Harriet Potter and the Alpha...

By mermaid886

When Severus Snape survives his wounds after the Battle of Hogwarts, Harriet Potter offers to care for the ab... More

Chapter 1 - Thank You
Chapter 2 - The Unruly Patient
Chapter 3 - Farewell?
Chapter 4 - Under the Alpha
Chapter 5 - Let's be off?
Chapter 6 - Stirring the Cauldron
Chapter 7 - Startling News
Chapter 8 - An Omega in Distress
Chapter 9 - Warm Cookies, Soft Glances
Chapter 10 - Severus's Scheme
Chapter 11 - September's Ball
Chapter 12 - Severus to the Rescue
Chapter 13 - Blissful Union
Chapter 14 - The Cozy Weekend
Chapter 15 - Mine
Chapter 16 - What's to Come
Chapter 17 - Severus's News
Chapter 18 - Cravings
Chapter 19 - Domestic Bliss
Chapter 20 - Pleasant Plans
Chapter 21 - Severus's Favorite
Chapter 22 - Mrs. Snape
Chapter 23 - Good News
Chapter 24 - The Snapes' Nest
Chapter 25 - Expectations
Chapter 26 - Daddy to the Rescue
Chapter 27 - The Battle
Chapter 28 - A Princely Father
Chapter 29 - Maggie Snape
Chapter 30 - Pushing Forward
Chapter 32 - The Snape Family
Chapter 33 - An Alpha's Desire
Chapter 34 - The Interview
Chapter 35 - Hopes
Chapter 36 - Election Day
Chapter 37 - Discoveries
Chapter 38 - Decisions
Chapter 39 - The Minister-elect
Chapter 40 - Lessons and Games
Chapter 41 - Ancient Lullaby
Chapter 42 - Severus Snape, Minister for Magic
Chapter 43 - Bloodlines
Chapter 44 - A Visit from Eileen
Chapter 45 - Family Bonds
Chapter 46 - Old Magic
Chapter 47 - Of and With
Chapter 48 - Waiting
Chapter 49 - Across a Loom
Chapter 50 - Messages
Chapter 51 - Family
Chapter 52 - Origin of the Prince Family
Chapter 53 - Little Sev
Chapter 54 - Learning
Chapter 55 - Minister Snape's Dilemma
Chapter 56 - Talks
Chapter 57 - Forbidden Forest
Chapter 58 - Found
Chapter 59 - Severus, The Helpful Alpha
Chapter 60 - An Interesting Failure
Chapter 61 - Hallows
Chapter 62 - Severus and Harriet
Chapter 63 - Desperation
Chapter 64 - Hopes
Chapter 65 - Shopping
Chapter 66 - Maggie's Letter
Chapter 67 - Severus's Letter
Chapter 68 - Severus's Meeting
Chapter 69 - Meeting Hagrid
Chapter 70 - Letting Go But Holding On
Chapter 71 - The Sorting Hat Ceremony
Chapter 72 - Missing Maggie
Chapter 73 - Hope
Chapter 74 - Dreams
Chapter 75 - Coming Together
Chapter 76 - Preparing
Chapter 77 - Ready
Chapter 78 - A Family In Need
Chapter 79 - This Time
Chapter 80 - Hogwarts
Chapter 81 - Smiles and Rivals
Chapter 82 - Love, Harriet
Chapter 83 - What's to Come
Chapter 84 - Harriet the Heroine
Chapter 85 - Success
Chapter 86 - Healing
Chapter 87 - Brothers
Chapter 88 - Different Yet the Same
Chapter 89 - Fathers
Chapter 90 - Family
Chapter 91 - Love
Chapter 92 - Strong
Chapter 93 - Little Babies
Chapter 94 - Daddy's Back
Chapter 95 - Wrath
Chapter 96 - Time
Chapter 97 - Facing Severus Snape
Chapter 98 - Maggie's New Chair
Chapter 99 - Severus's Hatred
Chapter 100 - Home

Chapter 31 - Freedom

2.3K 86 12
By mermaid886

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every week!
—————————————————————

As soon as the Snapes stepped out of the lift, McGonagall stood ready to greet them.

"Professor!" Harriet exclaimed as her eyes widened in happy fondness at seeing her former teacher and temporary coworker.

"Minerva." Severus nodded at his old friend while Disencan blinked.

