Single Tryouts

The day was freezing, despite the last of the snow melting in the bright sunshine. There was no wind, but the day was clear, crisp, and sharp. From the top of the owlery, Skye looked out over the landscape of Hogwarts. It was breathtaking, particularly on such a clear day. Most people were wrapped up in gloves, scarves and hats, but Skye was comfortable in jeans and a jumper- the cold didn't get to her. Her silver bracelet sparkled on her wrist, it was something she wore constantly, but mainly around her ankle. As usual, Skye's pride got in the way of herself and she didn't want to give Sirius and James the satisfaction of letting them see her wearing it. She pushed away the thought of how immature that was and clipped it around her wrist, hearing the slight jingle of the four charms on it. Kayn, her owl, nipped at her hand angrily, his green eyes harsh. Skye smiled sadly at him, feeding him. James had talked to her earlier, arranging to meet her at two on the pitch, and had said he'd bring everything for her to tryout. He had offered tomorrow, but Skye had declined- tomorrow was a Hogsmeade trip, and she was going to work and then meet Jared. James had been slightly bitter about that- he blamed Jared for the fight his two friends had had. Skye now sat in the owlery, thinking about being a chaser. Would it be worth it? I mean, she had always loved quidditch, but only her closest friend knew. Despite her girly, well dressed exterior, Skye was a complete tomboy at heart. She would climb trees in her best jeans, wrestle in her favourite top, and stomp through mud in her good boots. In fact, she was wearing jeans and a hoodie now, although she had her "tryout" soon. Sighing, she rubbed Kayn one last time, gazing out the window. He gave Skye one of his rare moments of affection, concern in his deep emerald eyes. "Off you go." Skye smiled at him, launching him off her hand out the window. He circled the owlery before spreading his dark wings and flying away, out over the lake. Something about Kayn lifted Skye's mood, and she hopped down the steps, ignoring the slippy ice on them. Still smiling broadly, she waltzed out onto the pitch. Looking up at the cloudy Skye, Skye noted the January snow starting to fall gently from the sky. She was looking up, head back, smiling, when she heard a voice call. "Skye! What are you playing at?" Spinning around, she came face to face with Rob. "Rob?" She spluttered. "Yeah?" He asked her, looking her up and down with a sneer. "What are you doing here?" She asked him. "None of your business." He said, and Skye stepped forward with we eyes narrowed. "It is if-" "Ah! Skye! Rob! Thanks for coming." "James what the hell are you doing?" Skye rounded on him. "Skye, look, your both trying out for chaser, I don't have time to-" "What?" "Skye I have a schedule to stick to, we need to know who's the chaser. It's between you two, no one else would try out." James told her, hurrying around. "The only reason I said I'd try out was because I thought it was just me doing it. In case you hadn't noticed, that means ALONE. Also, in case you haven't noticed, we're not very alone, are we James?" He asked him, raising her eyebrows and folding her arms. "Oh, grow up Skye!" Rob shot back at her. "Skye, please, I don't have time for this." James pleaded with her, undoing clips and picking up two brooms. Sighing, Skye unfolded her arms. "Fine." She said dramatically, grabbing a broom from James. James, being the drama queen he not so secretly was, blew the whistle for tryouts to begin. Rob smirked arrogantly, kicking into the air. Skye hated to admit it, but he was good. He could catch almost anything, serve, dive, duck, everything. She was frowning as she kicked off the ground when another voice cut through the air. "James!" Sirius called, jogging onto the pitch. "Padfoot! Thanks mate, we need another play to make up the numbers. Your against Skye, with Rob." James told him, nodding. Sirius smirked and sat on his expensive, upmarket broom. "Let's go." He said, gesturing for Rob to come over to him.
With James as her keeper, Skye played against Rob, who's keeper was Sirius. Despite being a beater, he made a good keeper as well. Skye sped around the pitch, her eyes narrowed against the blinding yet cold sun. Rob, a smirk plastered to his face, grabbed the quaffle. However, arrogance, as usual,got the better of him, and he tried to impress James by swooping downwards. "And there in lies the problem." Skye smirked, diving down towards the quaffle, which was falling fast. Grabbing it under her arm, Skye pulled up the broom and headed for the goal post. "How are you, Skye?" Sirius asked, trying to distract her. But that was his mistake. Sirius himself got distracted, looking at Skye, and missed the ball. It flew past his head, and he missed it by only a second. Skye's smirk grew as se tuned away- "Good, thanks, Sirius. Shame the same can't be said for you." She told him, gliding away.
The four of them practised for another hour and a half before it started to get dark, the sun sinking low over the trees. Rob had scored twelve goals- he was brilliant. But disappointment and bitter took over as he saw Skye land. She had scored fifteen. Rob was brilliant- but Skye was better. James and Sirius knew it too, as they landed beside Rob, who was glaring at Skye. She smirked back at him. "Success is the best form of payback" Dumbledore had told her once, appealing to her immature side. "Sorry Rob, mate." James started, walking over. "But I'm going to give it to Skye." He said, not sounding in the least bit apologetic. Rob mutters something that sounded suspiciously like "lousy git", shrugged, and walked away, throwing the broomstick on the ground. "Excuse him." Skye said bitterly, turning ti James and Sirius, who smiled at her. "Congratulations, Skye." James nodded. "Your our new chaser." "Yeah, and welcome to the team." Sirius added, jumping in. "Thanks guys." Skye said, realising how much she had missed them both since New Years. They nodded awkwardly and stood there before Sirius broke the silence. "D'you want to come to dinner with us?" He asked, a hint of hope in his voice. "Nah, I'm going to practice some more, then I'll get something from the house elves later." She smiled, regretfully. They nodded and left, slowly walking away. Skye kicked off the ground into the air, her head filled with (what should have been quidditch) Sirius. His smile, his arguments with her, his shiny hair, his laugh, everything. What she didn't realise, however, was Sirius was thinking exactly the same thing about her.