Chapter 62. Love Like a Madman

[62]

[62]

Sydney

"Thank you, for the food," I tell Tyler as we walk side by side in the hospital.

He glances over at me, "No problem."

"Are we ever going to get back to normal?" Tyler asks me, make me stop at a startling halt.

Go back to normal after what he put me through?

"I don't think we'll ever get back to normal, Tyler. Just accept that." I carry on walking.

"Tyler, I've spent six months sleeping alone in New York, crying every night and asking myself why. Why I wasn't enough for you. Hoping that by some miracle I'm living through a nightmare and that I'll wake up any minute, wake up and find you beside me. And by some miracle what happened between us was a mere nightmare that never happened. But waking up every day alone and remembering the hell I'm living changed that."

His gaze on me lingers, his eyebrows clenching together. Tyler's expression remains unreadable again, and I let out an exasperated sigh.

"The day you let me walk out of that penthouse was the day everything changed beyond no return between us."

I would be lying if I said I don't notice the wave of hurt that flows onto Tyler's face, but he tries his hardest to cover it up, and if I didn't know him better, I would've thought my words don't affect him with the perplexed look on his face.

But I know him better than that.

He gulps, before turning to me.

"I think this is for the best."

His words anger me. But the bubbling anger inside of simmers down when his eyes become glassy as he raises his gaze to meet mine.

"This way, I don't have to be scared of fucking up, because I already have. I know I'll never get over the love I've felt for you, and I don't think that love will ever decrease. You'll get over me. I'm a bastard," his voice breaks.

"Tyler, why are you saying all of this?" my voice comes out strained with the lump that's formed in my throat.

"I've told you before, when I love, I love like a madman. Immoderate, jealous, possessive, toxic...I'm intolerable. And it's driven you away. Just as it should have. This is why I've never wanted to love. I never wanted to commit."

My eyes swell up with tears.

"Sydney, I've faced many storms, but you, sweetheart, you were a god damn cyclone. And I would go through that cyclone over and over just to relive our good days."

I would too. My heart shouts.

But my head knows best.

My cheeks are damp with tears, and Tyler becomes a blurry vision in front of me.