Summer and All its Lies

I yank my suitcase up the last steps, grumbling about the long walk home from King's Cross. The door, it's usual dark green colour, gets slammed against the wall as I step into the house, angry and frustrated. "Hey! Adam, if that's you, I'll-" "It's me!" I yell at my Dad, noting the slur in his voice. Odd. "Skye?" A voice calls as I walk into the kitchen, my trunk at the door of the stairs. "Hey, Adam!" I grin at my brother, about the only one in my family I get on with, apart from my Mum, who I haven't seen yet. Pulling back from the hug, I glance around the room and see my brothers and sisters glaring at me in hate and dislike, my father in the middle. And so begins another great summer..
***************
"I haven't seen Mum all this summer! Where is she? I've been home for weeks now." I ask Adam as we stand in the kitchen. It's the truth- I've been home for weeks, but Mum has been on "business." It's a touchy subject- everyone seems to tense up or go cold when I mention it, but I love my Mum more than anyone else in my family, and I want to see her. "Adam?" I prompt him. "What?" He snaps irritably. My eyes widen and I decide to leave it, walking out of the room. I hear a voice as I leave. "We should tell her." It's Adam. "No." Another voice replies firmly. I think it's my Dad.. "She'll completely flip, go mental!" "I know! But let's just keep putting it off." But by then I've walked too far away to hear the rest of their conversation. Weird, I think to myself.. Weird.
***********
I push my hair back from my face angrily and wipe my smeared hands on the baggy shirt I wear only for painting. I've really gotten into it this summer- when I spend all my time up on my room, I tend to pick up new hobbies. Last year it was singing, now, it's painting. "Skye!" Adam yells up the stairs. "Aye?" I yell back with a smile. I am almost see him rolling his eyes. "How's your painting going?" He asks, poking his head through the door. "Okay, I suppose. What do you think?" I ask him. "Wow, it's great!" Adam exclaims, his eyes bright. "Thanks." I smile back, looking at the painting. It's a hand, holding another hand tightly, a mass of colour exploding in between. "Um.. So yeah. Just checking. Dinner's ready." I smile back and nod. Here goes another half hour dinner of silence and my family glaring at me.

************
Ah, summer. Thank god it passes so quickly, or I think I would die from boredom. At least in Hogwarts there's always something happening, something new, something different. I sigh as I flop down on my bed and stare at the ceiling, humming. My things from Diagon Alley lie at my feet and Kayn hoots from his cage, snapping at the bars. "Shh!" I bark at him, gazing out the window. I'll go back to Hogwarts next week- the train leaves in a few days. With the realisation that I'm really thirsty, I head downstairs. As I quietly sneak down the last step, the voices in the kitchen rise. "For God's sake, Adam, we can't pull the wool over her eyes for much longer! She's sixteen!" "Skye does not need to know! Your well aware she'll just blame herself!" Adam yells back. "I don't see why she shouldn't! If that creep hadn't come by, Mum would still be-" My other brother puts in. "Don't say it! I can't take it. I'm telling her." My Dad's voice replies, followed by the scraping of a chair. He marches into the hall and his eyes lock on mine. My three siblings come down the stairs and walk past without a glance at me, going into the kitchen. "Dad what's going on?" I ask uncertainly. He sits down with a sigh and for once, only for a second, there's a flicker of sympathy and pain in his eyes, and then it's gone. "It's difficult, Skye. You see-" "Mum's dead." Charles puts in harshly. My body tenses and I go cold all over. What? My Mum can't be dead.. She's so.. Careful. She would never let herself get into trouble or.. Anything. The kitchen is filled with an awkward silence as I let the news hit me- but it doesn't. I can't believe she's dead. I physically can't do it. It doesn't hit me, not in the cold kitchen with the sun beating through the window, not with my shorts clinging tight to my tanning legs, not on this perfect summer day. I know I haven't seen her in ages, not since last September, but.. I can't believe it. My body heats up and I look around at everyone. "How?" I manage to choke out. My older sister practically spits at me. "Because of you! You and your freak show friends!" "Ava, come on! It's not Skye's fault." Adam defends, putting his hands on my shoulders. "Yes it is! If Skye hadn't gone and-" "ITS NOT HER FAULT THAT MUM AND DAD ARENT LIKE HER!" Adam yells loudly. My Dad looks tired and frustrated. "What's going on? How did Mum.." I swallow. "Dying, have anything to do with me?" "Skye.." Adam takes a shaky breath. "Some.. Creatures came by with wands. They were black and hooded, with cloaks and well.. Said something about.. muggles." My eyes widen and my stomach just about hits the floor. "Death Eaters." I mutter. "What?" Ava glared at me. "Death Eaters. They're a.. Rising power, I suppose. In the wizarding world." I explain quietly, my voice catching. My eyes flicker up and see my family glaring angrily- they hate me. I know they do. They blame me. I know the Death Eaters hate muggles, but my Mum's never done anything to them? Has she? No.. It's not fair. It just.. Isn't fair. With a shaking breath I look around at my family. They're all glaring at me, hate and anger behind their cold stares. "I'm sorry." I tell them shakily, walking away, upstairs. I'm not coming out until the first of September. Not a chance.

A/N: Hey! So kinda boring chapter, but I had to establish Skye's home life and that her mother is dead. Anyway, start of sixth year in the next chapter! I'll update a lot lot quicker now, although I do have exams this week! But please vote, comment, and follow :) Hope you enjoy!