Chapter 35

CHAPTER 35- Pub. October 25th, 2019

“Hey, do you remember me?” 

The one person I could safely say I hated, walked up to me. 

My father. 

His smile was sweet, but fake, and he crouched to my height as he approached me. 

His brown eyes were hard. They seemed lifeless. He hadn’t shaved in a while, and his hair was a rat’s nest. His thin lips were pressed in a line, and his expression was cold, just as I remembered him when I was little.

I wanted to speak, but the words seemed to come back down my throat and choke me. My breathing quickened, making me inhale the musty air surrounding me. 

“I asked you a question,” he repeated, his smile slightly fading. “Why are you so scared, sweets? Do you miss your ‘family’ back at home?” 

Tears welled up in my eyes. I didn’t want to show weakness, or show him that I was afraid, but I couldn’t help it. I was too scared. 

Suhee stood behind him, her arms crossed as she watched the scene. 

“S-Suhee,” I choked. How could she stand here and watch this happen? I didn’t want to accept that she was in on his plan

“Sujin, look at me,” my appa said, grabbing my hands. I looked away as hate filled my heart. “Sujin.” He pulled me closer, and I had to choice but to stare into his deep, intimidating eyes. He smelled purely of alcohol.  “I want you to come with me, back to America. I have a house, it’s nice there. Suhee here found you, and-”

“No,” I cried. “No, I do-n’t want t-to.”

“Why not? I’ve been looking for you for a long time, you know. After your mom passed, I decided I had lost you. So, I went to the U.S. and made a nice life there. Then, I kept coming back to Korea to search for you. I met Suhee, and well, when she saw you and learned who you were, she called me. Isn’t that nice? You can come stay with your father now.”

I knew that the worst thing I could possibly do at the moment was personally offend him. He wouldn’t take that well, at all. So, I decided to try and make points that wouldn’t hurt him or make him mad.

“I’m sorry father, but I started a new life,” I told him, starting to speak stronger. “I like it there. I don’t want to leave it.”

“But Sujin, look, it can be just you and me, and Suhee can be your new mother! Haven’t you been waiting for that? A real family? I know I have.” An evil smile grew on his face. It made me want to puke. 

“I-I…  No.”

“Well, then,” he shrugged.  “I guess I’ll have to resort to my old ways. A daughter should always respect her father, now.” He let go of my fragile hands and stood up. “Suhee? Mind getting the towel for me?”

She nodded and left the room. My heart started beating faster than I could have imagined. “Earlier, Suhee did my chores for me. She used chloroform. I’m sure you’ve been well educated, and know what that is?”

I looked at him. I wasn’t going to answer him, so he continued. “It’s a highly volatile liquid. It’s been commonly used for its anesthetic properties. It can make any human pass out when used in small amounts. She used it to give you a little nap. We didn’t think you’d agree to follow her here, as I can tell you enjoy living with those boys who were taking care of you.”

Suhee returned with a damp cloth in her hands. 

“So,” my father spoke. “Maybe, once we can get a little incentive, you’ll be more happy to come with us back home. It's too dangerous to try and take you to America if you don't comply. So, how about this, to be fair.” He grabbed the towel from Suhee and tossed it in his hands. A hit of the sweet smell drifted into my nose, scaring me with the thought of how strong it would be if it were pressed against my mouth and nose.  “You don’t get another morsel of food until we reach the States.” He chuckled. “Of course, it takes a while for hunger to take its toll. So, we can just put you to sleep. We’ll come find you the next day when our deal might mean a little more to you, okay Sujin?”