The Match

The middle of February brought a chilly wind, clear days and perfect weather for a quidditch match. James paced nervously around the changing room, glancing at Sirius occasionally, who was leaning against the wall with his eyes closed. For once, I decided to put aside my pride. "James, it'll be fine. We have a kick ass team, and Ravenclaw don't. Stop worrying." I told him quietly. He stopped pacing and tuned to me. "D'you reckon we have a chance?" "Of course we do, you idiot! We've got this." I told him, rolling my eyes and standing up, gripping my broom. The short, shrill pierce o the whistle made us all jump into action, walking into formation. "Don't worry. You'll be fine." I whispered to James as the curtain went up. "Speak for yourself." Sirius grumbles quietly, stepping up beside me.

*************
Pinning the quaffle under my arm, I duck away from the Ravenclaw chaser and swoop towards their keeper. They have a good keeper, tall and muscular, but I don't think I've ever seen someone so cocky. He smirks towards me and winks, and there in lies the problem. As he's winking, I wink back and purse my lips. Looking down, I see James in hot pursuit of the golden snitch, head to head with the Ravenclaw seeker. Looking back up to the keeper, I blow him a kiss. He raises an eyebrow as I pretend to be drooling all over him, but I readjust my hand to flip the quaffle, out of my hand an through the goal post. A loud, long cheer fires up around the stands, and I swear I hear McGonagal shouting the loudest. "Oi!" The Ravenclaw keeper shrieks, outraged. "She cheated!" "I don't know you being a desperate dumbass begging for my attention counts as cheating." I tell him, winking as I fly away. After that, I score two more goals and it doesn't take long to for James to find the snitch. The commentator finds it hard to keep up with the match and eventually decides to just focus on James. "Potter dives, he swoops. I think he's seen the snitch!" I take my attention off the quaffle for a minute and look at James, his hand outstretched for the small, fluttering golden ball. The Ravenclaw chaser whizzes past me, clutching the ball and heading for our goal posts, and I jump after her. Shuffling to the very edge of my broom, I whack into her, hoping everyone's eyes are on James. "Hey!" She growls at me, but I only smile at her in return, following closely. I use my shoulder to press against her, eyes narrowed. The only thing she can do now is spin quickly to avoid falling, and as she turns, I dive downwards and end up close on her other side, pushing her further from her our goals as towards her own. "Potter reaches out, so close to the snitch! Can he catch it?" The commentator asks, and I mutter under my breath. "Come on James." At the last minute, I manage to stuff my arm under the Ravenclaw girl's arm, grabbing the ball. "Skye Turner scores another goal for Gryffindor! That's Gryffindor in the lead 90-70, with Potter right by the snitch. AND HES CAUGHT IT!" The commentator screams, causing the stands to erupt in noise- booing and sighs, but cheering is the loudest. A grin on my face, I turn to the Ravenclaw chaser, who is still hovering. "You played brilliantly." I smile at her. She scoffs and rolled her eyes. "Yeah, right." "No, really. You were great. Good game." I tell her, gesturing toward the ground. "We should get back down there. I'm Skye by the way, Skye Turner." "I know who you are." She snaps at me. "You don't need to rub it in that you won, Turner." "Jeez, I was being friendly. Trust me, if I had wanted to rub it in, I could have you in tears by now." I tell her, my gaze hardened, and I fly slowly towards the ground. It's only when I'm following the rest of the team that I hear three voices call together. "Skye!" I spin around, my blonde hair flying in its plait. Jared runs towards me, smiling, with Lily right behind him, holding Sam's hand. "Lily! Sam! Jared!" I smile at them, hugging each in turn. "You were fantastic!" Jared tells me, pulling back but keeping his hands wrapped around me. "Thank you. I think I heard you cheering." Sam wraps his arms around me. "Sam, you nearly fell off the stand you were cheering so much." I laugh, ruffling his hair. Even though I'm only three years above him in school, Sam is like my little brother. I see him moping through the corridors sometimes, he looks sad, but I can never figure out why. It doesn't help that he'll never tell me. "Come on, dinner is soon." Lily tells us, linking my arm. "I'll meet you there, I have to go change." I tell them with a smile as I duck under the flap of the changing room. "James!" I call, and he comes out, running a hand through his hair. "You played really well!" I smile at him. James seems confused as to why I'm talking to him, but smiles nonetheless. "Thanks. You were great too, considering it was your first match." "Yeah, I suppose it was. Anyway.." I trail off, slightly awkward, looking down. A loud crash sounds to his left, and James spins to see what's happening. My blue eyes snap up and I push the blonde hair from my face as Sirius swears loudly, tripping. I laugh lightly at him, grinning. He smiles back sheepishly but his gaze hardens when he sees its me laughing at him. I raise my eyebrows. "Good game Sirius." I smile. "Thanks." He grins suddenly. "I saw you make crap of that Ravenclaw girl." "Snobby little bitch." I reply darkly, watching his grin widen. "Listen, Skye.." James starts, stepping forward. "Yes?" I cut him off. "We're really sorry about not talking to you." "Okay.." I really don't like where this is going. "So we were thinking, could we.." "Shit! James, I eh.. Just tempered Jared is waiting for me with Lily and Sam. I've got to run." I tell him, darting out of the tent. I hear mutters as I leave. "Jared. Ugh. He's such a goody-goody." "Your just jealous, Padfoot." A voice laughs, and I recognise it as Peter. A heart laugh soles from somewhere, and I realise it's Remus. They're all back in the tent, but wouldn't talk to me. My gaze hardens and I clench my fists, walking into the Great Hall for dinner with Lily, Jared and Sam.