The Astronomy Tower

(Picture at the top is Skye)

''Jumping up and down the floor, my head is an animal. ''
- Of Monsters and Men

The days of October sped by with nothing but homework, talk of Halloween and a serious lack of Marauders in Skye's life. Still she remained optimistic, smiling and laughing with Alice and Emmeline, Marlene and Mary, Lily and Dorcas. She also spent a lot of her days with Sam, but avoided other boys. She had decided after her encounter with Charlie that her interactions with boys should be limited for a while, and she should focus on herself.

''Such a cliche line.''

Skye exclaimed one night at dinner as she explained to Lily why she was not accompanying any boy on the next Hogsmeade trip.

''What?''

Lily asked, looking up from her plate of mashed potato and ham.

''I just need time to work on myself. I can't be two when I don't even work as one.''

Skye said, putting on a fake simpering voice as she looked deep into Lily's eyes. Then she quickly pulled away and pretended to retch into her pumpkin juice.

''Ugh, give me a break. It's almost as bad as, ''it's not you, it's me.''

She said disgustedly, rolling her eyes.

''I agree completely, serious bullshit, but don't you think letting someone go gently is more kind?''

Lily asked sceptically. Skye spluttered and almost spat out her pumpkin juice dramatically.

''Kind?!'' She spluttered. ''Who said anything about kind? It's much more fun to stomp all over someone's heart and make them cry.''

**************

Despite her cheery disposition, some bad habits of Skye's still remained. Smoking, for example. She still had at least one cigarette pe day, sneaking out at night or standing by her least favourite tapestries to annoy them. That was why she found herself near the Astronomy tower one evening, lighting a cigarette with her favourite silver lighter. Two old women knitting in a nearby painting sniffed and glared at her before the woman in a pink dress spoke up.

''Really! Such incolence. Young ladies shouln't engage in such bahaviour.''

''Young ladies will engage in whatever the fuck they want, you stupid old hag.''

Skye snapped, glaring at them. The two ladies looked shocked. With an innocent smile, Skye blew smoke at the painting andwalked away with a smirk. As she reached the balcony on the Astronomy tower, she gazed out into the dusk. The sun was setting over the lake, casting it's pinky golden glow over the grounds and turning the windows red. Far off to the East, a faint star twinkled. Smiling, Skye put her cigarette between her lips and grabbed the balcony. With a jump, she managed to swing herself around and, letting out a sharp breath, pulled herself up onto the roof. It was a beautiful place with a perfect view of the grounds and the lake, giving Skye an amazing place to sit and think.

Breathless, she looked up to the other side of the roof. Shock hit her, because clearly someone else had similar ideas to her. A lone figure hunched across the rooftop, their legs dangling over the edge. Judging from the short hair and athletic build, the person was a boy, Skye could see that even in the dim light. And judging from the short breaths and sniffles that split the air, Skye assumed the boy was crying. Slowly, very slowly, she stepped forward and listened. The boy was clearly too engrossed in his own thoughts to realise her, until she was right behind him. And by then she knew who it was.