Chapter 38

“And drop everything?” eomma interjected. “It’s that bad?”

“Yes, I’m afraid it is. I’m sorry, but you are one of the lucky few. Pack up and be out of your house by the morrow.”

“You lot are just going to force us to pack and leave, just like that?” appa asked, getting angry. I couldn’t completely understand what they were talking about, but I knew it wasn’t good.

“Please do, sir, for you own good. And for the sake of your family. This is not a condition to mess with. We also recommend you all take a visit to your doctor, as a few have already been diagnosed as affected by the dioxin.”

“Are you kidding me?” my appa let out a breath, and eomma gave him a rub on the back.

“It’s alright, we’ll do as you’re requesting,” eomma assured the man.

“Please do, ma’m. It’s for your safety. Free hotel services will be held for the next month while you and your family find a nice place to live. I wish you well, and if you have any questions, call the officers here,” he finished, handing my mother a card before turning around and strutting away.

“Oh no,” eomma whispered. Her face was blank but pale.

“It’s alright, we-we’ll go live with my friend in America, I don’t think it’d be too much of a problem since it would cost money to move anywhere else in Korea, anyways.”

“America? We’re only getting kicked out of our house, Seunghee! We don’t need to move to another country!” Eomma was getting mad.

“But, listen. I was actually going to propose idea earlier. I think it’d be great change.”

“But what about Sujin?”

“Her schooling will be much better there, anyways.”

“But we’d have to learn English!”

“You already know the basics!”

“Suenghee, I don’t know. Moving away from my family…”

“But think, America! It’s every child here’s dream. Wouldn’t it be an adventure? A new start? Plenty of people move to the States and vice versa, why can’t we?”

“I’ll think about it, Seunghee. Let’s go inside. We have to pack.”

“Oh, alright.” My father looked at me as hurt filled his expression. It was the first time that sadness had taken over his sparkling eyes. And from that moment on, he would stay that way. This was the start of the change of my father.

Wait. Dioxin?

A click of the door behind me made me jump slightly, pulling me straight out of my memory, and I turned around with wide eyes. A younger man came stumbling out the door and approached me as my heartbeat quickened. He looked slightly drowsy, but awake enough to notice me. As soon as he was right behind me, he sat as I watched him. He rubbed his eyes before looking at me. 

“What’s such a young one like you doing here?” he asked, looking me up and down. He was one of the youngest men I had seen there, and I was surprised to smell a hint of alcohol as he looked underage. His ruffled blonde hair and pale skin made him look scrawny. 

“I-” I started. I wasn’t sure what to say. “T-the host is my father.”

“Ah,” he nodded, before his face fell into a frown. “I wasn’t specifically invited here, I’m afraid I don’t know the host too well. I came with my father.”