Chapter 37

I curled up in a ball, trying to save heat because of the cold. I refused to let myself get completely inside of the bed covers. It was bad enough, the smell that came from this room, reminding me of a life I used to have. I didn’t want to bathe in it, so I grabbed a spare sheet from my closet laid on the smallest portion of the bed that I could, not bothering to get inside the covers and blankets. 

I was locked inside this room, and the only thing I had wished for was that Seunghee would have cleared out the room. Not a single thing had been touched since I was last here, and I felt like a child again. 

Even though the night had put everyone else in the town to sleep, my mind was awake every second. I was sure it was about one or two in the morning, but I had been thinking. A lot. I wasn’t going to stay here with my dad and Suhee anymore. I wanted to leave.

It would be dangerous to leave. But it was more dangerous to stay here. 

I figured that if I could run far enough to find our closest neighbors, I could get their attention and have them help me find my way back home, but of course only after we alerted the police. Seunghee needed to be gone. 

I was starting to come up with an idea of how I could attempt. I didn’t know what my chances were, or how often children completely escaped being kidnapped after being held captive. Yes, it was literally my father holding me here. But, I was not happy, and I belonged to someone else now. 

I pushed the thin blanket off of me, and sat up. Scanning the room, I thought of how I could make my next move. I could climb out of my window, but I was sure the ground would be too far down. The idea of sneaking out the front door seemed appealingly easy to me, but I knew Suhee and my dad wouldn’t have let it be that easy for me to escape. 

Making a quick decision, I went to my door and knocked a few times. I did it loud enough to wake up Seunghee, even though I wasn’t sure he’d hear me. If that didn’t work, I’d have to take the time for another idea.

It only took a few seconds before I heard footsteps approach my room.

“What is it?” Seunghee’s muffled voice huffed from the other side.

“Appa,” I said, thankful he was willing to listen to me. “I can’t sleep. Can I please come out and clean? I’d like to make myself useful.”

There was silence on the other end, and I could imagine he was thinking through whether he was willing to let me out of my punishment for his benefit of the house getting more clean

“I’m sorry, I’ve thought over what I’ve done,” I continued. “I’d like to help you to make it up to you.”

I heard a sigh. “I wasn’t even sleeping yet, so you might as well.” 

The lock clicked and the door opened. My father, Seunghee, was still in his day clothes even though it was the middle of the night, and that explained why he had come to my room so quickly.

“Thank you, Appa.” I bowed before continuing to the cleaning closet. Father yawned and then headed back down the stairs. I looked through my options, but I didn’t really have much choice. I grabbed a bottle of window cleaner, and a small container of bleach. 

Ammonia and bleach don’t mix well, do they? I thought to myself. That’s something Aecha taught me that could help me make my escape.

I went down the stairs with my supplies in hand to find Seunghee suddenly at the dinner table with a newspaper.

“Suhee’s asleep, so don’t make too much noise, alright?” he mumbled, his eyes never leaving the paper in front of him.

“Understood.” I walked to the table and unscrewed both caps of the cleaning supplies. “So,” I continued as my hands started to shake. I was nervous about what I was about to do. “Actually, how about I go clean out the silverware?” I asked, walking into the kitchen and opening one of the drawers. I found a meat pounder and decided it was perfect. I put it on the counter, ready to grab.