Chapter 36

*Warning* A few minor descriptions of physical harm, please skip this chapter if you are sensitive, and I can give you a summary of the chapter if you would like to DM me. The events aren’t too bad because I want this book to be suitable for you young army’s out there, but I don’t want to let anyone sensitive get hurt because of this.  Thank you :)

My arm stung. Really bad. And I was sure I had just heard a loud snapping noise. 

I opened my eyes that were heavy with sleep only to see my father staring back at me. 

“About time you woke up. We didn’t use that much chloroform.”

I looked at my arm. It was slowly shading from pink to red. My dad had hit me. 

“I-I’m sorry.” I sat up. I was in such the habit to apologize for everything that would make him slightly mad. My younger self was coming back. 

“Stand up.”

I slowly stood, being cautious of my sore muscles. 

“Great. You’re already doing better.” 

Oh really,  I thought. It hurt. A lot. 

“As you can see, no one has used this house a lot recently. After you left, I did as well. Your eomma left the humidifier on and when I left, the house dampened until it started rotting. There’s mold everywhere and the wood has been damaged. If you plan on keeping us here for a while longer, you might as well make it nice for us, since you’re the one holding us back. I’ll put you to work, you hear?”

“Yes, appa.”

“Good. Suhee will show you what to do.” He left the room and Suhee smirked at me. 

“Come here,” she nodded towards the doorway. I followed, but slowly. It still hurt to walk, but it was better than the night before. 

We climbed the stairs which was torture, but then went down the upstairs hall. We stopped and went into my appa’s room. The bed he used to share with my mother was still there, the same sheets and all. My eomma’s dresser was there, but a door was open and I could see that none of her belongings remained. I realized that any hope of being able to finally have something of my mother’s was now gone. I had never thought of it before, but it would have been a miracle to finally have something, any type of remembrance of my mother who saved my life. I was still grateful that I had grown up in the orphanage rather than with my appa. I probably would have been dead by now. But, then again, maybe that would have been a good thing.  

“Our room’s first. You’re the one making us suffer and stay at this wreck of a home until you agree to come with us to a real home. So, there’s a lot to be done. Clean the sheets, wash the floor, clean the window and hang a new blanket over it, oh, and the bathroom is gonna need some help.” She laughed. “Have fun with that.” She pointed to the closet down the hall. “All the supplies are down there. I won’t bother to tell you exactly what to do or how to do it, so figure it out. But don’t mess up. Your appa wouldn’t be very happy, now, would he?” She smiled as if it were a funny thought, what he might do if I messed up, but she turned around and left. 

I took a moment to scan the room again. It seemed so lifeless and sad, as did the whole house. Without people keeping it alive and spotless, the house seemed so worn out and old, even though it was newly built when I was born. Thirteen years old, and it’s past could define how it felt. 

I headed down the hall and opened the closet. The vacuum, mop, broom, and other cleaning detergents and mixes were all still there. I got busy selecting what I needed before returning to the room and heading to work. I changed the bed sheets first, replacing the ones my mother and appa used to sleep in with clean, white ones I found under the bed. They were still in their packaging. I took the old blankets and retreated to my room. Well, not my real room. It was where I was assuming my appa would make me stay, in the room I woke up in. There was no way he’d let me into my own room. I wasn’t even sure if I wanted to see that place again.