Chasing Dreams (A Harry Potte...

By blueskies-fireflies

Harry walked slowly from the room, hidden beneath his invisibility cloak. He could see the snow on the window... More

Chapter 1: Prologue
Chapter 2: Flashbacks
Chapter 3: Snivellus
Chapter 4: Temporary
Chapter 5: Slytherins
Chapter 6: I reckon they do
Chapter 7: A great idea
The Fight
Rob Dawson
Just a small argument
Boys
Hogsmeade
Halloween
Authors Note
Author's Note
Trouble in Paradise
Hogsmeade
Helena Renai
Sam
Night time snowfall
The Letter
Chocolate Frogs and the Map
The Frozen Lake
The Hospital Wing on Christmas Eve
A Job?
Christmas Morning
Presents
Kayn and Snape
The Sorting
The New Years Eve Party
A Terrible Idea
Chaser?
Single Tryouts
Work
The Patronus Charm
The Art of Ice and Magic
Biscuits
Valentines Day
Another date?
The Match
Curses in the Corridor
Second Time In A Year
The First Warning
Apoligies
Hogsmeade with Jared
Planning
April the 22nd
OWL's Approach
OWL Exams
Mudblood
Rejection
The Last of the Exams
The End of an Era
Train Rides and Tears
Authors Note
Summer and All its Lies
Goodbyes and Greetings
What Happened To You?
Playing With Fire
Sixth Year Begins
Thinking
An Encounter on the Pitch
The First Prank
The Party
Drinking and Dancing
A Bit of A Clichè
Entirely Hungover
The First Envelope
Taking Care of Things
Secrets, Slughorn and the Second Warning
The Astronomy Tower
Madam Rosmerta
Awkward and Shy
An Admittance of Feelings
In the Forest?!
As High as the Clouds
Working Things Through
Blackouts
I Don't Need
Really, I am
First and Last Time
What Doesn't Exist
Any Takers?
Not an Update
Not an Update 2
Confusion
What is this?
Author's Note

I'm Not A Soldier

831 42 6
By blueskies-fireflies

"It is the quality of one's convictions that determine success, not the number of followers."

- Remus Lupin

Skye wasn't surprised the next evening in the Great Hall, when the post arrived and Kayn didn't. She hadn't been expecting post, and she hasn't been hoping for it. Her Mum had been the only one in her family to ever write to her, and even then it was rare, and her Mum couldn't do that anymore. She watched none the less as owls swooped in, clutching letters and packages, dropping them all over the tables. Her eyes fixed on Lily's tawny owl as it screeched and landed gracefully in front of Lily.

"Thank you."

Lily smiled at the bird as it extended it's leg and she untied the paper. The bird hooted softly. Skye smiled and offered it a small crust of bread, which it pecked from her hand before flying off. Glancing at Lily, Skye saw her opening the Daily Prophet. The headline was in bold black writing, reading loud and clear.

"Oh dear."

Lily said softly, putting down the Prophet and covering her mouth with her hands. Skye leaned over and grabbed the paper.

"Muggle Family Murdered In Cold Blood."

The headline read. It was followed by a picture of two people, a man and a woman, lying beside each other. Their eyes were lifeless and their bodies limp. At their feet lay a small baby, only two or three, very much alive. That was possible made it so sad- the child was living but stared in boredom at his dead parents. He didn't recognise them.

"Can I read this?"

Skye asked. Lily nodded gingerly, her eyes sad and worried, and read over Skye's shoulder.

The article was horrible. An innocent muggle family had been murdered and their baby left orphaned- but the Cruciatus curse had left the boy mindless and insane. It was believed to be the work of Bellatrix Lestrange, Antonin Dolohov and Rodolphus Lestrange, all followers of Lord Voldemort. Lily's eyes filled with tears but she brushed them away impatiently. Skye stared at the paper in horror and anger, her fists clenching and unclenching.

"I fucking knew she was psycho."

She stated bitterly, her blue eyes glancing up at the Slytherin table.

