Taking Care of Things

"Rise and shine Lily, happy Saturday!"
I sing to her, pulling back the curtains. My answer is an incomprehensible groan from beneath the duvet. I roll my eyes, smiling. Despite what half the population of Hogwarts believe, Lily is actually an incredibly heavy sleeper and loves her Saturday morning lie ins. But not as much as she loves me, clearly.
"Good morning, Skye."
She answers, smiling softly. Pulling the duvet around her shoulders, she runs a hand through her red hair.
"How are you?"
I ask her with a smile.
"It's too early to say I'm good."
Lily replies with a grin, burrowing under the duvet again. I shake my head at her, loudly whistling "Maggie May" as I draw back the curtains. Basking in the sunlight, I appreciate the warmth that is rare in a late October day such as today. Lily sits up, studying me with a quizzical frown and an amused smile.
"What's got you in such a good mood?"
She asks curiously, like it's a big deal for me to be happy. Although, recently, I can see why she would be surprised.
"I don't need a reason to be in a good mood, Lil."
I tell her with a shrug. "I'm just happy."
"Good. I'm glad."
I continue humming softly before turning around to face my bed. Picking up a tray, I head to Lily's bed, looking down at her with a smile.
"Hey, Lil?"
I grin.
"Mh?"
She arises from beneath the covers, a look of surprise covering her face at the tray in my hand. Smiling, I look down at the breakfast I've put together with the help of my three favourite house elves. Two croissants sit on a small plate, buttery and soft. Beside it, a bowl of strawberries and raspberries are placed delicately beside a glass of pumpkin juice. Lily's favourite muggle book, Pride and Prejudice, is lying over a plate of bacon, sausages and a hard boiled egg some just the way she likes it.
"Oh Skye!"
She breathes, eyes wide. I hoped she'd be happy- It had taken a while to get my hands on the book because Lily had lost her copy halfway through and never got to finish it. Eventually, I had convinced Adam to buy it in a muggle shop and owl it to me. Smiling, Lily sits up and I place the tray on her bed.
"You didn't have to do this, y'know."
She informs me, eyebrows raised.
"Yes. I did!"
I tell her as I plonk down on her bed.
"Honestly, Lily, you've helped me so much recently, not just with homework but I mean emotionally as well. You're my best friend and I care about you so much! So I know it's not much but I thought the least I can do is make you breakfast."
I tell her with a smile, patting her leg through the duvet.
"I haven't done that much."
Lily replies modestly, pulling a croissant in half.
"Yes you have!"
I tell her, taking the buttery half croissant she offers me and biting into it.
"I mean, what with my Mum.. Dying, and my on and off fighting with the Marauders. And all my rants about Sirius, and talking about Jared and just.. Everything."
"It's okay, Skye, honestly. I would do it all again and again and again to make you happy. Your my best friend."
She says softly. I almost start to tear up as she pats my hand, but I push lack the tears. I don't cry. It doesn't suit me. It doesn't match my new look that I've created this year.
"Right!"
I say loudly, hopping up suddenly and patting my legs through my skinny jeans.
"Where are you going?"
"To the Great Hall."
I tell Lily, swinging out of the doorframe and shrugging on my black leather jacket.
"I'll leave you to your breakfast in peace. Enjoy, my darling."
I wink at her as I leave.
"Wait, Skye!"
She calls out to me.
"Yes?"
I stick my head back through the door.
"What are you doing today? What are you up to?"
Lily asks me, eyeing my happy nature suspiciously.
"There are people that need seeing, talks to be had. I'm sick of being depressed and lying in bed all day. I'm fixing it. I'm taking care  of things."
And I swing out of the door, away.

**************
I had never realised how much I could achieve once I set my mind to something. Things will change today. I will make them. I repeat this in my head as I stroll towards the Great Hall, hands in my pockets, humming a Queen song. A group of Ravenclaw first years eye me warily as I saunter past slowly. I hear them whisper as I walk away.
"Who is that?"
"That's Skye Turner, she's a sixth year. Scary, eh?"
"Little bit, yeah."
Slowing down, I listen carefully and duck behind a wall.
".. And she always wears that leather jacket she had on. Honestly mate, she creeps me out."
"She's not scary!"
"Not scary no, but she beat up three guys last year. Landed them in the hospital wing for two weeks."
"Woah."
"Yeah, she's Sam's friend. He was telling me about how she's gone all hard and cold and mean this year."
"Huh. She's pretty though."
"Yeah. She is nice, just.. I suppose, really precise about who she's nice to. She doesn't take anyone's crap, I suppose, which is good. C'mon mate, let's go find Roan."
I smile as I hear their conversation. Perfect. Just the look I'm going for. Shrugging up my leather jacket, I put a smile on my face and enter the Great Hall. It's time to take care of things.

A/N: So I know the chapter was short and terrible, but I needed a filler and to establish Skye trying to get her life back on track. Let me know what you thought?:)