Curses in the Corridor

A/N: Dedication of this chapter goes to Ragingdalek for voting! Thank you so much :)

"Bye guys." I laugh at Marlene, Alice and Mary, who have been making me laugh with back handed insults for the last hour, which I threw right back. "Bye, Skye!" They chorus, eating liquorice wands and cauldron cakes. I promised to meet Jared for a walk in a few minutes, outside the Library, because he had to put a book back. I walk down the corridor, humming quietly to myself, a muggle band song called "Don't Stop Believing" that my Dad loves. Slowly, my voice raises and I sing, but quietly and to myself. "Living just to find emotion, hiding-" I'm cut off by a loud, ignorant sniggering from behind me. I spin to see a boy who I know to be in third year smirking arrogantly. "Problem?" I ask him with narrowed eyes. "Yeah. Your singing." He remarks snidely, walking past me. I clench my fists and growl slightly, but instead of attacking him, which my instincts tell me to do, I close my eyes, take a deep breath and let my eyes open with a smirk plastered on my face. "Payin' anything to roll the dice, just one more tiiiiiiime!" I sing loudly, walking beside him. The boy frowns as I continue to sing, slightly taller than him, smirking. "Will you shut up?" He asks, rounding on me. I sing louder, meeting his eyes. "Shut up!" He yells angrily. "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise you could understand me." I say innocently, making his frown deepen. "I don't speak ape." I spit at him. "You don't know who your messing with." He says warningly. "You? I can tell from your whole posture exactly who I'm messing with. A dense, moronic jackass." I tell him with distaste. "I'm warning you." "Well go on then. Warm me." I tell him, smirking at his anxious face. "I don't have time for this." He says, flustered, walking away. I smirk triumphantly, lifting my head up an taking a deep breath.

***********
"I thought you said he'd be here!" A voice says, angry and obnoxious. "He will be! He was with his older brother in the library." A voice spits back. "Like the nerd he is." Another person adds. I slow my footsteps and eventfully stop, peeking around the corner and hiding. A pair of footsteps sound on the same side as the voices, hurried. "Oh look! In the Library, were you?" One of the voices asks. There's no reply and I frown deeply at the snide voice. "Your such a little nerd." "I agree. Just like your older brother." "Oh god, he's a right tosser." "Like you." A small voice replies, and I frown at how familiar it sounds, my hand closing around my wand for the second time in ten minutes. "Excuse me?" The first voice snaps back. "Oi! Get back here!" The voice says, and footsteps, which had been hurried for a moment stop, followed by a thud. "Ugh, fuck this." I mutter under my breath, turning the corner. My eyes widen in surprise and anger. Sam lies on the floor, open books scattered carelessly across the floor. Three boys stand there too, tall and muscular- well built, thick headed, intimidating. They're all smirking down at Sam, wands in hand. That is, until I turn the corner and they look up, the front boy smirking. I recognise him- he was the once who complained about my singing earlier, not five minutes ago. "What are you doing here?" He asks me in disgust. "I could ask you the same thing." I reply shortly, walking forwards slowly. "None of your business." He snaps back at me. "Assholes are always my business." I reply snidely, walking forward still. "Look at how slow she's walking. She's terrified." "Terrified? Me? Please." I answer airily. "But, one should always be careful when dealing with Neanderthals such as yourselves." The boy in the back jumps forward, shouting something with the word "bitch" in it. "Stupefy!" I yell as he lumbers forward. He stumbles backwards and falls, hit in the stomach with the stunning spell. I smirk and turn back to the other two boys. "Let go of Sam." I order them. Sam looks at me with wide eyes- he's terrified. "Let him go." I repeat. "Are you really that pathetic that you'd pick on a boy in the year below you? If your going to pick on someone, at least make sure they're in your year, or the years above you." "Like you?" One of them grins. I laugh bitterly. "Oh really? You couldn't pick on me if you tried." I tell them with a sneer. "Oh yeah?" "I don't have time for your bullshit." I tell them. "Let go of Sam. He's just a little boy." "Aw. Poor Sam, the little defenceless boy who needs a girl to protect him." "A girl?" I bark at them. "Why does it make any difference? A girl could knock all of you to the floor, you great lumbering oaf." The second boy, who had been keeping his foot on Sam's shoulder to hold him down, runs forward. Raising my wand, I flick my wrist. "Expelliarmus!" His wand flies from his hand, skidding across the stone floor. He lets out a grunt of frustration and tries to swing a punch at me. I side step his punch and he lunges forward, falling slightly. As he's getting back up, I raise my wand again, yelling the stunning spell. He falls down, landing on the ground. "You lot make me sick." I tell the first boy, rounding to see his angry but smirking face. "I aim to please." He answers. "Making a balls of that, though, aren't you?" I shoot back. "Expelliarmus!" He yells suddenly, and I feel my wand leave my hand. He catches it expertly, making me roll my eyes. Of course he's good at catching. "Give it back. And leave Sam alone." He shakes his head, and I feel the bottom of my hair freeze over. Ice crawls over the tips of my fingertips, threatening and dangerous. "I didn't know three people could be beaten up by a girl. As your pet ape was so kind to point out, I'm a girl. And now the two of them are on the floor." "Your older than us." He counters. "And your older than Sam!" "So? It's a brave thing to attack someone without a wand, and I've done that before!" "With a second year? You call that brave? I call it disgusting." "Your asking for it." He growls. "Yeah. I am. If I'm asking for it, them come on. Give it." I smirk. He jumps forward towards me, and I know he's going for a fist fight, considering he's taken my wand. Sidestepping, I turn around to face him as he spins back around. As soon as he sees me, my fist collides with his nose, a satisfying crunch meeting my ears. He steps backwards, reeling. "Skye, relax!" Sam calls. "It's fine." I tell him, laughing, facing him over my shoulder. That's a mistake; as soon as I turn back around, his arm is pulled back and he catches my cheek with his balled fist. "Ah!" I gasp, clutching my cheek. He smirks, blood dripping down his face. "Serves you right, mudblood." He snaps. I widen my eyes and stop to take the hit. The boy takes this opportunity to punch me in the lip, making blood swell up in my mouth and run down my lip slightly. Finally, I raise my hands- they're completely covered with frost. Ice entangles itself around his feet, freezing solid and he trips- his head hitting the ground with a crack. I sigh and impatiently wipe the blood from my lip with the back of my hand. "Skye!" Sam calls, walking over with a worried look on his face. I pick up my wand from the ground, closing my fingers around its handle. Black dots cloud my vision before I stumble, falling on my face.