"Severus....Pot-, er, Harriet, how lovely to see you both!" McGonagall greeted her colleague before she nodded at her former student, "I'm glad that you're doing so well after such a terrible trauma."

Harriet smiled gratefully as she spoke, "Thanks Professor, but I've been through worse......Maggie and I are just fine now."

McGonagall's eyes traveled over to Severus and he lifted his chin proudly as he moved the baby carrier into her view.

McGongagall gazed inside at the tiny, sleeping girl and gasped quietly.

"Oh, Severus....." McGonagall breathed. She looked up at him and over at Harriet as she nodded at them both, "Congratulations! She's beautiful....."

"She's strong." Severus nodded with a smirk.

Harriet watched Maggie blink her eyes open and she smiled at her former teacher as she asked, "Would you like to hold her, Professor?"

The eager nod that McGongagall gave Harriet in response touched Severus.

Harriet gently lifted Maggie out of her carrier and placed the small baby into her arms.

Harriet smiled over at Severus while McGonagall cradled Maggie as closely and as tenderly as if she were her own daughter.

It amused Harriet to see her strict but kind Transfiguration teacher share such a tender moment with her infant daughter.

To Harriet and Severus's surprise, that sweet scene ended abruptly.

McGonagall frowned as she looked up at them both and explained, "You two are in grave danger, I'm afraid. Try to stall as long as you can, I've already contacted the Minister. He should be arriving shortly."

Severus narrowed his eyes at McGonagall while Harriet shook her head and asked, "Professor, I don't understand? What are you talking about? This is a Ministry trial."

"A Ministry trial, indeed." McGonagall huffed with an offended nod, "You'll see for yourself soon enough. Come on then, you two. We'll give them what they want for a moment. Kingsley will sort them out when he gets here....I expect he'll be with us as soon as we step into the room. If there's to be any justice, he must see what's going on."

McGonagall carefully placed Maggie back into her carrier before she escorted the Snapes down the corridor to their assigned courtroom.

To Harriet's dismay, as they approached the door, a plethora of reporters were lined up in the hallway to ambush the couple.

As the accused pair passed by, cameras flashed and questions rang out.

Disencan followed along while Harriet squeezed Severus's hand.

He frowned as he protectively clutched Maggie's carrier in the crook of his arm and ignored the press.

McGonagall hurriedly walked in front of the Snapes, opened up the courtroom door for them, and ushered them all inside.

Harriet and Severus were surprised to see that the room itself was largely empty with only a few Ministry officials sitting in their black uniforms on the far side of the stone seats, across from the judge's chair.

Archichat Dacre stood in the center of the room.

He looked up at Harriet and Severus as he raised his hand and shouted, "There they are! The criminals who murdered my only son!"

Cries immediately erupted throughout the courtroom.

Although Harriet frowned and Severus grimaced, their hearts didn't sink until they heard a very distinct noise.

That single, horrid noise instantly silenced the emotional uproar.

Harriet and Severus looked at each other while McGonagall frowned at them both.

It was a noise they had all heard before........Severus and McGonagall at staff meetings, Harriet in her nightmares.

It sounded again, from the direction of the judge's seat.

Hem-hem.

"Kingsley is coming." McGonagall whispered bravely to Harriet and Severus before she went to take her seat.

Silently, Severus, Harriet, and Disencan walked down the courtroom stairs to discover the source of that awful, grating sound.

Severus's dark eyes narrowed while Harriet's mouth fell open.

Disencan frowned.

There, in the judge's seat, as composed, prim, and proper as ever sat a very small woman with short, dark hair.

A deceptively pleasant smile stayed on her pink lips.

Pink.

She wore an entire outfit made from nauseating shades of bright, obnoxious pink.

"Well, then." Dolores Umbridge said with a wicked grin as she looked at Harriet and Severus, "Since the accused have arrived, we can finally get started. I might remind you both, Mr. and Mrs. Snape, that lateness is not an admirable quality."

Harriet and Severus glanced over at each other in shocked disbelief as the monster who masqueraded as their judge banged her gavel down.

Umbridge pulled her painted, pink lips into a joyful smirk as she happily declared, "Court is now....in session!"

————————————————————

Perhaps they could apparate away and live on a distant island somewhere if Kingsley didn't appear soon.

Perhaps they could stupefy everyone in the courtroom, march to the Minister's office, and demand to know what would be done to remedy the situation.

