A Terrible Idea

A/N: So this part of the story, which had been just finished, just got deleted. That had never happened with my other Marauder book but it's happened loads with this. Ew. Anyways, it's nearly Christmas where I am! Merry Christmas to everyone! Also, just a quick note: from now on, the person who gives the best comment/idea in this story gets a chapter dedicated to them :) Or else they get a character added in, or a scene in the book that they want! So whoever leaves the best comment or gives me the best idea gets that very small prize! Enjoy 🌺

Sirius and Skye sat in the silence, Skye at the top step of the stairs with Sirius leaning on the wall by the portrait hole. The silence echoed through the halls with the occasional laugh from the noisy common room. Finally, Skye sighed and rested her hands on her knees, staring ahead of her. She took a deep breath and held her head up. "Sirius. We need to sort this." She said firmly. Sirius lifted his eyes and shifted his stance. "Sort what? I don't see the problem." He said darkly. "Well, we clearly have a huge problem. We're constantly fighting." Skye told him as she rolled her blue eyes. "I don't see it. I thought we were friends." "Well so did I! But this year you've been.. Different. I'm not saying I'm myself either-" "I didn't notice any difference." Sirius cut her off angrily. "Well I have. I've been a little different, and I'm sorry. I'm accepting some of the blame here!" She said, turning to face him and leaning on the stairs bannister. "But you're not even trying to work out our problems!" She said loudly. "Didn't know we had any." Sirius replied, his eyes on the floor and his voice dark. "We've been fighting all year! I stopped talking to you for weeks earlier on in the year." "Yeah well.. That's because of Rob. And he's a complete tosspot. That was it." He said shortly. "No Sirius." Skye sighed. "We've been getting in petty little arguments and stupid fights all year and it's driving me mad." She said, putting her head in her hands. "Fine! Okay. Well then what do you want to do about it?" He asked her. Skye threw her head back and stared at the ceiling, way up above her. "I don't know." She laughed bitterly. Sirius clung to the shred of hope he had left- that Skye wouldn't say what she was about to. "We could.. Work on it." He suggested hopefully. "We've already tried that. It didn't work." Skye said exasperatedly. Sirius nodded, flicking his hair from his eyes, his arms still folded. The silence washed over them, clearing her head. "Okay. Look, Sirius, I know we're friends, we always have been-" "And we always will be!" Sirius said suddenly. The bitter laugh escaped Skye's lips again. "Sirius. Of course. But.. I think at the moment we need a break." "From what?" He asked, his head shooting up. "From.. Us. And you'll be able to spend time with your other friends without me and the same for me." She said sadly. A part of her knew it was the right thing to do- it was logical. But the other part of her wanted Sirius to scream and shout and grab her, and tell her they would always be friends, despite their constant fighting. She wanted to run to him and grab him, tell him it was a stupid idea and of course they were still friends. But that part of her stayed quiet, although it felt like a million butterflies had erupted in her stomach. Sirius, however, felt his anger bubbling again. "Fine." He said shortly, pushing himself off the wall. "Glad it's so easy for you to just drop me." He went to push open the portrait door angrily, but sadness got the better of him. He relented slightly, turning to look over his shoulder. Skye was still sitting on the steps, staring listlessly after him. It broke his heart. "I think it's a terrible idea, but if that's what you want then... Your wish is my command." He smiled sadly, then left.

As soon as he left, Skye felt the tears spill over her eyes. Trust Sirius to pull the guilt trip. She thought bitterly, pushing away the tears with the back of her hand. "Your wish is my command." Was their inside joke, something that had started back in second year. When they had met, James, Sirius, Remus and Peter had been walking in the dark forest- purely because they had been told not to go in there. Skye, however, had just received an angry howler from her parents in reply to a letter she had sent them about a broomstick. Thankfully, she had been in the owlery and not the great hall when she had gotten it. Skye had been walking through the woods when she met Sirius and the others. Twenty centaurs, fuming with rage, had stepped from the trees, their bows raised. When the five of them had run, panting and gasping for breath, narrowly avoiding the one fired arrow, Skye had stumbled. Her hands scraped along the ground and twigs caught in her hair, but it didn't compare to the pain in her leg, which snapped at a strange angle. Sirius had run back slightly with James, and picked Skye up. Slung over his shoulder, Skye winced repeatedly at the pain that shot through her leg, but was glad to have gotten away from the centaurs. Not that they would have attacked, but it was well known that they could be angry at the best of times. Afterwards, Sirius had run from the forest, but by then, he was laughing. The fear had disappeared from his eyes, replaced by a mischievous twinkle. James was double over, clutching his stomach, gasping for breath through his laughter. Remus, although worried, was grinning madly and attempting to fix his wild hair. Peter was giggling, but continually glancing back into the trees, his eyes wide. Skye laughed at how strange they all looked, pumped on the adrenaline of what had just happened. Pain shot through her leg and she winced again, Sirius' shoulder cutting into her stomach. "Um.. Sirius?" She said uncertainly. "Yeah?" He asked happily. "You're still holding me." She said quietly. "So?" "Put me down." She laughed. "Why?" He teased. "Put me down!" She said, hitting him lightly. Sirius had smirked, putting her down gently. "Your wish is my command."