Living In My Head (Drarry)

By deathbyinsomnia

An AU story where all things began under different circumstances. There is no magic, no ministry, only The Ac... More

Chapter 0: Disclaimer/Author's Note
Chapter 1: Leaving the Dursleys
Chapter 2: 9 and 3-Quarters
Chapter 3: Piercing, Silver Eyes
Chapter 4: I'm A Klutz
Chapter 5: Late to Class
Chapter 6: Sold My Soul
Chapter 7: The (Almost) Fight
Chapter 8: Friend or Foe
Chapter 9: Dinner is Served
Chapter 10: Hard to Explain
Chapter 11: Here's the Truth (Part 1 of 2)
Chapter 12: Here's the Truth (Part 2 of 2)
Chapter 13: Bedridden and Alone
Chapter 14: Only In Dreams
Chapter 15: Released From Prison
Chapter 17: Hit and Miss
Chapter 18: Losing My Mind
Chapter 19: Skipping Astronomy Class
Chapter 20: A Generous Invitation
Chapter 21: A Big Decision
Chapter 22: Taking It Easy
Chapter 23: For the Asking
Chapter 24: The Falling Snow
Chapter 25: Making Proper Arrangements
Chapter 26: You're Hiding Something
Chapter 27: The "Shopping Spree"
Chapter 28: The First Goodnights
Chapter 29: O' Departed Joys
Chapter 30: Bring Your Worst
Chapter 31: Playing the Game
Chapter 32: Actions I Regret
Chapter 33: Recounting Old Memories
Chapter 34: I Can Imagine
Chapter 35: Skipping the Pleasantries
Chapter 36: For My Own
Chapter 37: A Modest Proposal
Chapter 38: The Morning After
Chapter 39: The First Date (Part 1 of 2)
Chapter 40: The First Date (Part 2 of 2)
Chapter 41: Draco's Weakened Defenses
Chapter 42: When Choosing Truths
Chapter 43: I Miss Him
Chapter 44: More than Comfort
Chapter 45: Mister Dorian Gray
Chapter 46: End of Chimes
Chapter 47: Waiting for Answers
Chapter 48: I'm Moving On
Chapter 49: Not Officially, No
Chapter 50: Something So Small
Chapter 51: The Night Bus
Chapter 52: The Freezing Chill
Chapter 53: Feeling So Helpless
Chapter 54: Forgiven, Not Forgotten
Chapter 55: The Photo Album
Chapter 56: Long Story, Short
Chapter 57: Weight of Gravity
Chapter 58: Dynamics in Misunderstanding
Chapter 59: Spoken Through Touch
Chapter 60: Sense of Intimacy
Valentine's Interlude
Chapter 61: Illusion of Perfection
Chapter 62: The Final Countdown
Chapter 63: A Phantom Limb
Chapter 64: Release Memory's Hold
Draco POV 1 (chap 62-64)
Author's Note
Chapter 65: Points of Interest
Chapter 66: Breathe, Little Deer
Chapter 67: Dealing with "Things"
Chapter 68: Dreams One Has
Chapter 69: All Doubts Aside
Draco POV 2 (chap 66-69)
Chapter 70: As Time Passes
Chapter 71: Out of Practice
Chapter 72: Griffindor Pride
Chapter 73: The Double Date
Chapter 74: Before the Storm
Chapter 75: The Yule Ball
Epilogue
The Complete Track List

Chapter 16: An Ulterior Motive

3.8K 162 143
By deathbyinsomnia

Chapter Song: Enter by Attica Blues

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remus Lupin gives me a small, almost stuporous, smile as he nods in approval before walking up towards the front of the room. I blink and suddenly all that sheer courage that appeared was gone and I felt as if I was going to collapse.

"Harry, of all ideas that are dumb and impulsive, why did you have to go along with this one?"

The shaking was getting worse, even to the point where my body naturally started leaning forward to tremble. I slid in my chair next to Neville and brought my knees to my chest as class slowly began to start. A couple people looked over but simply shrugged and sat down. They looked toward the teacher, while I stared at my book, my feet, my hands, anything except the face of the man who may've had a part in killing my parents. This Professor, with gall I haven't seen in a while, decided that I would be his target for the day.

Neville mumbled to me under his breath, after I answered two or three questions correctly, "He picks a daily target, have fun."

Lucky for me, though, my photographic memory never stopped working. I would be half-listening, he would call on me, I answer the question correctly, and he'd move along. This continued until class ended, class began to transition but he held me by the shoulder when I tried getting up.

"Sit, Harry."

Isn't that just dandy, Potter? He knows who you are.

Oh, happy day!

I desperately tried not to respond to the voice, seeing as he only truly responded or shut up when I spoke aloud.

The fact that he said Potter this time, bothered me, though.

Tread carefully, Harry, or he may find out about us.

"Yes, Professor Lupin?" I said as flatly as I could manage.

"You keep giving me very unnerving looks during class, it makes one wonder why."