Different, potential possibilities of escape whirled through Severus's mind as he and Harriet stood facing the most biased, unfair assembly of false justice ever encountered in the wizarding world.

Severus remained silent while he carefully calculated what their next move should be, but Harriet had never mastered the art of restraint.

"You were sentenced to a lifetime in Azkaban prison!" Harriet shouted at the creature who appeared to be her judge, "I've heard nothing about your parol! How is it possible that you're here today?! The Minister would never agree to this!"

"I see that some students never really learn their lessons......." Umbridge said with a sad frown of disappointment as she looked at Harriet and glanced at her right hand, which still bore the shadow of the scar from her cruel detention sentences.

I must not tell lies

"Actually, Harriet Snape, the Minister himself authorized my temporary release so that I may preside over this crucial matter." Umbridge replied to Harriet as she quickly held up a parchment supposedly signed by Kingsley Shacklebolt.

"I didn't see his signature!" Harriet retorted, "Hold it up again!"

"Those in the courtroom will address the judge with the proper title and make their inquiries with respect!" Umbridge snapped back.

Harriet grit her teeth as she hissed out, "Your honor.....may I please have another look at the bottom of that parchment?"

"........Of course, Mrs. Snape." Umbridge replied as she held the parchment up. She let her pink nails drift over the page while she clearly showed Harriet the Minister for Magic's signature at the bottom.

"That's a fraud!" Harriet surmised, "That's not Kingsley's signature! Wasn't it you who taught me not to tell lies?!"

When anxious whispers circled the courtroom, Harriet turned and began to run up the steps, but Umbridge raised her wand.

A sudden forcefield of white light stopped Harriet in her tracks.

She whirled around to look at Severus and silently ask what they should do.

Severus glanced up at McGonagall as he reflected on her previous statement and silently, she mouthed to him, "Bide."

Severus looked back over at Harriet and nodded at his mate.

With a frown, she abandoned her hasty intention of leaving the courtroom and calmly returned to stand beside her husband, their daughter, and Disencan.

Severus used a silent form of Legilimency to reach into Harriet's mind and speak through her thoughts, "Minerva's already alerted the Minister, my love. I trust her with my life. We need only go along with this sham for a moment or two more before he arrives to aid us."

Severus and Harriet glanced at Archichat, who regarded the couple with a scowl of utter loathing so despicable that most people would have flinched under his ominous stare.

The Snapes remained unbothered.

Disencan tried his best not to look at his cruel master while he tickled Maggie's feet to distract himself.

From her carrier, the baby laughed happily, which eased a little of the tension from the room.

"Severus Snape." Umbridge frowned as she addressed her former coworker, "You stand accused of murder. Your wife, Harriet Snape, stands accused of plotting the crime and acting as your accomplice. How do you plead?"

"Guilty." Severus answered in his low drawl.

Harriet's eyes widened as she turned to look at her husband incredulously while gasps rang out in the court.

Umbridge's frown deepened while she repeated, "Guilty, Mr. Snape?"

"Yes." Severus replied in a tone that spoke of casual boredom, "It was I who killed Elion Dacre and my wife did act as my accomplice since she was my motivation to commit the deed. As Headmaster of Hogwarts, I expelled the boy several months prior when he drugged, bound, and attempted to assault my wife, who at the time, was employed as a school staff member. Elion Dacre recently invaded my home, abducted my wife, and traumatized her to such a point that our unborn daughter barely survived. When I confronted him, he refused to allow me to rescue her and attacked with deadly force. I had no other way to defend myself....or to rescue my wife and child without ending his life."

"Thank you, Mr. Snape." Umbridge said with a glassy smile of false sweetness. Harriet frowned as the biased judge turned towards Archichat and asked, "Mr. Dacre, can you give the court an account of the wrongdoings of which you've accused Mr. and Mrs. Snape?"

"They planned to murder my boy all along!" Archichat cried angrily as he glared at Harriet and Severus. He pointed a finger angrily at Harriet as he snarled, "She toyed with his heart and that's why he lost his head! He was driven mad with love! She taunted him and teased him, only to leave him shattered at the last moment! My son would never harm anyone! She changed her mind at the last minute! She falsely accused him to slander our family's name, that's what happened! I assure you! My boy would never 'abduct' anyone! The very notion is ridiculous! She played with him again, with another man's child in her belly, like the snake she is, only to have her jealous lover come into my house and kill my son when he found them in passion's embrace!"

