Confusion

Skye had never seen Lily awaken more quickly.
"What?!"

Marlene joined her afterwards, followed by Alice and Mary, who threw back their covers to stare at Skye.
"What in the name of Merlin are you talking about?"

"I mean it!" Skye said seriously. "I think.. I feel in love. With him."

"Since when?" Lily demanded, downing in thought as she pulled a dressing gown on. Skye struggled with words.

"Since.. Ages ago. Since I first started hating him."

"Oh put it away, Skye, you're not making any sense."

"But I am! Think about it."

"We are thinking about it, Skye! You and Sirius have been fighting non stop since fifth year began."
Lily challenged. Skye looked to Mary for help- she was by far the most understanding of the group.

"Mary? Do you see what I mean?"

"I'm trying to, Skye, really I am.. I just.. I'm confused. If you like him, then, wonderful! I couldn't be happier, truly. I just don't understand.. How?"

There was a murmur of agreement. Skye sighed, got more comfortable on her bed and began talking.
"See the thing with me and Sirius is.."

It was an hour and 3.4 minutes when Skye was finished telling them everything. Her feelings, his feelings, their date, the time they spent together, why she only realised how she felt about him now, everything. By the end, she was holding out of breath and her eyes were shining like sapphires. The girls were beaming at her, their confusion gone, all questions answered.

"Wow.. Skye that's.. Just wow," Alice breathed. Skye took a deep breath and looked around the room. She fell back on her pillows.

"Why am I such a fuck up?"
She laughed bitterly.

"You're not! You haven't."
Lily reasoned. "You've still got time."

"For what though?"
Alice wondered out loud.

"Gee I wonder. Mh. What do two people who usually like each other do?"
Marlene said sarcastically, to which Mary and Alice rolled their eyes.

"I know that, Marley. I meant.. Is that what Skye wants?"

They all turned to look at Skye, who sat up, her blue eyes big and confused.
"I.. I don't know. The thing is, I.. I love Sirius. I always have loved him, but now I feel.. Like I'm in love with him. Like I want.. To just see him all the time and grab him and kiss him and.. And I just don't remember ever feeling this way about someone. Ever. But see, I couldn't love Sirius, until after I hated him. Until we got past all the hurt, all the feelings, the emotional baggage, we needed.. To be ourselves before we could love each other because.. We're human, and that's what humans do I guess."

"Wow, Skye," Lily started, "for someone who doesn't believe in clichés or love that was awfully cheesy."

"Oh stuff it Lily, just because that's how you feel about James doesn't mean-"

"Oh Merlin, don't even mention him. I thought we were talking about Black, although I don't like him much either."

"Yeah I know you don't," Skye sighed, "does it bother you?"

"Bother me? That you like Black? Of course not, Skye, don't be stupid."

There was a moment of silence in the dorm. It was as though everyone was at peace- a sense of comfort filled them now that Skye had admitted her feelings and they could rest.

"So are you going to.. Ask him out or something?"

"I'll wait," said Skye, "and see what happens. Tomorrow."