Goodbyes and Greetings

I look in the mirror one last time and glance over myself. I take in my new hair and my new eye make up, smoky and dark. I look over my jeans and my top, the bracelets that run up and down my wrists. "I can't believe you did that." Adam sighs from his place in the doorframe. "Neither can I.. But it wasn't my fault! I just.. Lost control." I said warily. Adam's gaze doesn't leave my face or my hair as I pick up my bags and head for the door. "Well.. I guess I'll see you next year." I smile at him. He smiles sadly before enveloping me in a tight embrace. "Take care, little sister. Take care." I hold him for a minute and feel tears threatening to spill over. I glare at myself, harden my gaze and give Adam one last smile before I walk away.
************
The platform is busy and bustling when I step out onto 9 and three quarters, my heart hammering. It's great to be back. I push my hair away from my face and look around, eyes scanning. I can't deny that I'm looking for a dark head of black hair, stormy grey blue eyes and a careless grin. The person I kissed last year, the person I screamed at, cried over, shouted with and who ultimately, hasn't left my head since then. My trunk rattles as I walk towards the train and I tighten the grip on my new broomstick. I push past people who stare at me, glaring around at the first and second years. I was going into my sixth year and I was taller than them- I had more right as far as I was concerned. And besides, I could do with a few people being scared of me. "Skye! Skye!" A happy voice yells over the noise. The train blows smoke as I turn to face Lily Evans, who beams at me and hugs me tightly. "Hey Lils! How are you?" "Fantastic, you?" She smiles, picking up her trunk. "I'm.. Okay. I'm good." I reply, deciding not to tell her about my Mum yet. Lily looks at me skeptically before another call splits the air. "Skye!" Sam yells, running towards me. "Hey, little buddy!" "I'm not that little!" He exclaims, hugging me. "Nah, I guess not. But I'm still three years older than you." I smirk at him. "Yeah, but I'm three times better looking than you." He replies quickly. "Oooh! Well, you got quick over the summer, didn't you?" I ask him as Lily smiles at us. "Yeah, I did. Alright, I'm gonna go find my friends, I'll see you at the feast." He smiles happily. "Bye Sam!" Lily and I chorus, waving as we board the train. "Shall we find an empty compartment?" She asks. "Sure, yeah." I nod as we walk. Sliding the door open, we plonk down onto the seats and put away our trunks. As Lily turns around, her gaze hardens and she glares out the glass doorway. I follow her look and see Sirius, James, Remus and Peter. My eyes roll subconsciously as Sirius steps forward, ignoring Remus' hand on his shoulder, probably telling him to leave us alone. He slides the door open, James right beside him, both of them wide eyed. "What happened to you?"