Chapter Five

That night, after Ray Price had announced that it wasn't Jay's fault that Morgan had died. Jay had showed up at Harper's apartment still in his suit. Harper heard knocking on the door and opened it, as she looked Jay up and down she couldn't help but bite her lip, Jay had always looked good in suits". 

Who are you kidding, the man looks good in everything, he's hotter than hell  she thought to herself. What the hell Harper, you sound like a teenager fangirling over a celebrity. 

"Can I stay here tonight?" Jay asked, snapping her out of her thoughts. "Sure" she said, letting him in initially confused that he wanted to stay even though he had his own apartment, but glad that he had come to her.

"What about your clothes?" she asked him. "I left my bag in the guest bedroom the last time I slept over here" he said, gesturing over to the bedroom. "Oh yeah, do you want a drink or something to eat?" she asked. "Um no thanks I think I'm just going to sleep" he said. He didn't know why he had come to her apartment, there was just something about being around her that made him sleep better. 

"Okay, goodnight Jay" she said. "Goodnight" he said before walking into his bedroom and crying as quietly as he could for the second time that day. He had killed someone's daughter, someone's kid, someone's family he thought to himself repeating those words over and over again until he had finally fallen asleep.

At about 2 in the morning Harper had woken up to the sound of crying and whimpering. She quickly realized it was Jay and ran to the guest bedroom shaking him trying to get him to wake up from the nightmare about his time overseas. When he had finally woken up, she could see by the look in his eyes that he didn't know where he was, that he thought he was still there. 

Jay, you're safe, you're home, you're not there anymore" Harper soothed, but that was useless and he quickly pinned her to the bed gripping her wrists tightly and putting all his weight on her. "Jay, please, you're hurting me, it's me Harper, please stop" she cried out. Realization quickly dawned on Jay and his eyes widened. "Shit, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry" he cried out running out of the room.

"Hey, Jay come on, it's not your fault" she said but her attempts were useless. He had felt horrible, even though it wasn't his fault he had hurt the person who had done nothing but supported him. He looked into Harper's green eyes, filled with worry and concern and started crying again. For the next twenty minutes he just sat on the couch crying in her arms until he had fallen asleep again.

Once he had fallen asleep, Harper had untangled herself from him and covered him with a blanket. As she walked back to her bedroom, she hoped and prayed that he wouldn't have another nightmare.

 She didn't care about the bruises forming on her wrists from him, she would gladly have a thousand more bruises if it meant he would never have another nightmare again, but unfortunately it didn't. She knew how brutal her nightmares were and even though he hadn't talked much about being a Ranger, she could only imagine how bad his nightmares were.

She couldn't fall asleep that night, she couldn't just turn off the worried thoughts going through her mind about her partner. Her feelings for him didn't matter anymore. She had never planned on pursuing them in the first place, she just wanted to be there for the man she loved so much that she would take a bullet for him.