Chapter One

Harper walked into Molly's, her heart breaking at the sight of Jay drinking his third beer of the night trying to stop the tears rolling down his face. "Hey Jay, I heard what happened, I'm so sorry" Harper said sitting down beside him. Just a month ago they had been the perfect couple she thought remembering the day Erin and Jay talked about retiring together.

Start Flashback

She arrived at the district an hour early. Everyone in the unit thought she was crazy for waking up so early and coming in. Truth is, she never actually slept that well.  Her childhood always haunted her. She shook those thoughts out of her head and said a quick hello to Sergeant Platt.

She started working on some paperwork and then her partner came in. She looked up at him mesmerized by his gorgeous features and then quickly scolded herself in her head. You and Jay will never be a thing so just move on. But every time she looked at his eyes she fell a little harder for him and her heart broke a little more knowing that she would never be with him. She cringed at how cheesy she sounded. She was supposed to be a badass detective, not some lovesick school girl.

"Hey, Harper ," Jay said, snapping her out of her thoughts. "Morning" she said, smiling up at him.

 "Jay, come here," a raspy voice she recognized as Erin's, called out and he walked over to her. She watched as her partner talked to Erin about retiring together at his cabin in Wisconsin looking at her with nothing but love in his eyes. Little did she know that their seemingly perfect relationship was already strained. 

She didn't have a problem with Erin but she was always insecure around her. Everyone loved her: Jay, Voight, Platt, the whole damn Intelligence Unit. She always felt like she had to prove herself around her, both of them being the only women in Intelligence.

Harper and Jay had been best friends ever since Harper had joined Intelligence. A few months ago, Voight had partnered them up since Jay was dating Erin.

 Somewhere along the way Harper had fallen in love with her partner and best friend. She had watched as Jay had fallen in love with Erin instead of her. She had watched as they started dating and moving in together, it had all become so real and it broke her heart. She wanted to be the one who kissed him goodnight. She wanted to be the one to comfort him after a hard case. She wanted to be the one to go home with him. She wanted to be the one retiring with him in Wisconsin. She knew she didn't have a chance against Erin and that he loved her with all his heart but she couldn't help but wish it was her in Erin's shoes. Shut up you sound like a two year old, get it together.

Voight's harsh voice barking out orders interrupted her from her thoughts. "Sky and Halstead go to med and get the statement from the victim". "Yes sir" the two of them said in unison, grabbing their jackets and heading down the stairs.

 "You wanna drive again?" Harper asked Jay as they walked to the car. "Of course I do" he replied chuckling while she rolled her eyes tossing him the keys. "What? Try having a partner that doesn't let you drive at all" he said referring to Erin and looking at Harper while she shook her head. She smirked "You better drive properly or that might just happen Halstead" she joked laughing at Jay's wide-eyed look.

As they got into the car, they talked, conversation flowing freely as always "So.." Jay said as she turned to look at him "I heard you went home with someone from Molly's a couple nights ago, anyone I know?" he asked in a teasing voice making her blush. It was actually embarrassing how he could get to her so easily. "Why, so I have to deal with you teasing me whenever we see them again?" she asked. "Oh, so it is someone I know," he said, looking at her. "Shut up, Halstead" she said, playfully rolling her eyes. "Or what" he jabbed back. "Or I get to drive for the rest of the week" she said looking up at him and smiling knowing she won the 'argument'. "Yes ma'am" he said in mock respect, making her roll her eyes at him and look out the window.