Chapter Thirty Six

Lily's nude body was wrapped in tarp, covered in blood and bruises, it was obvious that she had been tortured and she was dead. Harper's breath hitched in her throat, Lily was dead. Seeing the body was hard for Jay and he had never known Lily, he couldn't imagine how hard it was for Harper. She let out a shiver, reminding her of how cold Chicago winters were, how cold Lily's body probably aws. Lily's chest was carved with the words 'no one can have her now.' The scene was horrible, she had been raped and tortured.

When Harper saw the bracelet she had given Lily to keep her quiet when their parents were fighting, she broke. She let out a sob, grabbing on to Jay's arm, Jay wrapped his arms around her, "They killed her" she whispered as Jay pulled her into his chest.

"She's dead," Harper gasped. This is all your fault. Lily's dead because you were being selfish. "Cover it up" Hank demanded the coroner, everyone turned away. Jason had killed her little sister. Harper was angry, guilty, hurt. She could have saved Lily.

As they drove back to the district to question Jason about the whereabouts of Troy and Eric since they didn't have to release him, Jay glanced at Harper thinking about what was going on in her head and what this meant for them.

Jay could look death in the eye and not even look twice before walking into it, but when it came to Harper he would worry and worry about her, hoping that nothing would happen to her. Jay had always been amazed by Harper, whatever the world threw at her, she got up and beat the odds. But would she be able to beat this?

Harper had dried her tears and as she looked out the window, she felt numb. She had been around her sister for 17 years, her sister had saved her. Yet here her Lily was, dead in a tarp, because she had been kidnapped and tortured right under her nose. This was her fault, this was on her for being selfish and not even making an effort to locate her sister.

When they got to the district, Voight didn't let her question Jason, he only let her look from the two way mirror. Jay was questioning him and they hadn't gotten their whereabouts so Voight went in. "What the hell was that? You could have pushed harder" she spat angrily at Jay.

Jay was angry but his sympathy for Harper dulled his anger. He knew what it was like to want to get justice and revenge for someone. But he also knew that if you went too far, there was no coming back from what you did and you would have to deal with the consequences of that, just like him and his Ranger unit. He was just trying to protect Harper.

So Jay just raised an eyebrow at her, trying to stay calm, "You could have hurt him worse, you barely even slapped him" she yelled at him before storming out of the interrogation room. SVU was still there trying to brief the lawyers on the case because technically Jason had only confessed to kidnapping Lily, not killing her. Harper didn't even know if she could listen to the list of injuries her sister had suffered let alone attend the trial.