Harriet and Severus both scowled at Archichat's ridiculous string of blatant lies and twisted falsehoods.

Umbridge skipped right over the jury and waved her wand.

As she spoke, the center of the courtroom opened.

An iron cage slowly rose from the stone to invite any unfortunate soul who entered on a one way journey straight to Azkaban prison.

"Oh dear.........An adulteress and a murderer." Umbridge said with a frown before she sighed heavily. Her smile returned as she went on, "How very disorderly, Mr. and Mrs. Snape, how very disorderly, indeed."

The iron cage swung open as Umbridge pointed her wands at the Snapes and frowned, "If there's nothing else in this world, there must be order. If you two will, please, step inside so the deliberation may begin. Adulteresses and murderers cannot be trusted to walk freely."

"You haven't even given us a verdict yet!" Harriet exclaimed as Severus pushed Maggie into her arms and stepped protectively in front of them both.

"Into the cage, Mrs. Snape." Umbridge replied with a terse smile.

"May I at least watch my husband hand our daughter to Professor McGonagall?" Harriet asked.

"THE CAGE, MRS. SNAPE!" Umbridge bellowed.

The loud tone that Umbridge used earned a frightened wail from Maggie and a frightened frown from Disencan.

"WWWWWAAAA!"

Severus had no intention of letting Harriet walk into that iron cage.

Like a cornered raven, he glanced around the room and contemplated how best to battle while keeping Harriet, Maggie, Disencan, and McGonagall all safe from harm.

The Snapes finally received a bit of mercy.

The courtroom doors flung open.

While the reporters rattled off their questions and the cameras flashed behind him, Kingsley Shacklebolt came striding in with eight of the most powerful Aurors in the Ministry's employ walking in rows alongside him.

The color drained from Umbridge's face while Archichat sneered hatefully.

McGonagall clasped a hand over her chest in relief and for the first time in weeks, Severus felt himself begin to relax.

"I do beg your pardon, Dolores." Kingsley called out to the false judge as he and the Aurors gazed up at her, "But I don't remember authorizing your release from Azkaban prison?"

Archichat shifted nervously on his feet.

Maggie cooed as if she understood her parents' feelings of gladness while Umbridge stammered, "M-Minster, w-well, I-I.......you see......"

"......Dolores?" Kingsley asked with the hint of an amused smirk.

Umbridge frowned.

"I'm going to politely ask you to step aside. No amount of money can buy a judge's seat, a release from Azkaban, or even a properly forged signature." Kingsley frowned as he scowled over at the parchment which bore a sloppy copy of his signed name.

Umbridge snatched the paper up quickly as Minister Shacklebolt smiled, "I'm afraid that homicide trials lie in the hands of the Minister alone."

—————————————————————

A very short while later, Severus and Harriet's fair trial began.

Umbridge and Archichat stood uncomfortably  pressed against each other in the iron cage.

Severus sat beside McGonagall while the court listened to Disencan give his testimony.

The Minister had been kind enough to excuse Harriet so that she could nurse her daughter in the privacy of his own office.

The house elf wrung his hands as he sat in the witness chair and finished his account of the events, "Disencan did not see Severus Snape kill Elion Dacre. Disencan came into the room and found Severus Snape covered in Harriet Snape's blood, holding a very small baby. Disencan did see Elion Dacre bring Harriet Snape to the Dacres' home with her eyes closed."

"If that's all you know, Disencan, then the court appreciates your willingness to contribute to the trial." Minister Shacklebolt nodded down at the elf.

Determination flared in Disencan's large eyes as he looked up at Minister Shacklebolt and cried, "But that is not all Disencan knows, sir! Disencan knows that every day of his time serving the Dacre family has been an agony and every day that Disencan has served the Snapes has been a treasure! How can this be, Minister Kingsley Shacklebolt, if the Snapes are guilty and the Dacres are innocent? Severus Snape promised that he would set Disencan free and Disencan believes him, because Severus Snape is a good man."

From his place in the iron cage, Archichat snarled at Severus.

Severus cocked an eyebrow at his foe in silent response.

Kingsley nodded at Disencan.

The house elf hopped down from the witness seat before he walked over and sat next to Severus.

"I understand that the Snapes have a character witness present?" Kingsley addressed the court, "Professor Minerva McGonagall?"

"Yes, it is I, Minister!" McGonagall declared as she stood to her feet, "Shall I come down and speak?"

