Chapter Nine

The next morning Jay woke up to the smell of coffee. Jay walked into the kitchen with his shirt still off and was met with the sight of Harper in a pair of sweats and a T-shirt. "Good morning" he said, grabbing one of his shirts from the closet beside the kitchen and putting it on. "God, why the hell do you wake up so early?" he asked her, looking at his phone, checking the time.

"Because I can't sleep," she said nonchalantly. Jay just frowned at her knowing there was more to it than that but he decided it was too early in the morning to argue so he didn't say anything.  "So..." he spoke nervously. "So?" she asked him confused.  He had been playing with the idea of moving in with Harper for a while, it had basically been two months since Erin had left and he usually ended up staying at her apartment so there was no point in paying for two apartments he was just too scared to ask her.  Stop acting stupid and just ask her  he told himself.

"I was wondering if we could move in together, it's okay if you say no, but I just I..." he looked down at the floor blushing, making her heart flutter. Was Jay Halstead acting shy? Harper mused to herself with a smirk. "I actually think that's a good idea, you've been sleeping at my apartment a lot and there's no point in paying rent for two apartments when we can just use one" she reasoned trying to hide her excitement. 

Surprised that she had quickly agreed, Jay let out a breath he didn't know he was holding and thanked her walking over to her and wrapping his arms around her petite body in a tight hug.  She reciprocated his actions, wrapping her arms around his muscular body and letting her head rest on his chest for the short time they were touching. His arms felt safe and they felt like home. This is where I want to be everyday she mused to herself before kicking herself for thinking that and pulling away.

"When do you want to move in?" Harper asked, making a face at how enthusiastic she sounded while Jay just raised an eyebrow at her. "Um, I haven't really unpacked anything in my apartment so it should be easy, anytime is fine" he said slightly embarrassed because both of them knew exactly why he hadn't unpacked, he was too busy drinking and pushing everyone away.

"Okay, then next weekend, in the meantime, you can stay here if you want," she said, putting her coffee cup in the sink as Jay poured himself a cup. He nodded his thanks at her. For a couple of minutes a silence had befallen Harper's apartment, but it wasn't awkward.

The silence between Harper and Jay was almost never awkward because both of them were always so deep in thought. Harper was thinking about how just a few months ago Jay had moved in with Erin and her breath caught in her throat wishing that he was moving in as her boyfriend and not just her best friend. She quickly shook those thoughts out of her head. You have no right to even think about that, Jay is still getting over Erin, he loved her and he was happy with her, she told herself. 

"I'm going to go take a shower" Harper said, after a couple of minutes, breaking the silence. She walked across the apartment to the bathroom as Jay nodded. After ten minutes, Harper had emerged from the steamy room in nothing but a towel making Jay's eyes widen.

 Damn  he thought to himself before scolding himself for thinking like that. It wasn't that he didn't think Harper was attractive, because he did in the back of his mind, but it was the fact that he was still getting over Erin. He cared about Harper too much to use her as a rebound like that.

Once she was in her bedroom, Harper quickly changed into some clothes before walking out of the bedroom. Once she was in the kitchen, she quickly opened the fridge eyeing its contents which confused Jay because they usually only had coffee for breakfast. "I need to go to the store" she said looking up at Jay and grabbing her badge and gun.

"Yeah and I need to go to my apartment and grab some clothes for this week" he said. "Oh, you've finally managed to use all the clothes in your bag? I didn't think that was possible, Halstead" She smirked as Jay rolled his eyes at her playfully. "Shut up," Jay said. "That was a good one, so original" Harper teased back while Jay gave her a look. "I'll see you in a while" she told him walking out the door. "Bye" he called out after her.