The Patronus Charm

This chapter is dedicated to Mcmia101 for voting AND commenting! Thank you!

"Settle down, settle down!" The Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher told them, entering the classroom with a aura of self respect and grace. "Now." He said, putting his books on the desk and looking up at them all. Silence fell over the room, even between James and Sirius. Skye, who was sitting beside Lily, leaned forward with intrigue. DADA had always been one of her favourite subjects, and she was good at it. Herself, Lily, James, Sirius and Remus were top of the class. Needless to say, Peter wasn't at their level with that particular subject. "Now that's everyone's settled, let's begin. Today we are going to cover a very difficult topic." Skye's eyes lit up; she loved being challenged. "We are going to attempt beginning something called the" he spoke very clearly now, insinuating every word "Patronus Charm." There was a series of mumbles and small, sharp intakes of breath around the warm classroom. Lily turned to Skye, her green eyes filled with excitement. "I can't believe it! I've wanted to learn this for ages!" She exclaimed. "Me too!" Skye answered, and couldn't but bitterly add- "I wonder who'll get it first.. Oh, I know!" She said sarcastically. "Potter? And Sirius Black?" Lily asked, amusement mixed with sadness in her voice. Lily didn't like James and Sirius, that was just a fact. But she knew Skye did, and it upset her to know Skye missed them so much. Skye, however, was still bitter about what had happened two days ago in the three broomsticks. James and Sirius had continued to call her over and ask for things, as if they thought it was amusing. Clearly they did, as they had shared a glance and a smirk every time she walked away. While Skye thought about it again, her eyes glazed over but stayed fixed on the professor. He was telling them the incantation and showing them the wand motion. A clang and loud knock broke Skye's train of thought, and the class swivelled in their seats to face the door. Professor McGonagal entered, her hat perfectly pointed, as always, and her robes pristine. "Professor." She greeted, nodding. "Good morning, Professor McGonagal. What can I do for you?" He asked her, smiling. McGonagal retuned the smile and began walking to him, then whispering quietly. The Professor nodded, still smiling all the while. Eventually, McGonagal turned away from him, her business finished. "Headmaster Dumbledore has asked me to see to the classes of my house." She announced. "As do other teachers and their houses." Skye knew that meant Slughorn would be in here soon, checking up on the Slytherin's they had DADA with. "Continue with your work, students. Professor McGonagal and myself only wish to help." Their teacher smiled, and Lily was the first to return to work. Concentrating hard, Skye watched her friend and tried to think of a happy memory. None from home anyway, she knew. Her house was horrible, her family worse. School, though, was a different matter. She remembered, with a sad smile, that most happy memories involved Sirius and James. It wasn't that she wasn't talking to them, she was just annoyed at them both and all their annoying qualities seemed to coming up more. Sighing, she concentrated. There was the lake, detention, Hogsmeade trips, classes, times in the common room, boys dorm and Great Hall. Finally, she settled on a memory. Her and Sirius were walking by the lake edge when James came running up, waving a new broom he had just got from his parents as a present for making the team yet again. He had yelled and laughed and promptly been pushed into the lake by Sirius, who laughed so much he sat down. Skye had tears streaming down her face with laughter as she clutched James' broom when Remus and Peter joined them. Simple, but powerful and incredibly happy. "Expecto Patronum." She muttered, and opened her eyes. A light, grey blue mist flew from her wand, but it was gentle and faded away quickly. This happened again and again, no matter what the memory was. Sighing in frustration, she looked around. Lots of people were getting it, not necessarily a full bodied patronus, but close, and they held it. For the first time in years, Skye was bottom of DADA class. Annoyance and exasperation took over and she slammed her wand down on the table. "Turner." A crisp voice said sternly, but there was a trace of amusement on McGonagal's face. "Yes, Professor?" Skye mumbled. "Relax." The older woman told her quietly. Skye's eyes snapped upwards- she wasn't getting in trouble. "Your top of my class, don't think I don't know your top of this one, too." McGonagal said, and seemed to.. Smirk. "Good luck." She added finally, then her hands shifted, she paused for a moment, and left. Skye frowned in thought and, ignoring her desk, sat and watched Lily. She would take McGonagal's advice tomorrow.

"I'll meet you at dinner, okay?" Skye smiled at Lily, who waved and agreed to see her in the Great Hall. Lily, being the good student she was, had her books packed up. Skye's desk, however, was a mess, and she hadn't wanted to make Lily wait for her. Stuffing her last book in her bag, Skye looked up to check over her desk. A dusty old book lay on the desk, a layer of dust covering it's pages. Frowning, Skye picked it up. It was a thick, leather bound, interesting looking book. Opening the hard cover, she found scrawly handwriting. "Skye Amelia Turner." It read in clear print. Her frown deepened as Skye pushed the book deep into her bag, exiting the classroom. "Property of Skye Amelia Turner?" She muttered to herself. But she didn't own it, and she couldn't remember ever owning it. Strange.