Chapter 19

CHAPTER 19- Pub. June 13, 2019

I eavesdropped on their conversation, not daring to go inside.
“Kook, I don’t want to see the mess I’ve created,” I heard Jimin whimper.
“How many times have we said this?” Jungkook said rather harshly. “It’s not your fault!”
“Everyone’s going to say that. But everyone’s saying that to Sujin, too. It has to be someone’s fault. And we all know it’s mine. We all know the article only happened, the picture was taken, because I wasn't careful. If we go onto Vlive, and ARMYs see her, do you know what’s going to happen? Do you know what they’re going to say?”
“Jimin, this is actually getting annoying! Don’t you see? It’s Sujin’s fault!” Jungkook’s voice rose with every word.
“No. It’s. Not.”
“Have you seen our Twitter?”
“No, because they’re all going to be attacking Sujin.”
“Exactly. Why do you think that is? Because it’s Sujin’s fault.”
“How, Jungkook? How!?” Jimin screamed. “I’m the one that took her to the store. Sujin didn’t decided to get her picture taken, she didn’t decide to go to the store, she didn’t have the responsibility to be more careful in public. She didn’t have the responsibility to know that we shouldn’t have been there alone! That’s all on me. And I’ll take the blame, but I don’t need to see it.”
“They’re all going to be attacking Sujin. They all agree. It’s all Sujin. She’s the one the article’s about.”
“No, you’re wrong! If you’re mad at her, why were you crying earlier?” Jimin asked Jungkook.
“Because I was still scared for her. I still care about her, I’m just saying, this was her fault. And, I was worried because of what this has done to you hyung, you don’t deserve for this to happen to you.”
“Kook, there was no one to blame but me, the fans have only reacted like this because we haven’t explained yet. I know how the comments will be on the live, everyone will think that I am in a relationship with an underage girl, can’t you see how bad this looks?”
“I can see, and that’s why I think that this is her fault, she knew we were idols. She knew what it was like in public for us, she knew that people recognize us. She also knew that nobody knew about her yet. Hyung, she knew about all of these things and she was still careless!”
And so was I!” Jimin countered in a shriek.
“Look, this conversation is going nowhere.”
“I know! And I don’t get why you’re all over Sujin like this!”
“Do you think I was all about the idea of getting a new sister? Another person to take care of, another person to worry us? Another person to deal with?”
“What’s gotten into you, Jungkook? Can’t you see, like the rest of us, that Sujin is helping us? Can’t you see how close we’ve gotten recently?” Jimin cried.
“I don’t see it. I see her as another problem to deal with. Sure, she is nice. It’s nothing personal, but we just can’t handle another person. And I think out of everyone here, you should know that the best. Look at the drama that’s come! Look at the problems! Watch our reputation go down the drain, right after we were climbing to the top.”
“I think you’re wrong, Jungkook. I don’t know what happened to you, but this isn’t the Jungkook I know.”
“I’m just trying to get you to come. If you’re staying because you don’t want to see the mess that someone else made, then you shouldn’t.”
“Jungkook, just leave,” Jimin said. Fearing that Jungkook was going to head out the door, I ran down stairs to meet the members.
“Okay, I’m ready,” I told everyone, as what they thought I had been doing was grabbing something from my room, not hearing in on the heated, and hurtful conversation. I tried to shake what I had just heard out of my mind. I was sure Jungkook didn’t mean any of it, and even though it hurt that he thought that way, the only thing I wanted to do at the moment, as there had been much drama beforehand, was forget about it.
No wonder I had felt something weird about Jungkook. He didn’t want me here.
Jungkook ran downstairs right after me with an annoyed expression, his face tight and his shoulders tense. He avoided my eyes as he talked, “Jimin hyung isn’t coming, but it’s okay. We should let him be.”
“He’s seriously going to miss the Vlive?” Jin asked.
“Manager Sejin was very sure he wanted all of us there,” Namjoon said.
“Well I’m not leaving him here by himself, especially in this state of mind,” Hoseok mumbled. “I’m not going to let him stay here alone.”
“What!?” I cried. “You’re not going to come either?”
“We can’t force Jimin to come, I’m not sure if it’d be healthy, but you have to come. We can’t lose two members. Manager-Nim will be mad,” Namjoon said, clearly getting frustrated.
“I’m not leaving Jimin here alone. You either go without both of us, or you don’t go at all,” said Hoseok.
“Fine, Hoseok,” Namjoon said, putting his hands dramatically in the air. “Come on, I’m going with the reasonable members, we’ve got to do the Vlive. If you want to compete with Manager Sejin, go ahead,” he hissed, glaring at Hoseok. “There’s no putting it off, and it’s for Sujin’s benefit more than ours. Let’s go,” he said, heading to the front door, leaving his hurtful words to soak into Hoseok. I gaped at Namjoon, wondering how he could call out his elder like that. Hoseok gulped, and then stood to head upstairs, probably to find Jimin.
