Chapter 79: Bittersweet

"Wow, your powers are really handy," said Astrid, twirling her hair in her fingers.

"This is the fastest way we can get to the palace," I said, staring into the distance.

We were currently flying through the night sky on my wind flower petal and were on our way to the palace. I figured this would be the quickest way to get there instead of running.

It didn't take long, and before we knew it, we were close enough. I landed the petal and we got off.

"I cant get any closer. We'll be caught quickly if we're flying so let's walk the rest of the way," I said.

"Alright. I'll get us in the palace. Use your zetsu and hide in here," said Astrid, opening her kimono. I nodded and did as told. Snuggling in between her wings, I hid inside and gave her a nod. And with that, we began advancing towards the building.

After a while, we got inside the palace and faced our first problem.

"What are you doing here, Astrid?" said a voice.

Astrid tensed up and began talking. "I finished my mission. Where's Pitou-sama?" she asked.

"She's supervising the start of the selection."

"I see. What are you doing here?"

"I'm keeping watch," said the voice. "Oh right! Don't try to go up. The second floor is off limits." Astrid let out a quizzical sound. "I don't know. Apparently, the King had a fight with the Royal guard. Youpi-sama is standing watch at the central staircase."

"Alright. I'll see you around," said Astrid, waving at the ant before leaving. I felt her heart beating and breath hitching as she tried to walk as unsuspiciously as she could. I tapped her hard skin, trying to comfort her and she muttered back some words.

"Y/N," she mumbled. "We're in. Come out."

I stumbled out of her kimono and summoned little Aira at my shoulder. Glancing around, I scanned the place. We were in the rear garden, just beside the large middle tower where Astrid mentioned the King resides.

"Thanks for everything Astrid. I'll now go and look for my friends. I assume you'll be safe within the castle, right?" I raised a brow.

"Oh don't worry about me, darling. I can take care of myself. I'm more worried about you and my dear Aira."

Aira chuckled and flew towards Astrid. "Oh stop it, you know just how strong we are."

Brushing my hair back, I continued searching the area. The palace was huge. Where on earth should I start looking? I left the two to chat for a few minutes before grabbing Aira and bowing to Astrid.

"You've been a great help. I'll never forget you, Astrid."

Placing her hand on my head, she brushed my hair out of my face and gave me a genuine smile. "No problem, honey. Just make sure to visit me after all of this is over. I'd love to give you and Aira a makeover!" she gushed.

I rolled my eyes and chuckled. "Will do--"

My eyes closed tightly as a sudden bang sounded from in front of me. Covering my eyes with my arms, I coughed as a runny substance ran down the front of my body. Hesitantly, I lowered my arms, lifting my head up to find the cause of the explosion.

My stomach reached my throat.

Blue blood was splattered all over me. My jaw hung slightly ajar at the scene.

The last of the Kimono burned up, leaving nothing but burnt ashes and broken pieces of green flesh scattered around. A ringing sound shot to my ears, warning me to breathe. My gaze shifted to the side, landing on what used to be Astrid's lovely head...