Even so, they sounded concerned, and though they were years older than me, they emitted a safe aura that I was attracted to. So I chose not to leave. Yet.

"You don't look very okay to me," one of the older looking boys said.

No no no.

His hair was a dark shade of brown in messy strands that stuck onto his forehead. I figured by the amount of worry on his face, he was the mom of the group. All the friend groups seemed to have one of them. It made me feel a little safer. My mom was kind, so maybe this boy was too. "Where's your parents?"

"At home," I told him quietly, lowering my eyes to my shoes again. "My dad's at home on the couch, sleeping."

Not really. I hadn't seen my father, or my mother in a few years.

But right now, I couldn't get the threatening images out of my mind. The scenes that were once such a part of my life were coming back full speed ahead, and that was the only thing I could tell about my parents. So I told them.

"And your mom?" the one I ran into asked.

"She's..." The words got caught in my throat. "She's in the hospital." The word tasted sour in my mouth.

"Oh." His expression fell into a frown, but he quickly changed it back to a small smile. "Does your dad know you're out here, then?" I shook my head. "If you tell us where you live, we can bring you back. I don't want him to be worried-"

"No!" I quickly shouted, careful to not be too loud, "No, I don't want to go back-"

"Hey, why don't you want to go back?" another one asked in a soft tone. He too, had light brown hair and he was younger than most of the others. His hand reached towards mine slowly, but I jumped away from it.

"I just- he- I don't. Don't make me go back right now, please! I'll-I'll go back in a bit, I promise!" My eyes started watering, and the wind of the breezy night irritated them further.

"Alright." He crouched down so he could look at my eyes. His were a crystal-like brown, but a shade darker than his hair. "Is there a reason you don't want to go back?" I looked at him for a second before slowly shaking my head. "It's okay if you don't want to tell me, I understand."

"Stop messing with the kid," a boy who'd been watching the scene silently said. "Maybe she needs to just continue on her merry way."

"I'm just concerned, hyung." He turned back to me. "You should really get home. Why are you here by yourself?"

"Beca-use..."

I wanted to explain, so badly to these boys that I wanted help.

That when I left, I'd have to go back to the orphanage. And I couldn't pretend I still had my mother anymore.

I'd had an accident while playing in the streets. Worried I'd be blamed for it, I ran from my caretaker. On my way to town, all the memories came back. It was the last time I wanted to think about them, forever.

Earlier that day, I'd made an oath to myself that I wouldn't let my past events bother me anymore. I wouldn't think about them until they were no longer a part of me.

I'd try.

At the moment, the best I could do to continue the little game with myself was to tell these boys my situation, as if I were still four years old and living with my parents. That's what my flustered mind decided to tell them.

"I wanted to get away from appa. He got mad, and when he fell asleep, I wanted to get away." The lie slipped off my tongue effortlessly. I couldn't even tell whether I wished my words were true or not.

"Awe, little princess," the light brown haired one cooed. He stuck his lower lip out in a pout. "Is that where you got your bru-"

"It's okay," I said, taking a few steps away from the crowd so they couldn't point out my wounds. "I-I shouldn't have to-ld you. I'll leave now, and I'll just finish my walk before returning home. If I get home on time, he won't be mad anymore."

"How long has he been asleep?"

"I'm not sure, but the doctor is calling him with news about mommy at midnight. He'll wake up for that."

"Midnight?" the one that reminded me of a mother asked, pulling out his phone. "It's a little past that, I'm afraid."

A small gasp passed through my chapped lips. "Are you sure?"

Lie or not, past midnight wasn't a good time to be out.

"I'm afraid so," the one who ran into me said. "Kid, I think you should get home."

"I- well, maybe. Yeah." I looked down sadly, figuring it wasn't going to go over well when I got to the orphanage.

"Is your dad going to be mad?"

Tears threatened to fall as water filled my lids. Appa had always been mad. I nodded slowly, shutting my eyes as a drop of water fell from them.

"He's not going to hurt you again, is he?"

I breathed in slowly as the crying made my breaths shudder slightly. "Why do you care? You don't even know me."

"Well," the black haired one said, "It isn't safe for you out here, alone. And it's so late. What's your name?"

I hesitated for a moment, before wiping the corners of my lashes and looking up to meet the boy's eyes. "I'm Sujin."