Chapter Four

Harper woke up in Jay's bed the next morning and Jay was already getting ready. "Holy shit, what time is it Jay? I'm gonna be late" Harper said hurriedly checking the clock. "I've gotta go, I'll see you at the district, bye" she said. Before Jay could even say anything, Harper had grabbed all of her stuff and hurried out the door.

When Harper had arrived at the district, they were already going over the case. They were supposed to go and make some arrests while a drug bust was going on. It was obvious Jay was still upset about Erin but Harper didn't want him to shut down so she just kept quiet.

"Gear up and go to the address" Voight yelled at everyone. As Jay started the car, he sneered, "Rough morning?". "Shut up and drive Halstead" Harper said dryly with playfulness still evidence in her voice. "Sorry I didn't wake you up I just..." Jay trailed off. "No it's fine Jay, let's just focus on the case" she said nonchalantly, still concerned for her partner.

The task was supposed to be fairly simple but the people in the gang started firing guns and somewhere in the crossfire a little girl at an illegal daycare had been hit. Harper was the one who had to carry her and put her in the car. Whenever Harper and Jay had gotten to the hospital, Harper was completely covered in blood so she went to go in change. 

As she changed, Will went up to his brother. "Hey Jay, the bullet we recovered was from a CPD issued gun, your gun" he said sadly. "What--Are you sure? I didn't just shoot my gun off somewhere" he said feeling like he now had the weight of the world on his shoulders. Erin and now this, how will I even get through this week?  he thought to himself.

When Harper came back with a new shirt on, she saw Jay sitting on a chair with his head in his hands, looking like he had just heard the worst news of his life. What had happened? "Jay, what the hell happened?" she asked. "The bullet inside Morgan is from me, what the hell am I gonna do?" he said angrily. "Hey, she's alive, so let's focus on finding the bastards who caused this," Harper said, squeezing his shoulder reassuringly.

As soon as they got back to the district, Voight asked Jay to meet him in his office. That day had been hell for the whole Intelligence Unit. Trying to find the people who had fired at them combined with all the hate Jay was getting from the community had proved to be a challenge. Voight and Jay were talking in the parking lot as Harper approached them.

 When she heard Jay saying that he thought the girl had a good chance at surviving, her heart broke. She didn't want to break the horrible news to him but she had to, she owed him the truth. "Morgan died an hour ago" she said softly looking up at Jay. Jay just got in his truck and drove away, she looked at Voight and he just shook his head. "Give him space, I've got this figured out" he said.

Harper nodded and walked into the district and to Mouse's tech room. "Mouse I've been really worried about Jay, I don't know what to do, it's so hard to see him like this" she said looking down at him. "You're in love with him, aren't you? He said turning around to look at her. She looked into his bright blue eyes "Wha---what do you mean?" 

"Come on, I've seen the way you look at him Harper, I'm a very observant person" he said, smirking while she rolled her eyes. "Okay, but that doesn't matter, he loves Erin, anyways what do I do, how should I help him?" "Just be there for him and support him, that's what he's done for us and that's what he needed after he came home" Mouse said seriously this time. 

Harper was glad to see Mouse confident compared to his fidgety demeanor when Jay had first introduced them. Harper opened her mouth to say something but then her phone rang. She quickly thanked him and said goodbye before leaving the tech room. 

Mouse sat there wondering if his best friend was really that bad, both of them had been so busy with work, he hadn't even checked on Jay when Erin left. Mouse quickly made a note to himself to talk to Jay before getting back to work.

 Mouse quickly made a note to himself to talk to Jay before getting back to work