The Art of Ice and Magic

Skye's POV:

It was cold and dark by the time I walked outside, humming under my breath. The wind whipped around my hair but didn't get to me, as I had told James so many times before, I was immune to it. McGonagal's words from earlier that day sounded in my ears- "I find it easier to practice at night" or something like that. My mind raked through all the memories I could recall, with Lily, or James, or Sirius, Remus and Peter. Clutching the book I had received earlier from I have no idea who, I walked to a shady area, where hopefully no one would see me. Trees surround it so it should be hard to notice me. My breath rises in clouds around me and I smile into the dark night. A memory filled my mind suddenly, big and bright and beautiful, full of laughter. "Expecto Patronum." I say quietly, flicking my wrist with my wand held tightly. My eyes, which had been clenched shut, open slightly. A silvery light drifts from my wand and I roll my eyes. It's terrible. "Expecto Patronum." I say again, very clearly this time. The grey mist brightens, turning to an almost blinding silver glow, and suddenly a beautiful, elegant Panther appears, slinking through the mist an across the ground. It's beautiful, with wide green eyes and an alert yet calm look on its coloured face. Sighing, I watch it fade away with an immense swell of pride in my stomach. I had done it! So many people in the class were unable to produce a full bodied patronus but I could, and it had walked and everything! It was stunningly beautiful. Breathing in the air, I thought about everything that had happened recently. There was something incredibly calming about the patronus, and even the arguments with Sirius didn't seem so bad. I turned and walked towards the castle when I saw something strange in front of me. A small, dark tabby cat was watching me intently, it's eyes intelligent and.. Watchful. I blinked, trying to put my finger on where I had seen it before. I open my eyes and come face to face with the door to the castle, where I had been walking. As soon as it had appeared, the cat was gone. Weird.. Very weird.

The next day in the common room, I'm sitting by the fire, reading, when Lily sits beside me. "Hello." She greets, pulling out a book from her brown bag. "Hey Lils." I smile. Suddenly, Lily leans forward excitedly. "The Patronus Charm is amazing!" She says, eyes glistening with happiness. "I know! Yours is beautiful!" I tell her, smiling hugely. "Thanks." She laughs, going back to her book. I can see the slight irritation in her face before she turns to me, trying to be the polite girl she is. "You didn't.. You didn't quite manage it in the end, did you?" She asks me, sounding like she wants to know the answer without sounding rude. "No." I say quietly, looking down. I weigh the risk, should I tell her about last night? Or not?.. "But I did. In the end." I say, frowning at how strange it sounds. "What do you mean?" She asks me. "I kind of.. Left. Last night." Her eyes widen as I speak. "Not far! I just went for a stroll out into the grounds.. See, McGonagal had told me that the Patronus Charm works better at night for some people, and.." I say, but stop. My eyes widen. The penny drops. "And what?" Lily prompts. "I.. Have to check something! Back in a few minutes!" I say, jumping up and running from the room with my book under my arm. I finally made out the runes on the cover of the book. It's called "the art of art of Ice and Magic."

A/N: Hello! So for a while the story is going to be through Skye's eyes because two people said it would be different and I think it could be interesting.. Anyway, small challenge. Can anyone guess what I meant by "the penny dropped?" Or where Skye is going? Anyone? Anyone? Go ahead and try guess, whoever gets it will get.. A chapter dedicated to them. And my respect, which, in itself, is enough. An they can have a scene or character added in! Good luck :)