Chapter 40

Sujin’s POV

“Your friend’s quite the charmer,” I said, quickly walking alongside Daehyun. He laughed, covering his mouth with his free hand while his other hand held my own.

“You’re not too wrong about that, but that’s just how he’s been for as long as I’ve known him. He’d be a true con artist, well, if he did crimes. I try to keep him away from that, but I’m not sure how well it works,” he said with a sigh. “Luckily for me though, he’s never messed with me. It’s surprising how well he can fool people with a smile.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“He’s- uh. How do I explain?” He paused, thinking, before continuing. “I’m honestly not too sure myself, but he’s seen some things, and been through some pretty traumatizing stuff. He spends most of his time with me, but he’s still a mystery, I don’t know much of his story.”

I slowed for a second. How does Daehyun know so little about him?

“But I thought you guys were brothers? You seem to be so close,” I said, thinking over their situation.

“We may as well be brothers, even if it isn’t by blood. It feels like I’m more of his brother than, well, his actual brother.” Daehyun told me before focusing on the sidewalk ahead of us. “Hey, did you see my dad inside?” he asked quickly.

“I think it might have been him, I only got a quick glimpse, but he looked a lot like you. He was with your friend, laughing at something he said,” I told him, as he chuckled to himself.

“Even when he’s been drinking, my dad never laughs. Never. He’s just like that though, no matter who you are, he’ll always get what he wants. If Suho wants to make my old man laugh, he’s the only one who I know could do it.” 

I looked over at Daehyun stunned. “Why are you friends with him if he’s such a manipulator? Aren’t you afraid he’s manipulating you too?”

“No, I never even considered it because I knew he wouldn’t. When I first met him, he was so broken and lonely, I helped him get better, but he’s still got a ways to go. And it’s not like he chose to be this way. For years, that’s all he knew how to do, how to be. All he really wanted was a friend, a true friend, so I gave him that.” Deahyun took a quick breath before continuing. “I haven’t been messing with him either if that’s what you’re wondering.”

“But why? What happened to make him like that?” I whispered, looking ahead of us.

“I don’t even know, I only know the bare minimum that he told me. I can’t tell you though, it’s his business. You know, Sujin, before I met him, I thought I had it the worst. That there was no worse than what I had gone through, and am still going through. But when he showed up, my view changed. He looked lifeless, even though there was nothing wrong with him, he had no visible wounds and was perfectly healthy physically, besides being really thin. The first night, he woke up screaming and after that he didn’t sleep for three days. He wouldn’t go anywhere near a kitchen, and still doesn’t. He even developed a habit of scratching his hands. Until I got his those gloves, he’d scratch them until they bleed.” Daehyun looked up towards the stars, a smile on his face. “He knew how to fake a smile, to make everyone think he was okay. He used the skills he had to make everyone else focus on the good, rather than the bad. There’s still so much I don’t know, but now he has help. He has real friends, and I know he can get better, if I can do it, so can he. I believe in him anyways.”

I gave his hand a small squeeze, reassuring him I was listening. His face was dusted pink with a light blush as he nervously laughed. 

“Sorry, I kinda went on a rant there.”