"I admire your willingness to cooperate with the Ministry, Professor, but there may not be any need." Kingsley nodded. He looked over at Severus and spoke, "Professor Snape, when your wife returns, are you both willing to submit unaltered memories for investigation?"

"Of course." Severus nodded.

"Very well." Kingsley replied.

Harriet and Maggie reentered the courtroom a short while later.

Kingsley was quick to send an evidence team who crowded around the couple and assisted with the extraction of their specific memories that were vital to the case.

"There will be one hour of examination, then the final verdict will be given." Kingsley announced as he stood from his seat to follow the evidence team and jurors through the curtains on the left side of the courtroom.

McGonagall, Severus, Harriet, and Disencan all glanced at each other.

Severus wasn't worried in the slightest.

Memory examination was considered the most accurate form of courtroom tactics used in any magical trial and for once, Severus Snape had nothing to hide.

————————————————————

An hour later, Severus and Harriet stood in front of the Minister for Magic while he addressed the court and informed everyone of the decisions that he and the jury had made.

"Mr. Snape," Kingsley addressed Severus, "The Ministry finds you guilty of murder."

Severus's mouth fell open.

Harriet and the rest of the court gasped but Kingsley went on, "However, due to the circumstances under which the offense was committed, you are hereby the recipient of the Minister's pardon. The conviction will be ignored due to the crime being committed in a measure of self-defence."

Severus and Harriet glanced over at each other as Maggie whimpered in Harriet's arms.

"Harriet Snape," Kingsley called out, "To the charges of adultery and acting as an accomplice in a murder, you have been found by the court to be not guilty of these crimes. The Ministry sincerely apologizes for the brutality that you were subjected to by the deceased."

Harriet nodded gratefully at the Minister before he looked at the iron cage and went on, "As for Archichat Dacre, the charges are numerous and the evidence is overwhelming. Archichat Dacre, you have been found guilty of coercion of a minor, deliberately bribing a dementor at Azkaban prison with the soul of an innocent, forging a Ministry official's signature, orchestrating a faulty trial, and the physical, psychological, and emotional abuse of your house elf, Disencan."

Archichat grit his teeth.

"Dolores Umbridge," Kingsley nodded at Archichat's bright, temporary cell mate, "You have been charged and found guilty of knowingly impersonating a Ministry official, abuse of authority, and escaping from prison. Ms. Umbridge, you will be sent back to Azkaban, along with Archichat Dacre, for the rest of your living days. Do you both understand?"

Umbridge pouted before she started to plead, "Minister, I-"

"This is a farce! A farce!" Archichat cried angrily.

Minister Shacklebolt was not interested in hearing anymore lies.

With a wave of his wand, Kingsley sent the iron cage back into the floor and the two villains began their swift trip to Azkaban.

Their screams echoed out in the courtroom as Kingsley nodded at Harriet and Severus while he added, "Since the Dacres now lack a living heir who can legally inherit property, their lands, possessions, and estate will be sold. The money will be donated to a charity of the Ministry's choice, however, Mr. and Mrs. Snape....."

Disencan's large eyes glimmered with hope.

Kingsley smiled as he informed them, "You two are free to keep the Dacre family's house elf, Disencan, in your employ if you wish, as long as the elf agrees."

Disencan leapt from his seat with a cry of excitement and rushed to Harriet and Severus.

Severus cradled Maggie in her carrier and held Harriet to him closely while the house elf gave them all a joyful hug.

Harriet welcomed the elf's hug as Disencan threw an arm around her waist and one around Severus's while he closed his eyes.

McGonagall, along with the rest of the court applauded when Harriet looked up at Severus and placed a gentle, loving kiss on his thin lips.

At last, Severus and Harriet would be able to have their little family in peace.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

60.7K 2.4K 70
Y/n Y/l/n found her way to be an assistant to the cold Severus Snape. Can she keep up with her all her duties? Or will her past drag her in the mud? ...
106K 2.4K 19
Since their marriage, Draco Malfoy and his wife Harriet decided that they wouldn't have a family. What happens when the blonde alpha changes his mind...
69.5K 2.1K 19
Amidst startling revelations, Snape's bitter denial of fatherhood drives Harry to the brink. A harrowing journey of healing unfolds as they confront...
248K 6.2K 16
A story about 2 people falling in love , willing to do anything for each other