A Bit of A Clichè

"Hey Skye."
"Hey, Sirius."
"I told you I'd see you at the party, didn't I?"
He smirks. I laugh and pour myself another drink. The two of us stand awkwardly for a moment, alone by the drink table. Sirius looks good in a white shirt, sleeves rolled up and hair messy from dancing, and no doubt drinking.
"Thanks for.. Your help just there, by the way."
I smile quietly.
"Not at all. Pervy little git."
He adds with a glance over his shoulder, clenching his fists.
"Well.. Yeah, thanks. And thanks for my lighter back as well." I add. Sirius perks up immediately.
"Yeah, that's eh.. A muggle thing, isn't it?"
"Yeah, but they're good."
"I don't doubt that." He smiles, his hand darting out to grab the nearest drink.
"So.. Yeah, I guess. Look Sirius, thanks for your help. I appreciate it. I think I'll go find Lily and-"
"No wait!" He cuts me off quickly. "I mean just.. I saw Evans talking to James. Wouldn't want to mess that up, now would you?" He smirks, taking a drink.
I can't help but smile as I roll my eyes.
"No, I suppose not."
Sirius nods, smiling all the while. We stand awkwardly for a minutes, lthe silence loud. I have so many things to say- so many questions and feelings that I need to tell him about. But I freeze, stuck in the awkwardness of the moment. Eventually I speak up.
"This music is great!" I grin.
"Isn't it? I love muggle music!" Sirius agrees with wide eyes and an energetic grin.
"It's great. Respect for whoever picked these songs."
Sirius goes silent and his eyes hit the flor suddenly, shy and hesitant. I frown.
"Sirius?"
"Aye?" He grins sheepishly.
"What's the shifty look for?" I question.
"Oh nothing, nothing. Yeah, these are good songs."
"Did Remus pick them? He'd know all about muggle artists." I press. Sirius shrugs innocently, before sighing and meeting my eyes.
"Actually, Skye, you picked the music." He admits quietly.
"What?" I frown, confused. "I can't have, Sirius, we.. We haven't spoken in weeks." I tell him, my voice soft.
"Yeah, but it was ages ago when you picked the music. It was unintentional. You.. You made a list of all the good muggle songs for me, and.. I suppose I just liked them all so much that they were the ones I decided to play tonight." He smiles, shrugging.
"I hope that's okay with you!" He adds quickly.
"Sirius, it's fine!" I laugh as I take another drink.
"Well good, cause-" he scratches the back of his neck with another sheepish smile- "you wouldn't believe how many people have come up and told me that the music is good."
My eyes light up.
"Well good, I'm glad. The party is great."
"You think so? I think so. If there's one thing Sirius Black knows, it's how to throw a party." He says arrogantly.
"Even Lily said you and James could throw a good party."
"Evans said that? Seriously? Bloody hell."
"Hm hm!" I nod enthusiastically, taking another drink. I spot Marlene, alone a few steps away.
"Alright Sirius, I'm gonna go." It would be awkward if it wasn't for my mass consumption of alcohol. "Thanks for your help, again." I smile, walking away. I trip slightly in my high heels but a firm arm grabs my elbow.
"Careful, okay Skye?"
"Always." I smile up at him before walking to Marlene, who asks to dance.

****************
I linger by the drinks table for a while, looking around. Somebody, running the music, has the idea to put on a slow song. "I can't help falling in love with you" by Elvis Presley. The entire atmosphere changes from buzzing and drunk to.. Relaxed and drunk. Boys and girls, couples and some pairs of boys and boys or girls and girls, all start to slow dance out on the floor. I stand beside Lily who glances at me every so often, making sure I'm not drunk. I am, but only mildly, and in a good way. A dark haired boy, with a posse behind him, laughing as his friend reaches out to touch a girls ass, approaches us.
"Evans my dearest, may I say your looking dashing this evening?"
James slurs drunkenly. Lily rolls her eyes, but smiles slightly.
"Nice try." She replies shortly.
"Ah come on! Come dance with me Evans."
"No thank you."
Remus and I watch the scene unfold, amused. Peter watches James intently and Sirius.. I can't help but notice he's staring at me, his eyes travelling up and down my body in the tight blue dress.
"Please?"
"Potter, I said no. Don't make me get annoyed." Lily says, but the smile won't leave her face.
James rolls his eyes.
"I'll make you a deal! You give me one dance, and I promise, on my honour as a Gryffindor, that I'll leave you alone for the next week." He bargains.
Lily's green eyes roll again. But, to my surprise, she sighs and glances at me. I shrug carelessly. She copies my actions.
"Fine. One dance! And no funny business." She warns as she reaches out to take his arm. James explodes. Eyes wide, he punches Sirius in the arm, jumping up and down.
"Moony, did you hear that?! Wormtail, she.. I don't believe it!" He even turns to me. "Skye! This is great! Isn't it?"
I laugh loudly at him. "Yes James, it is."
"Just ONE dance, Potter, don't get ahead of yourself. Come on." Lily smiles as James takes her hand and leads her away.
"Wow." I state loudly, downing another drink.
"Yeah, who knew?" Sirius speaks up from beside me.
"Not us, clearly." Remus puts in.
"Yeah.. But it is only one dance." I remind them.
"Try telling James that." Remus says from beside Sirius.
"Merlin, he'll be up all night discussing flower themes for their wedding." Sirius grumbles. I splutter, laughing hysterically. Sirius turns to me in amusement. He watches me laughing uncontrollably before his dark eyes light up.
"Hey, Skye?"
"Hey, Sirius?"
"Uh.. Look I know this is a bit cheesy, but, eh, d'you want to go dance?" He asks me.
Remus slaps him upside the head as I turn to look at Sirius.
"For Merlin's sake Sirius, Skye is a lady!" He laughs, slightly drunk. "And one must ask a lady to dance properly!" He informs, emphasis on every word, attempting a posh accent, tripping slightly as he leans on the table. Yes, most definitely drunk.
"Fine, fine." Sirius rolls his eyes before turning to me.
"May I have this dance, m'lady?" He asks with a sweeping bow. I giggle quietly.
"Really?"
"Of course Madam!" He says as he grabs my hand, kissing it. I suppose I only have so many chances to patch up what happened last year. Or maybe it's because I'm drunk. Either way, I take his hand and he smiles at me, leading us out onto the dance floor. His arms go around my waist as I hook my hands over his shoulders, our eyes meeting. Perhaps Sirius isn't quite as drunk as he's pretending to be because the first question he asks me is-
"Do you think you'll ever forgive me?"