Train Rides and Tears

I take one last glance back at Hogwarts as the carriage pulls away, one final look at the castle in all its majesty. It truly is my home, I've found more there than I ever would at home. Kayn squawks on his cage, as if reminding me he's still there. I glance down at him and tell myself I'll be back soon, I just have to get through this summer.

***************
The familiar sight of the scarlet steam engine greets me, spreading a smile across my face. "Come on then!" Marlene smiles as she pulls me out of my thoughts. I nod back and board the train, looking for an empty compartment, glancing in at the first, second, third and fourth years. "Skye! Stop intimidating the first years!" Lily hisses at me. "I'm looking for Sam!" I lie quickly. She shakes her head and continues on, sliding open a door nearby. Plonking down on the seats, we talk rapidly as the train starts to pull away from the small station in Hogsmeade. "I can't belie that's another year over!" Alice says quietly. "Yeah, me too." "You know." Marlene says, as if she's had a great revelation. "I think I'm going to try out for the team next year." She tells us with a smile. "Really?" Lily gasps in mock surprise. "Thats so wired, Marl." I tell her with a smile. She giggles falsely and leans forward, turning the conversation towards me. "So Skye, what ever happened to Jared?"

***************
"And that's how it turned blue!" I finish. Mary and Alice clutch their stomachs, laughing, while Marlene stares at me with a look of pity and confusion, and Lily shakes her head. "It's a muggle product! In fact, I'm thinking of trying it again because-" I get cut off by the door sliding open to reveal a smirking black haired boy. "Hello, Evans." He greets. I roll my eyes and notice Lily doing the same. "What is it now, Potter?" She asks him, exasperated. "I was just wondering if you'd like to get in contact over the summer. You see, I have quite the fair bit of good looks and thought it would be nice for you to able to accompany me to dinner." "Please." Lily scoffs in reply, shattering James' smug expression. "Aw, better luck next time, James. Come on." Sirius says quietly, clapping a hand on James' shoulder and leading him away. A final glance out the window as they head off shows Sirius glaring at me, dislike and bitterness on his handsome face. He sees me, catches my eye. Our eyes lock and hold for a minute before he blinks once and walks away. With a sigh, I lean my head against the window and listen to the rumble of the wheels beneath the carriage. The window seat has always been mine, in with the boys or with the girls, it makes no difference. I live in the city and rarely see the countryside, so I spend a lot of the train ride gazing out the window. "Hey! I have an idea!" The girls jump in surprise at my sudden outburst. "What?" Lily asks me with interest. "Hang on.." I rummage in my trunk and finally find it- something I've used a lot since my birthday. "Your camera!" Mary explains happily. I nod once and pull open the photo album, staring at the picture of me and Lily with the girls and Sam, and then my eyes land on the picture of me, James, Sirius, Remus and Peter. The five of smile at the camera, our arms around each other. As my eyes skim over the picture I notice something, a small, almost insignificant detail. Sirius and me are holding hands, clutching each other in a friendly gesture, but all the same, our fingers are laced together. Remus is holding me close, his arm awkwardly wrapped around my shoulders. James and Peter are smiling, their eyes clouded with tears of laughter in sunshine. Hot tears prick my eyes as I realise I've lost that. I screamed at them, and I'm still angry, I'm still fuming, but I love them all deep down. "Skye?" Lily asks me quietly, her voice laced with worry. "I'm fine." I tell her, my voice barely above a mutter. "No your not." She replies with caring in her voice. "I'm not." I repeat angrily, dragging a hand across my face to wipe away the splash of tears. Regardless of what I say, Lily wraps her arms around me, and Marlene pats me on the back sympathetically. "It's just.. Difficult." I tell them with a shaky voice. They nod comfortingly and smile sadly at me. The train ride continues for what seems like ages before Mary manages to crack a joke and make us all laugh, cheering the mood. And that's how it stays, all the way to Kings Cross Station. The train pulls up slowly as steam clouds the windows and I look out into the crowds of milling people, shoving and pushing. I drag my trunk off the train and put it on the concrete, talking to Lily. "Well." I start, looking around. "Another year over." She smiles at me and wraps her arms around me. I see Snape standing nearby, having back, looking hesitant. "Back in a sec." I whisper to Lily and hug the three girls individually, promising to write. Then I turn to Snape at the last minute, glaring. "Don't even think about it." I tell him dangerously. He frowns at me and I frown back, walking away with a sarcastic wave. Lily looks at me inquiringly but doesn't ask questions. "My Mum and Dad are over there." She tells me, and I smile sadly, knowing I won't see her for the whole summer, and that I'll have to wait for my parents for a bit. "Okay, well, goodbye Lily." I throw my arms around her shoulders and we hug each other tightly, smiling. "Thanks for a fantastic year. See you in September."

**********
"Come on Dad, where are you?" I sigh, tapping my foot as the station empties. "I don't know, but I'm here." A voice says from behind me. I turn and face Sirius, who stands beside James, with Remus and Peter standing nearby awkwardly. "What do you want?" I snap at him. He sighs. "I want to apologise." "I told you not to." "Well, I'm going to." "No. No your not. Because I'm not letting you." I answer shortly and start to walk away from them. "Skye, come on! Wait!" Sirius whines, following me. "No, Sirius." I tell him. A grip on my hand spins me around and I feel a pair of lips smash against mine in a gentle kiss. Sirius keeps his grip on my hand and breaks away from the short kiss. "Does that change your mind?" He asks with a smirk. He's unbelievable. "You must. Be. Joking." I answer, an walk away to meet my parents, looking forward to yet another boring summer.