Thinking

"Hey, tryouts are in a few days!" Jared informs me, sitting down next to me at breakfast. Resisting the urge to roll my eyes, I turn to him with a smile. "Oh, good." I reply in an attempt to end the conversation with a short answer. "I think I might try out for seeker." He ploughs on. "Are you trying out? You really should because-" "Jared." I cut him off, my eyes meeting his. "Yes?" "Look, I really like you." I start, gulping when I see his face fall. "But.. I think, being friends has suited us better than being.. Anything more." "But.." He starts hopelessly. "We get along so well!" "Yes, I know, but we get along too well! Sixth year has just started and I don't want to be greeted with a kiss in the cheek from you every morning when we're only the second week in. Please try to understand? Not to mention, your in seventh year now, you'll be leaving soon enough. What's say we just go back to being friends?" I explain quietly. Jared looks down, his eyes meeting his food. "Sure." He mumbles. "Whatever."
The quidditch pitch is darkening by the time I walk out there, breathing in the warm breeze and smiling at the long summer weather. Rolling up my sleeves, I take a deep breath and walk quietly as dusk falls. The day had gone by quickly, with nothing interesting or worth talking about. I kicked half heartedly at a stone and pushed my hands down into the pockets of my leather jacket, my thoughts wandering to Jared. He was lovely, really he was. He was smart and sweet and kind, not to mention good looking. But.. It was all too much. Jared and me got on, but he was so good that it borders on lack of personality. As I think, I sing quietly to myself. A John Lennon song comes to me. "Imagine all the people.. sharing all the world, you hoo ooh ooh hoo." I duck under a flap and sit on the stands, walking to the Slytherin one. The sorting hat had thought about putting in Slytherin. Said I was ambitious. I wonder..
Only a few minutes later, I stand down in the grass again, pulling out a packet of cigarettes. I continue to sing as I fumble with my muggle lighter and engage in a habit I picked up when my Mum died. I put it between my lips and take a long deep breath in, the smoke filling the air around me. Pulling the cigarette down, I still sin the same John Lennon song, over and over. I listened to it all summer after Mum died. "I hope some day you'll join us, and the world will live as one." I finish to myself. A short, sharp clap startles me from behind. I'm not alone.

A/N: Yes, Skye smokes. Deal with it ;) Anyway, if I get one comment guessing who's behind her, I will update today!:) I know that the last few chapters have all been Skye just thinking, but I can guarantee things will heat up soon!