"She was. She is."

Lily answered sadly. Taking a deep breath, Skye looked around, her min on the article. The willpower it took not to punch every Slytherin at the table was unreal.

"I can't believe someone would.. How could you even do that? I just.. It's unbelievable."

Lily whispered. Skye rubbed her shoulder soothingly. It was a stressful situation- this was yet another family killed, muggles. Her Mum was a muggle and had been killed because of it. It was only a matter of time before Voldemort targeted Lily's family and Skye's remaining relatives.

"It's so worrying."

Lily told Skye, her voice pained.

"I know, Lil, I know. It's horrible."

Skye whispered. The entire hall must have got the paper- an aura of sadness and despair hung over everyone. People were whispering and talking in hushed voices, bent over the Daily Prophet. The whispers and muttering were cut off by a loud slam and heated footsteps. The entirety of the hall turned to face James, who stood up and, ignoring the eyes of every student and teacher, walked out of the hall, pushing his hair back and sighing. The students were quiet as they shared glances between each other. Lily stared after James, her eyes wide. Skye frowned as she heard a sniggering from her. Turning with a glare, she saw Mulciber, Snape and Avery clutching their stomachs and cackling. Clenching her fist, she set her jaw and stood up. Stomping over to the Slytherin table, she slammed a hand down on the table between Snape and Mulciber. She glared between them.

"I suggest you assholes give it a rest."

She hissed. Them for good measure, she turned before leaving.

"I'd watch it if I were you, Snivellous."

"James? Come on, I know you're around here. Talk to me, Prongs."
Skye called softly as she walked through the corridors. After James had left the Great Hall, presumably due to the news in the Daily Prophet, the other Marauders has gone looking for him, but in all the wrong places. Remus, Sirius and Peter knew James better than anyone, but Skye knew his secret. Remus, for all his brains, didn't always use his wits, Sirius was clever, but he was reckless and rash, and Peter wasn't exactly the brightest spark in the fire when it came to tracking things down. Skye wasn't any of those things- she was quick witted and logical. Without thinking, she looked up and smiled to herself. She knew where to find James.

''James?'' Skye asked, walking from beneath the curtain. It was freezing- although Skye immune to it. Being able to control ice and fire had it's perks; ice meant that she was used to the cold and fire kept her warm, it's internal heat a constant reminder of the power.

