Chapter 33

CHAPTER 33- Pub. October 11th, 2019

I leaned my head against the window as Jin drove the company car the short distance to school. I was only thinking about what the principal had to say. 

I didn’t really have reason to worry, but adults that I was unfamiliar with, especially those with such authority, plainly scared me. I told myself that if it were to be some bad news, I’d always have the members with me to get through it. After what had happened the last few days, there was nothing we couldn’t do. 

As Jin neared the school doors, Jungkook clicked his door’s lock open which alerted me to do the same.

“We’ll be quick, Jin,” he assured as he hopped out of the car, leaving me to scramble out of my seatbelt to follow him.

“He should speak for himself,” I mumbled as I opened the door. “I don’t even know if I’ll remember how to open my locker.” I shut the door and ran to catch up to Jungkook. 

The school felt so lonely. It was a dramatic difference from how it had been on my first day I had arrived. The halls were empty for the most part as anticipated, and the office was deserted other than a few staff members. 

I headed towards the hallway where my locker was placed, following Jungkook until he parted to go upstairs. 

I continued to my locker and set the fabric bag on the floor so I could use both hands for the lock if I needed. I tried to open it, but once all the numbers were put in, the lever wouldn’t move. I tried again. And again. 

I sighed in defeat as I attempted again.

I should have made Jungkook open my locker for me before he left.

I could risk the embarrassment that I hadn’t opened my locker yet and go get Jungkook, or I could try again. I decided the latter was more appealing.

I turned the numbers once more, being extra careful and counting the notches as they passed. When I finally tried the lever, it moved and I sighed in relief. I got busy removing the few items from my locker, all still crisp and new.  

I finished and closed my locker. I didn’t need to feel attached to it. It had only been mine for two days. 

“Sujin,” a voice alerted me, and I turned around to see the one person I was hoping I wouldn’t cross paths with. Meori strolled towards me, her hands in her pocket. Her makeup was a bit heavier than usual, raising her self-esteem along with it. Confidence bounced in her steps.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, as it was Saturday and I wasn’t expecting to see anyone since school wasn’t in session.

“Cheer. I thought you knew I was captain.”

“Oh, I did know,” I shrugged.“I guess I just wasn’t expecting to see you on the weekend.”

“Yeah, well it’s a huge responsibility,” she said it as if it were obvious.

“Oh, well, then you should get back to that,” I said, seeing if I could kindly wish her well in hopes I wouldn’t see her next year. 

“I see, you’re finally leaving? I would if I had the chance, too. But, I guess I don’t have a boyfriend to take care of my excuses.”

I sighed. “Things got a little hard to juggle school and living with... them.” I stopped myself before I said too much.

“Mm, I see,” she said, walking up as if to inspect me. She looked me straight into my eyes, like she could see right through them. 

I broke her gaze and grabbed my bag, ready to head off. 

“Well, I think-”

“You..” She put a hand on my arm and pushed my back to the lockers, keeping her face close to mine. My heart started pounding. I didn’t know what she was doing, or what I was supposed to do. It was an awkward position. “Sometimes, I wonder,” she continued. “Whose fault it is that those boys ‘took you in’ or whatever claim you use that keeps you a few safe feet away from a scandal.”