Chapter 15. Coffee

[15]

[15]

Sydney

It's a Sunday afternoon, and I'm currently walking around the local bookstore, looking for some new books.

A content sigh escapes my lips as the smell of new, fresh books hit my nostrils. I run my fingers along the spines of books that I walk past until I reach my favourite section.

Historical fiction/romance. 

As I lean down to pick up an unfamiliar book from the lower shelf, someone calls my name from behind, startling me.

"Sydney?"

When I turn around, grasping the shelf for support, I see Daniel, holding a basket full of books.

What in the world is he doing here?

"Daniel," I swallow, unable to find any other words and standing up.

"You look really good," he tells me.

I look down at my ripped skinny jeans, vans and plain Nike sweater.

"Thanks?" It comes out more of a question because I know for a fact that I'm not and my hair is a curly mess around my shoulders and my outfit is basic at most. And let's not ignore the fact that I never have the energy to put on an ounce of make-up.

"I've been trying to talk to you along for a while," he says, shoving his free hand into his jeans.

"I don't have the time right now," I try coming up with an excuse to dodge him.

"Sydney, please, just let me talk."

Should I listen to whatever he says?

"Fine," I blurt out.

His face lights up, "Can we go to the café next door?"

I sigh, looking down at the book in my hands, before discarding it back onto its shelf.

~ ~ ~

The Coffee Bean café is crowded when we walk in, and it takes us quite a while to find a suitable table to sit at.

"Do you want to drink anything?"

"You said you wanted to talk, so talk, I don't have all day," I cross my arms over my chest, leaning back into the chair.

"What do I have to do for you to stop talking to me in that tone?" he asks, his eyebrows softly knitting together.

I sigh, closing my eyes for a brief moment, before a feeling of déjà vu washes over me, making me remember all those days we would come here after school.

"We used to come here all the time," Daniel speaks up after a while, mostly to himself as if reading my thoughts.

I nod my head in agreement.