I tried to keep a tear from forming as the five members and I walked outside and to the van. I was slightly hurt by what I had heard from Jungkook, while the whole situation was still weighing on me, and I was disappointed that not only Jimin, but also Hoseok weren’t coming with us to do the fun Vlive. And it worried me how Namjoon had reacted, as he was obviously not in a good mood anymore.
The car ride was silent and lonely, each of us too tired to talk. I was almost sure that Jin was speeding on our way to the building, as he seemed pretty frustrated by the situation. No one seemed to want to talk to me, nor even take a glance. I complied, happy to plug in my earbuds and listen to music, anticipating the Vlive that would determine my first impression on ARMY’s. I was nervous, but after everything I had gone through, it felt like nothing.
The car came to a stop in front of the company building once again, and Taehyung opened the door from the outside for me. I didn’t notice, as my head became dangerously close to hitting the top of the car, Taehyung pushed the top of my head lower so I could exit the car without a collision.
I laughed, slightly embarrassed, “Thanks, Tae.”
He smiled, “No problem. Be more careful next time.”
“For sure.”
We all walked into the building in silence, and halfway up the stairs, we collided with Sejin.
“Ah, boys, you’re here. Great, how are you, Sujin?” he asked, smiling sweetly.
“I’m doing well, thank you.”
“Great, great. I’m so sorry about the whole thing, the members have been stressing over it a bit lately,” he explained.
“Yeah, I can tell.”
“Oh, but you must be just as worried, eh?”
“I’m trying to get it past my mind. There are more important things to continue to.”
“Ah, that’s a smart girl. I’ll be right back, if you’ll excuse me, we’ve got the camera crew to come and help you all out,” he nodded. “Make yourself at home, Sujin. And welcome back, members.”
“Thanks,” a few of the boys muttered, and we hurried up the steps.
“We’re going to our dance practice room,” said Namjoon, opening a door I hadn’t been through yet. The walls and floors were an identical shade of almost cream white, and one of the far walls was covered in mirrors. On the side opposite, there was a large counter with another mini fridge, coffee maker, and more. There were a few staffs there, who all greeted me nicely upon entry. Some gave me glances of sympathy, as they knew what had been going on, but they tried to make it not obvious, while still failing to do so.
“Annyeong,” a middle-aged staff said, coming up to us. “The members know me, I am Choi Soobin.  I am head of recording BTS’s Vlives, I’ll be helping out and directing this one,” he said to me, specifically.
“Nice to meet you. Your works are always great,” I complimented.
“Ah, thanks. We’ve got the whole team to help us out with that, though,” he said, waving his hand towards the other staff. He held up a piece of paper and then put it in front of us so we could read what it was.
“This is the schedule for the Vlive. We’re going to do a few common ‘Get to know you” games for Sujin, and then we’ll let you talk with the fans for a bit, however you want to organize that.”
“Sure, sounds great,” Namjoon sighed, his mind clearly far away.
“Now, Sujin, if you’ll come here,” Soobin said, leading me to a few of the female staff members. “You look great, but the stylists wanted to practice a few things on you for the future. Is it okay if they do a little on your hair and makeup?”
“Yeah, sure,” I nodded, slightly excited.
“Ok, right over here. You remember Suhee, don’t you?” he asked, and my light spirit left.
“Uhm, yes,” I said, recalling the bad memory of when I had been waiting for the members in the staff room with Suhee. Suhee’s eyes met mine, and she smiled. I forced a smile, trying to be friendly.
Maybe we could forget about what had happened last time. Maybe we could be friends.
“Annyeong, Sujin,” she greeted.
“Annyeong, Suhee,” I said back.
“I want to try out a few things, I’ll take you back. I think the others will be going in for their routine anyways,” she explained, and I followed her out the other set of doors and down a few halls into a makeup room. Spread across the table, there was more makeup I’d seen in my life. She motioned for me to take a seat in front of the table, and reluctantly, I did.
“Alright, I’ll be done in a few minutes, just let me do my magic,” she smiled.
I pulled out my phone to pass time while she added a few aspects to the makeup I already had on.
Sujin: Hoseok oppa,  I texted. Within the next minute, my phone dinged with a reply.
Hoseok Oppa: Yes, my dongsaeng?
I smiled, happy Hoseok was readily available.
Sujin: How is Jimin?
Hoseok Oppa: Progress is slow. I’m giving him some space. Don’t worry about it.
Hoseok Oppa: How is it going for you?
Sujin: Good. Suhee is doing my makeup.
Sujin: Wish you were here.
Hoseok Oppa: I’m so sorry, Sujin. I want to be there too.
Sujin: Nothing’s stopping you.
Hoseok Oppa: …
Sujin: The other company car is there. Drive you and Jimin here.
Hoseok Oppa: Idk, dongsaeng. I think it’s best Jimin stays home.
Hoseok Oppa: Has Manager-Nim said anything yet?
Sujin: No…
Hoseok Oppa: Then it’s best we stay.
