I Don't Need

Quiet. That was the only word to describe the Gryffindor boys dormitory on November first at six twenty two. One girl lay alone, in James' bed, her blonde hair fanned around her pale face. She had a split lip, but it was almost healed. The scar on her face was more obvious than ever on her pale face. Her shallow breathing could barely be heard throughout the silent room. Everything was still and quiet, an unusual way for the Marauder's room to be. The silence was shattered when soft footsteps were accompanied by hurried stomping up the stairs.
"Can you go any slower, Moony?"
Sirius grumbled, trying to push past his friend. Remus blocked him with his shoulder.
"Shh! She'll probably be still asleep."
Remus whispered as he carried a tea tray into the room. Sure enough, Skye was asleep. Sirius scowled and Remus nodded smugly, smirking.
"I rest my case."
He stated haughtily, setting down the tray. Sirius stuck out his tongue and stuck up his middle finger.
"Oh come off it, Moony. Anyway, why don't you go down for dinner, mate? Prongs and Wormtail are already down there and you've been watching Skye all day."
Sirius offered, smiling. Remus shrugged. Then, remembering he had found out about Sirius' feelings for Skye, picked up a book and began walking away.
"Yeah, you're right. Blimey, I'm starving. But em.. When Skye wakes up, give us a shout won't you?"
"Yeah, 'course."
Sirius grinned, turning back to Skye, watching her anxiously. Remus walked away to dinner, a small smirk playing on his face.

"Blimey, what time is it?"
Skye asked groggily, sitting up and placing a shaky hand on her head.
"Merlin, Skye! You frightened the life out of me."
Sirius laughed before looking at her seriously, his expression somber.
"How are you feeling?"
He asks quietly. Skye blinked a few times and dabbed at her split lip impatiently with the back of her hand.
"Okay.. I've a thumping headache though. To be honest I just want to sleep.. Maybe I'll go to bed."
She sighed, trying to sit up. Wincing, she lay back down as a stab of pain shot through her ribs.
"Oh fuck. Slytherin gits."
She muttered, narrowed eyes looking sideways. Sirius smiled a sad, lopsided smirk.
"What were you thinking?"
He asked quietly, reaching for her hand.
"I don't know.. It just got out of hand."
Skye replied with a sigh.
"You can say that again."
Sirius snorted, his voice sarcastic. He didn't mean it to come out as harsh as it did; Sirius had had mixed emotions for the past seven hours- shock, anger, relief, worry, sadness. He had just made up with Skye, they were barely even acquaintances, and if had lost her again to something so stupid it would have torn him apart.
"So.. Why didn't Lily put me in my own bed?"
Skye asked awkwardly. The tension was obvious, though neither one of them could say why. Sirius felt a stab of pain. Why was she asking about Lily? Wasn't he good enough for her?
"Well it was Moony and me who found you.. We obviously couldn't go into the girls' dormitory so we brought you here."
"Right. Well thanks, Sirius. I guess I'll be going now, wouldn't want to steal your bed from you."
She smiled awkwardly. Sirius felt as if he had just taken part in an awkward one night stand. Chuckling nervously, he laid a hand on Skye's shoulder.
"Skye, I you stand up you'll get sick. You fell down a stone stairs!"
"I'm fine."
Skye argued, standing out of bed. Stumbling forward, she had to grab Sirius' arm to steady herself.
"I'm fine. I gotta go."
She repeated, heading for the door. She didn't want to be alone with Sirius; they were only just acquaintances again, not even friends. And the kisses they had shared made everything so awkward now, when it was just the two of them.
"Oh come off it, Skye! You've been out like a light since this morning."
Sirius exclaimed, using a muggle expression Skye had taught him.
"Sirius, I'm okay! You're overreacting. You could have brought me to the hospital wing instead of putting yourself out."
"Skye, you know I wouldn't do that! Poppy would have asked questions and.. This, what happened with the Slytherin, it started because of Remus. I'm not thick, they were making fun of the scars on your faces! I couldn't let the teachers find out, this is personal. Really fucking personal."
Sirius almost yelled, looking at her, desperate. He was a mess- his gorgeous grey blue eyes were dark and wide, frantic. His hair was a mess, in his face and stuck to his forehead. He had been up for hours and missed every meal that day.
"Sirius please just calm down."
Skye reasoned, her voice soothing. Sirius ignored her, stepping closer to her.
"You can't run away from this again, Skye. Please."
"I'm not running from anything! I fucking well feel tired and I'm sick, it's no big deal."
She defended, clenching her fists. Sirius was wide eyed.
"No big deal? You could have been killed, Skye. Get a grip before you do."
He stated crossly, folding his arms. Skye raised an eyebrow.
"You can't tell me what to do, Sirius. I'm not running from anything, please just give it a rest. I know it's a personal thing but I had it under control."
"Under control? You were unconscious, Skye!"
Sirius yelled. Skye got defensive; she hated being yelled at.
"I was handling it! I could deal with it, all I had to-"
"Handling it?"
Sirius asked incredulously.
"If Moony and I hadn't come along, you'd have been a whole lot worse. Had it under control my arse."
He snapped.
"I don't need you to look after me Sirius! I told you I was handling it, I don't need a personal guard wherever I go! I can look after myself."
Skye seethed, going for the door.
"Fine."
Sirius bit back, turning away. Remus appeared in the doorway, looking nervous.
"S'cuse me, Remus."
Skye demanded, pushing past him. As she left, Skye heard a crashing noise and saw Sirius kicking at his chest, grunting in frustration.
"Sirius calm down-"
"Fuck off, Moony!"
Sirius snapped darkly, his voice quiet. He stormed out of the room, angling a kick at the chest of drawers on the way out.