''James?''
She called again. She was sure that she'd find him here- James came out here to clear his head all the time and, considering it was a Saturday and there were no classes, he could spend hours out here. Skye looked up and saw him- mass of unkempt black hair, glasses askew from the wind, tears running across his cheeks. He was flying fast- leaning tight against his broomstick, his knuckles white from the pressure.
"James Charlus Potter, get your ass down here or I swear to Merlin, I will come up there with my beaters bat!"
She screamed at him. Through his anger, Skye saw him roll his eyes and smile his goofy smile- the one that brightened his face when he didn't want to be amused but was. Skye had always thought it was cute, and better than the smirk that he almost constantly wore. James reluctantly swung his broom to the ground and landed near her. Tears streamed across his cheeks and his face was flushed with anger and frustration.
"Couldn't catch the snitch?"
Skye smirked, trying to lighten the mood. James shot her a look and pulled the snitch from his pocket, reluctantly triumphant, bored about his talent. He tried to smile at her but his lower lip trembled and he suddenly broke down. Sobs racked his body as he covered his face in shame. Skye softened immediately. Rushing forward, she wrapped her arms around his strong shoulders. Her black jumper warmed him immediately. It was a jumper that James had always liked- it was plain black and loose, but soft and it fell off Skye's shoulder ever so slightly, revealing her thick shoulder and pale skin. He buried his face in it's cosy material, ignoring any argument the two were having.
"Oh, James.."
Skye breathed softly, holding him at arms length. It was rare for James to cry- he was brave and fearless, but that didn't mean he was heartless. In fact, he was quite sensitive. A quality that Lily really ought to see more of.
"I'm okay.. I'm fine."
James mumbled, dragging a hand across his face. Skye smiles sadly.
"Come on, it's freezing. Let's go to one of the changing rooms."
Skye suggested, linking his arm. James dragged his broomstick behind him miserably and the two made their way into a mildly secluded area of Hogwarts- the changing rooms, where Skye may or may not have gone with some people to have a quick snog. Plonking down on one of the benches, James looked across at Skye.
"How did you know where I'd be?"
Skye raised an arched eyebrow.
"You're not quite as unpredictable as you might think, James."
James smiled sheepishly, looking down at his clasped hands. He looked up suddenly and met Skye's blue eyes, looking deep into his mind.
"What's wrong, Prongs?"
She asked quietly. James looked startled.
"What? Nothing, I'm fine, what do you mean?"
Skye rolled her eyes.
"James, don't deny it. Something's wrong."
She stated. James was quiet.
"It's the murder, isn't it? That was in the Prophet."
"Yeah."
James sighed, running a hand through his black hair.
"It's just that.. For fuck sake, there's a bloody war going on and.. This is sixth year, Skye. We leave Hogwarts next year and I don't think I'm ready. Not for the real world. Not yet. I can't leave the safety of Hogwarts and the comfort of my friends to.. I get so worried. Padfoot and the boys don't understand all the time. I'm scared, Skye. I don't belong in a war. I'm not a soldier."
He finished, his head down. He looked up suddenly, looking out from under his eyelashes. His hazel eyes met her sapphire orbs and Skye's heart ached for him.
"James, look, I don't know what to tell you. All I can say is.. It's out there. Weather we like it or not, it's there. The war, the death, the danger, all of it. We can't run. But I know you, James, and I know you well. You won't run. You're brave and fearless, why else would you be in Gryffindor? Trust me on this, you are one hell of a wizard, James Potter. Besides, it's a great big world out there. It's a great big war. But you need a great person to fight a Great War, and you, James Potter, are great."
Skye finished, dragging James up by his arms. Silence settled between them as James let everything we had said sink in. He cracked a small smile.
"Thanks, Skye."
He mumbled, pulling her into a hug. James and Skye had always had a good relationship- regardless of their fighting, they were like brother and sister, and they loved each other, but their relationship was purely platonic. James looked at her suddenly.
"Do you want to have dinner with us?"
He asked abruptly. Skye was taken aback and her heartbeat increased. Although she had always hated admitting her fears, especially to herself, Skye was scared. Of lots of thins, but in this case, it was losing her friends. In the hopes that she hadn't lost them already, she nodded hesitantly, biting her bottom lip. James grinned and brushed his years away.
"Come on, it'll be fun."
"James."
Skye stated, pulling back from him for a minute, hanging behind.
"Yeah?"
He questioned, the evening breeze whipping his hair. Skye's blonde waves were blowing gently and whipping across her face.
"I thought.. I thought you hated me."
She said quietly, running her arms. James' eyes widened behind his round glasses.
"What? No, of course not! We love you, Skye."
He said, shocked. The reality was a slap in the face; Skye was sure they hated her. Sure, she was annoyed at Sirius, but she didn't hate them and she certainly didn't want to lose them. James said it so casually, that they loved her. As if they weren't fighting at all. And maybe they shouldn't be. Fixing a determined smile on her face, Skye walked up to James and they headed back the castle.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.1K 216 33
"I remembered that you said that I'm always welcome at your house." Sirius mumbled. "I guess that was only when we were on good terms." Lorelai grabb...
52K 2.1K 110
Juliette Potter is finally at Hogwarts with her favourite person in the world, her brother! They have been together since the start of the time and n...
373K 10.3K 21
"Whatcha arguing about there, girls?" "Your dear sister here has a little crush." "I don't." "Your Gryffindor supporting cheeks tell me otherwise."...
40.2K 1.3K 29
"So if its words that you are looking for McKinnon, I am fluently gifted with the art of speaking. But I'd much rather spend every day showing you ex...