Chapter Six

That morning, Jay had woken up to the smell of coffee wafting through Harper's apartment. "Morning" she said. "Hey" he said, from the couch, looking around and rubbing his eyes. "I'm gonna go take a shower" he said getting up and grabbing some clothes, making his way to the bathroom. He quickly showered and came out with a towel wrapped around his waist.

As soon as Harper saw him she turned around blinking back tears. Erin probably got to see him like this  every morning she thought to herself. It hurt that even though her and Jay had been best friends, he had ended up with Erin. She should have made a move before he had gotten involved with Erin. She had lost her one and only chance to be with Jay Halstead. "You good?" Jay asked her as she swallowed hard trying to keep her tears at bay, shaking the random but relevant thoughts in her head.

"Um, yeah Voight said we could go in later, he said he has some business to take care of and today's a paperwork day" she said finally turning around to look at him. "Oh okay" he said just standing there deep in thought. "Go put some clothes on Halstead" she said, not being able to look at him any longer. "I thought you were enjoying the view" he said, flashing one of his killer smiles and winking making her heart flutter and skip a beat. No, don't go there  she told herself.

Harper just rolled her eyes at him giving him a look as he went to the bedroom. Jay came back in a long-sleeved gray shirt and a pair of jeans as Harper handed him a coffee. "So...let's talk about last night," she said nervously. "I'm sorry I--" he said looking down at the floor. "Jay, I don't need your apologies, I just want to know what's going on," she said sincerely. "It was just a nightmare, I thought I was back there" he said referring to his time overseas.

"Okay, I'm going to go take a shower" Harper said, getting the hint that Jay really didn't want to get into that right now. "Harper, the war is part of my life, it's not who I am and it doesn't define me and I know that" he said. "I believe you Jay" she said looking up at him before leaving the kitchen. Back there she thought about his words in her head, wondering if he would ever trust her enough to let her in and tell her what happened.

....................................................................................................................

That day, there was a case where a boy was kidnapped and Jay was supposed to go undercover. Harper was concerned because Jay had to become friends with Luis Vega, a former Ranger, meaning Jay had to revisit his past. Jay had already been through so much, did he really need this? Harper thought as she knocked on Voight's door. "Come in," his rough voice called out. "Sky, what do you need?"

"Sarge, I'm worried about Jay, he's been through so much these past few weeks and now he has to revisit his past, are you sure he's going to be okay?" she asked him. "I know you're his partner and you're worried about him. Believe me, the whole team is, but we've really gotta find this kid and this might be our only chance, so we have to do this" he said. "I understand" she said nodding her head and leaving his office, walking to the locker room where she was met with a furious Jay.

"What the hell?" he spat at her. "What the hell did you tell him? I thought we agreed that what goes on outside of work, stays outside of work" he yelled at her. "I didn't tell him anything, I've just been concerned lately, Jay" she said. 

Before he could even say anything Mouse opened the door telling Jay that he needed to put a wire on him. Harper took a moment in the locker room to gather herself, getting yelled at by Jay hurt, but blowing her one chance to be with him hurt even more. Nothing could hurt as much as that.