Chapter 63. Adams' Proposal

Song Above: In Your Eyes by The Weeknd

(I'm sorry for the consistent The Weeknd songs, but he's literally been all I've been listening to, especially while writing out these chapters ahaha)

[63]

Sydney

"Hey, Syd, can I talk to you for a second?"

"Sure," I reply, turning back to Adam.

Adam and I came back home after the nurse told us my dad's chances of survival are really high so there's nothing really to worry about. My mom refuses to leave my dads side, which is understandable because I've never seen so much fear in her eyes in my life.

I drop down on the couch, staring back at him intently as I watch him struggle to form words.

"Adam, it's okay, I'm your twin sister," I try to soothe him.

"It just..." he begins, "I don't know."

I narrow my eyes at him.

He purses his lips, "I don't know what to do."

"What do you mean?" I frown.

"I don't even think Samantha loves me back," he shrugs, slowly sitting down next to me.

I shake my head, "Don't say that. I'm positive she loves you more than you could ever imagine."

"Did she tell you that?"

I sigh, taking his hand in mine, "She told me more than that. Don't ever doubt Sam's love for you."

"Then I don't understand why she said 'no' so fast when I proposed to her."

"Maybe..." I struggle to form the right words, "maybe it was the wrong time and she wasn't expecting it. She's had to put up with me for the past half-year in New York."

He shakes his head, "Don't blame yourself."

"I'm not."

We sit there in silence for what seems like hours, and I almost start sobbing when I realise how much I've missed this. Missed being at home, with my twin brother.

As if hearing my thoughts, he puts his arm around my shoulder and pulls me into his chest. I put my arm over his torso and lay my head on his shoulder.