I looked up from my phone, slightly frustrated.
Sujin: But I want you here, oppa.
Hoseok Oppa: I know.
Sujin: Then come!
Hoseok Oppa: I don’t wish to fight with you on this. You best get back to the Vlive. See you when you get home.
Sujin: HOSEOK!
Sujin: Can’t you come, just to support me? :(
Sujin: PLEASE oppa, don’t make me do this without you two. It’s becoming more and more lonely. And manager Sejin is bound to find out soon.
Hoseok Oppa: …
Sujin: Fine.
I shut off my phone, tears stinging my eyes, as Suhee was about to start on my mascara.
“You all right, Sujin?” she asked, half concentrated on the task at hand.
“Yeah, the maskara kind of irritate my eyes at first,” I lied.
“Happens to all of us.” She put down her utensil and turned the chair to face the mirror. “There, you look beautiful,” she said, and I gasped. All the features were a bit darker than I was used to. Yes, I looked beautiful, but it definitely wasn’t anything like what the member’s got. It wasn’t traditional or Korean, at all. Something in my stomach told me it wasn’t right. I wasn’t sure if I liked it, even though it made me look gorgeous. It reminded me of American style makeup.
“Ah, it’s.. Different,” I said.
“I know, it fits you perfectly!” Suhee squealed, clearly pleased with her work.
“Uh, yeah,” I half agreed, hopping out of the chair.
    “Alright, best get back out there, they need ya,” she said.
I nodded, “Thanks.”
“Anytime, come back for sure, I can do your daily makeup if Sejin allows it!”
I nodded, though in my head, I was promising myself to never accept Suhee’s offer again. I hoped I’d get through this Vlive without looking like a monster.
Suhee started to clean up the tiny room, so I went out the door and found my way back to the dance practice room. There, the members were waiting, their slight, and natural looking makeup perfectly done. I blushed, though I wasn’t sure anyone would have been able to see it through the dark pink blush Suhee has applied already.
“Sujin-ie,” Taehyung gasped. “Who did your makeup?”
“Suhee,” I replied. “Is it okay?”
“Well, yeah, you always look nice. Just a bit different,” he started.
“That’s exactly what I said,” I agreed.
“Well, you were the last one out, I think we can start now,” he said, waving me over to one of the seats that had appeared in the center of the room.
I took a seat, my heart beating faster as I realized it was almost time for the Vlive. For the first time, I had a second to think about how actually nervous I was.
The members all crowded behind me. I was sitting in the center chair at the front row of chairs. Jungkook sat to my left, Namjoon to my right. Behind us were Jin, Yoongi, and Taehyung.
After a second, Namjoon glanced at me, before returning his focus elsewhere. He then quickly glanced back at me, and frowned.
“Sujin, who did your makeup?”
I sighed, “Suhee. Is it really that bad?”
“No, kid, but do you like it?” I shrugged. “Hey, noona?” Namjoon called, waving over one of the stylists. “Do you think you could fix this up a bit? Just make it a little more natural and less… dark.”
One of the stylists stepped up, but before I could get up, Manager Sejin burst into the door, Hoseok and Jimin trailing behind.
“Namjoon, you didn’t tell me these two were still coming, but to be honest, I didn’t even notice they weren’t here,” Sejin explained, looking questioningly to Namjoon.
“I-uh,” Namjoon started, but Hoseok spoke up.
“We just wanted to grab a few things so the others could start, Sejin,” Hoseok took over. “We have the second company car, anyways.” I was surprised Hoseok had lied for Namjoon. Didn’t he trust Manager Sejin? Sejin already knew what had been going on.
Jimin joined us and and Hoseok grabbed a few chairs from the stylist, before taking a seat behind the crowd of us. I looked back at Hoseok, wanting to talk to him and ask why he finally decided to come, but Sejin told the crew to begin, which also closed my opportunity to fix my makeup a bit.
“Hana,” the camera man said, about to start the live.
This was going to be my first impression on ARMY’s.
“Dul.”
They already hated me, but now I could start new.
“Set.”

A/N: Sorry, guys, but I had to make mean Kook. I’m not sure what got it into my head, but something just told me, “Make Kook bad, just for once. (not that he’s like this in real life) Make him pay, and make him learn”. That will be something new for Jungkook (bc Jungkook is everyone’s favorite so he’s always the good guy, but he can’t always be perfect XD) But I promise, dear readers, this will not last. Jungkook is not bad, just adjusting to the new situation and stuff. Don’t worry, and plz don’t attack me XD
I also wanted to say, I know Manager Sejin isn’t their main manager, but he’s my favorite and has a close connection to the members, as I’ve seen, so I wanted to kind of appreciate him and include him in this ff more often than others. ALSO, I feel I gave a untrusting appearance to Manager Sejin last time Sujin was at the office, but I didn’t mean that. Manager Sejin genuinely cares about Sujin and will take a play later on in the story, for sure, so watch for that!