I'm Not A Soldier

"It is the quality of one's convictions that determine success, not the number of followers."

- Remus Lupin

Skye wasn't surprised the next evening in the Great Hall, when the post arrived and Kayn didn't. She hadn't been expecting post, and she hasn't been hoping for it. Her Mum had been the only one in her family to ever write to her, and even then it was rare, and her Mum couldn't do that anymore. She watched none the less as owls swooped in, clutching letters and packages, dropping them all over the tables. Her eyes fixed on Lily's tawny owl as it screeched and landed gracefully in front of Lily.

"Thank you."

Lily smiled at the bird as it extended it's leg and she untied the paper. The bird hooted softly. Skye smiled and offered it a small crust of bread, which it pecked from her hand before flying off. Glancing at Lily, Skye saw her opening the Daily Prophet. The headline was in bold black writing, reading loud and clear.

"Oh dear."

Lily said softly, putting down the Prophet and covering her mouth with her hands. Skye leaned over and grabbed the paper.

"Muggle Family Murdered In Cold Blood."

The headline read. It was followed by a picture of two people, a man and a woman, lying beside each other. Their eyes were lifeless and their bodies limp. At their feet lay a small baby, only two or three, very much alive. That was possible made it so sad- the child was living but stared in boredom at his dead parents. He didn't recognise them.

"Can I read this?"

Skye asked. Lily nodded gingerly, her eyes sad and worried, and read over Skye's shoulder.

The article was horrible. An innocent muggle family had been murdered and their baby left orphaned- but the Cruciatus curse had left the boy mindless and insane. It was believed to be the work of Bellatrix Lestrange, Antonin Dolohov and Rodolphus Lestrange, all followers of Lord Voldemort. Lily's eyes filled with tears but she brushed them away impatiently. Skye stared at the paper in horror and anger, her fists clenching and unclenching.

"I fucking knew she was psycho."

She stated bitterly, her blue eyes glancing up at the Slytherin table.

"She was. She is."

Lily answered sadly. Taking a deep breath, Skye looked around, her min on the article. The willpower it took not to punch every Slytherin at the table was unreal.

"I can't believe someone would.. How could you even do that? I just.. It's unbelievable."

Lily whispered. Skye rubbed her shoulder soothingly. It was a stressful situation- this was yet another family killed, muggles. Her Mum was a muggle and had been killed because of it. It was only a matter of time before Voldemort targeted Lily's family and Skye's remaining relatives.

"It's so worrying."

Lily told Skye, her voice pained.

"I know, Lil, I know. It's horrible."

Skye whispered. The entire hall must have got the paper- an aura of sadness and despair hung over everyone. People were whispering and talking in hushed voices, bent over the Daily Prophet. The whispers and muttering were cut off by a loud slam and heated footsteps. The entirety of the hall turned to face James, who stood up and, ignoring the eyes of every student and teacher, walked out of the hall, pushing his hair back and sighing. The students were quiet as they shared glances between each other. Lily stared after James, her eyes wide. Skye frowned as she heard a sniggering from her. Turning with a glare, she saw Mulciber, Snape and Avery clutching their stomachs and cackling. Clenching her fist, she set her jaw and stood up. Stomping over to the Slytherin table, she slammed a hand down on the table between Snape and Mulciber. She glared between them.