Chapter 45. Meredith

[45]

[45]

Meredith (Third Person)

Five Years Ago

Meredith hated sadness. 

What's the point of getting sad in this world? At least that's how she saw it. 

"Your mother is dead," her father stated plainly as he stood behind her. It's as if the scene in front of her didn't faze him at all.

He's a cheater. No man in their right man would ever go out and have affairs with multiple women while his wife was in hospital, doing her third chemotherapy. 

But her father did that. He never gave a fuck about anything.

And that's the sole reason she hated his guts.

She stared in horror as the scene in front of her went on slowly as if she was in a slow-motion movie. 

Her mother lay in her bed, motionless. All the colour was drained from her face. The doctor warned them about this day. 

He said she had two to three weeks. 

It's only been one week.

It was faint, but Meredith felt something inside of her shatter. She clenched her fists. 

The paramedics slowly lifted her mother's lifeless body and placed it down on the stretcher. The paramedic lifted the white material, covering it above her head.

No, this can't be, Meredith thought.

This can't be real, can it? My mother...she's all I have. She's gone. I'll never get to speak to her. Or feel her arms as she holds me in an embrace, where I feel the safest as if nothing can ever harm me. 

No. 

No, no, no.

She can't leave me alone here. 

"No!" Meredith burst out, running towards the stretcher. 

The paramedics tried to hold her back, but that didn't stop her from pushing them off of her and running towards her mother's body. With a sob, she rips away the white cloth, before crying out as she looked down at her mother's dead face.

Even in death, she still had a small smile across her face. She looked as if she was in peace.

"Mom, please, wake up, you can't leave me here," Meredith sobbed, slowly shaking her mother's cold arm.