Maybe because you killed the kid's parents.

He didn't do it directly.

Same thing.

"Your mind is wandering, Harry, look at me."

I breathe slowly, trying to calm down, then I look at him, "You killed my parents."

His eyes flash with something dark and he takes a deep breath, allowing himself to stand a little straighter, then he lets go of me and walks away. He doesn't say a word. As I headed off to my next class, I wondered if that was an admittance of guilt or if it was just too much to hear.

...

Walking towards the planetary studies room, my elective, I noticed there were only about 10 students taking this class. To my dismay, I knew none of them. A tall, young woman with dark skin sat behind her desk, watching me enter. Her dark umber hair was pulled back in a tight ponytail that flattered her high cheekbones.

"Harry Potter?" she asked, speaking a little too much through her nose.

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Just Miss Aurora is fine, or Professor Sinistra, if you prefer."

I got a few interested looks before correcting myself, "Yes, Miss Aurora." and their interest faded.

"Good, you found the room without trouble. I was just telling the class,"

Her brown eyes seemed to lighten a little as she motioned to everyone sitting in a circle at the center of the room in small, plastic chairs.

"We're having today's class session tonight at the astronomy tower at 7pm until 9pm."

The look of shock on my face must've gave it away because as soon as I picked an empty chair, she explained.

"In the booklet explaining the different classes, if you check under Planetary Studies, it says it will sometimes call for night classes."

I thought it over for a second, "Do other classes have night sessions?"

She smiled a little, leaning back in her chair, "Just the Paranormal Theory class, they go on ghost hunts."

She seemed amused by the idea, but I didn't really want to press the subject. It was one of those things that I didn't want to think about since I first learned my parents died.

Actually, Harry, they were murdered.

Shut up, you.

I looked to my left and there was a boy with short black hair and, quite honestly, reminded me of Will Smith. I looked to my right and Miss Aurora walked over and sat there.

The boy to my left poked my arm, "I'm Blaise Zabini."

I took another look at him, okay, scratch that, nothing like Will Smith. Blaise's eyes seemed to be filled with hatred and he seemed to be sizing me up.

"Harry, nice to meet you."

"I heard you made an ass out of Lockhart."

Apparently, the story is now leaked to the students. Wonderful. Now everyone must think I'm a punk.

"It's not like I meant to, he did it to himself." I said, standing as Miss Aurora dismissed us.

"Either way, you've scored points in my book, Potter. I'll be your partner for future projects."

...

As we walked in different directions, I wondered how far that pole was stuck up his ass, as well as how likely it would be to have a successful removal if taken into surgery.

God, Harry, you could be a comedian.

Stop laughing, will you, your laugh is creepier than a goddamn hyena's.

I'm guessing this is you not respecting my opinion again.

Good guess.

You're no fun.

I turned off into the courtyard and Draco was there with his teammates, practicing juggling with the soccer ball. Draco even managed to kick it from behind his head and go back to juggling. I went in another direction before anyone could see me and I bumped straight into none other than Blaise Zabini.

"Hey, Harry, what'cha doin'?"

I shrugged, "Walking around, there's nothing to do."

A wide smile cracked his face, "Well, I have an idea."

He pulled me straight into the courtyard with Draco and his buddies. I knew I recognized Blaise somewhere, he was Draco's teammate. Oh, dear God, kill me now. I was too surprised to even think of looking at my feet.

"Hey, guys, meet my new friend. This is Harry Potter, you remember him, don't you, guys?"

They started laughing, "Yeah, he's the klutz who wanted to try out for the team."

Blaise got a triumphant smile on his face, "Actually, he's the one who kicked Lockhart's ass."

They all shot me confused looks, then him, "I thought he just talked him down a peg."

"Yeah, that's what I heard." another one murmured.

"No, no. He beat him up. I was there."

Draco looked at me in a panic then went back to juggling.

"Cool!"

"Yeah, Harry, come hang with us!"

"If Blaise likes ya, so do we!"

Blaise gave me a small smile, and whispered in my ear, "Exaggeration never hurt anyone."

Draco kept sneaking a look over at us.

"Welcome to our group, Potter." Blaise whispered before sitting on a bench.

A couple of the guys started talking to me but I didn't really listen.

Why would Blaise do this?

An ulterior motive?

See, good, now you're being helpful.

Oh, fuck off.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 84 14
Harry is suffering from PTSD and depression after the war, it's even worse after he had a extremely dramatic brake up with Ginny. Draco is scared, h...
26K 1.5K 10
[COMPLETED] You're a Gryffindor who gets along with everybody. With everybody but Draco Malfoy. He is always bullying Harry Potter, your best friend...
618K 17.3K 38
The war is over. Everyone has to retake the previous year at Hogwarts. Hermione Granger is made Head Girl and Draco Malfoy is made Head Boy. Tensions...
332K 14.2K 54
After the Second Wizarding War, Malfoy found himself alienated from the majority of the school; his old friends just irritated him, all of Hogwarts'...