Chapter 22

CHAPTER 22- Pub. July 25, 2019

Warning: I never thought it'd come to this, but I wanted to make sure you all knew that there will be mild violence in this chapter. Not gore or anything, just a few physical actions. If that makes you uncomfortable, please skip this chapter and if you want, contact me or NonexistantPotato gladly sum it up in a PM so you won't miss the information in this chapter.

Enjoy.

“You know, Sujin, you remind me a lot about my niece. She had the same lighter brown eyes as you do and a beautiful small nose.” Sejin sighed before looking around. “In fact, it was this exact Cafe where I last saw her. It was a sad day. You see, her father, who was my brother, mistreated her horribly. The mother was dying of a few unknown health problems, and my brother blamed the little girl for the poor health of his wife. My brother was here with his daughter and I came along so I could chat about any help I could possibly give to the mother so they could pay the hospital bills. The little girl seemed particularly interested in the person who was singing live that night. She was intrigued by the singing and started humming along. Apparently, it got on the nerves of my brother who was already in a bad mood. The things he did to that girl, I do not wish to repeat or even think about. I yelled to make him stop, and I ran off. I immediately called the mother and told her what happened. She said she’d take the girl and herself away, that they had been packing for days. She told me that if I ever saw the girl again, to make me her legal guardian. The next story in the news was that the mother was found dead. The girl disappeared, and so did my brother. I haven’t seen either since then.”

“Oh, wow,” I said, “You know, this place is sort of familiar to me too. I must have come here with Aecha when I was little.”

I was thinking hard if I could remember coming here, and then it came to me.

Appa, I want to sing like them one day!” my 4 year old self said, pointing to the person on stage.

    “You’ll never be anything important, now shut up. I’m trying to talk,” he smacked my hand, turning back to the other man who also resembled my father- he had the same black hair and piercing eyes. Though, his eyes were softer and less contentious.

I instantly recognized that man-

    “Come on, I’m trying to help you guys with the bills,” the man raised his voice slightly, staring at my father. “I know that you aren’t a man to be responsible about this kind of thing, I’ve known you since we were born! But it’s your wife, and your daughter’s life on the line here! If you’re not willing to take a step to protect them, I don’t know what you’re doing with your life.”

Not wanting to listen, I hummed along with the singer. The song was popular at the time, so I knew the tune.

    “I told you to shut up!” my father yelled at me, standing up from the table. Some people looked over at us, curious to what was happening, but the singer kept going. Appa grabbed my small hand, dragging me out of the cafe with him, the other man following behind, with a pained expression on his face as he followed. I gulped- I knew I had made a mistake. Appa was mad again.

    “Come on Hyung, where are you taking her?” the man asked, picking up the pace to walk beside my father. Appa shoved me into an alley, kicking me to the wall.

    “Hyung-!”

    “This doesn’t concern you, Sejin! Mind your own business!” he said, kicking my small body again. The man grabbed Appa’s shoulder, pulling him away from me. Appa punched the man, right on the jaw, knocking him backwards. Appa turned back to me, pulling me up before punching me in the stomach, knocking all the air from my lungs.