Chapter 130- helping hands

JIN POV:

When Joon brings it up later on that day, it's to me alone, choosing to follow me into the kitchen rather than stay curled up reading- to see him so invested in a book and just as easily unfurl from his position to tag along was a rare sight, it was an indication that something was playing about in his mind.

And my hands had tightened around the mugs I'd been reaching for when he mentioned it. Because we'd let her go out, with her scent intensified, so close to her cycle without even realising. It made me feel shame for not having picked up on it, that we'd all accepted the sweet intensity of her scent as the mating marks settling, with her scent getting stronger to merge with ours.

And thank my lucky stars that Namjoon had felt antsy enough, unsettled enough that he'd ended up tagging along with her, with our sweet mate who was now in the circle with the others playing a ruthless game of Monopoly- laughing delightedly whenever someone landed on her properties, sharp eyes not missing a thing. The sound of yells and indignant accusations poured out of the living room, filling the hallways and the kitchen with vibrance, with life.

And I smile at the sound of it, hands tight as they set the mugs down.

It was a good thing we'd been alerted, that we knew it was happening.

But we were woefully unprepared because we'd never had a female mate in our dynamic and now that we did it felt like everything was going to turn on its head and leave us in uncharted waters.

But we could do this. We could.

Just needed to do some extra research and maybe calling my mother wouldn't be a miss.

Because I didn't know what to expect, didn't know how to make her feel at her most comfortable and relaxed. 

"As a human (Y/N) monthly went through cycles, as a vampire it'll only be biannually. But I don't know what could happen because she's a turned vampire, I don't know if it would make a difference." Joonie says hesitantly once I've finished making the drinks, deep in thoughts of my own.

And my Joonie, the intelligent mate of ours who knows the most random of knowledge and has always been such a firm grounding force is uncertain himself.

And I pretend that the sight of it doesn't send a jolt of nervousness through me, suddenly anxious to get back to the others.

"We'll be fine. We'll get through it together." I say firmly.

And when we enter to see Jungkookie glare at (Y/N) as he lands on her property, adorned with the little red hotel, she just beams up at him, cooing as she plucks the small wad of notes from his unwilling hands.

"It's just a game Kookie." Hobi tries to cheer him up, appease him by ruffling his hair and leaning to rest his head against his shoulder.

But when Yoongi stoically says he owes him over a thousand for just happening to land on his property, the smile flickers and fades, the sunshine smile dimming into a look of moroseness and thunder.

"It's just a game Hoseokie." Yoongi mimics, a gummy smile tugging at his lips when it causes him to wilt and (Y/N) to laugh- a bright sweet sound mingling in with the protesting.

The sight reassures me.

Maybe it won't be as bad as we think.

-----

It's the feeling of pain throbbing dully through the bond that alerts me. The low constant murmur of voices that hold a worry in them. I find myself tugged away from the intense battle I was having on the computer game I was playing, heading up to see their dejected figures sitting cross-legged outside her room. I watch as Tae and Jiminie call out for (Y/N), softly speaking through the shut door, with small frowns sporting their faces.