulled her closer trying to soothe her.

"Shh shh shh, it's ok" it wasn't working, she continued crying.

"Its ok драга (darling) you're ok" her whimpers turned into screams. They scared me. These loud heart wrenching sobs.

I quickly used my powers to shut the door. I drew the curtains and cradled her. I rocked her back and forth.

"Hey hey hey сунце (sunshine). It's ok" my hands had a mind of their own, one tracing patterns onto her back and the other slowly pushing hair out of her face.

She screamed again before lowly muttering "my fault" it was quiet, broken. If I wasn't sitting so close I wouldn't have heard her. I felt the warm flow of tears fall down my cheek. I wanted to help her, pull her out of whatever terror she was in, but I didn't know how.

She was getting so worked up, she was sweating. I pulled her sweater over her head, leaving her in her small cropped top, revealing parts of I'd say a dozen bruises across her arms and stomach. I couldn't really see properly in the darkness, but I quickly connected the dots,

My fault, bruises, the nervousness whenever anyone asked if she was ok, the panic when Evan was mentioned or when she was with him, her excuses to get away from any events outside of work, the nightmare.

Evan was abusing her, and she thought it was her fault. A strong feeling bubbled up inside of me that I quickly labelled rage. It took everything in me to not march over there right now and fuck him up. Another quiet whimper from Ava brought me back to the room I was in.

"Shh shh shh, it's ok, you're ok, you're safe, it's ok, shh shh shh" more tears joined the two trails falling down my face. I felt Ava grab a fistful of my shirt, she buried her face into my neck. It broke my heart, and I continue to try calm her anyway I could. Quietly talking to her, rocking her.

"Star light, star bright,
The first star I see tonight;
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight" her tears slowed for a moment, before she hugged me closer and settled her head on my shoulder, seeking more comfort.

I pulled her onto my lap properly and sat up slightly, I held her head to my shoulder and stroked her back, trying to be gentle in case there were any bruises there. Her loud heart braking sobs, turned into quiet, cute hiccups.

I tried to move the pillow behind me to stop the headboard digging into my back, she slowly sat up and I instantly regretted moving. I was enjoying the cuddles.

"You're ok, it was just a bad dream" I hugged her close again and I could here her sniffle before her arms wrapped around me, returning the hug.

"You are ok? Right?"

"I'm f-ine" she was interrupted by a loud yawn. I laughed quietly and lay down again, she was still on top of me but I didn't mind. I just wanted to hold her tight and protect her from the horrible nightmare that she had to live. Ava moved a little, moving some of her weight off me and onto the bed, her head remained on my chest and her arm was lain over my waist. Our feet were in one big tangled mess.

I held onto her and started to slowly sing again.

"A dream is a wish your heart makes
When you're fast asleep"

She cuddled closer and within the next 10 minutes, I heard the cutest little snores. I smiled down at her.

"I'll protect you ava. I will make him pay for what he's done to you"