Flying

Baguettes_cool  for the face plants and angst
~~~~~

Ever since he could remember, Grian could fly. He hadn't been on the server for long, but he could always fly, and no one ever said anything about it.

Grian always stood out with the other Hermits, but he never felt bad about it. Large, feathery purple wings sprouted out of his shoulder blades, enabling him to fly whenever he wanted.

He didn't need rockets or an elytra. Just some wind in the air. Grian loved to fly when he was stressed or anxious, soaring across the big blue sky with no worries.

Before he really knew how to fly, the wings gave him some trouble. He'd do a backflip and land wrong, or he'd fall and smash his nose. Once he got the hang of it though, Grian felt like he was unstoppable.

For a little while, Grian was "the new kid" or "the baby hermit", and he didn't really like that. He wanted to prove himself, and learning to fly with no cares definitely helped that.

*time skip, current day*
(It was around 9 pm, a rainy day and Grian was drinking some warm tea)

Grian sat down on his sofa and pulled a pair of shears out of his pocket, one of his signature red sweaters in hand. Everyone now and again, he'd have to cut large wing holes in the back of his sweaters so he could fly comfortably.

Just as he made the first incision on the wooly fabric, he heard the loud doors of his mansion bang shut. "Erm- hello?" He called nervously, he wasn't used to guests this late at night.

"Grian? Bud, you in there?" Grian grinned at his friend's voice. Mumbo always knew when to cheer him up. "I'm in here!" Grian yelled cheerfully, standing up to meet his neighbor.

Mumbo flew in, as dapper as always. "How is it going? You've been cooped up in here for a while now," Mumbo stated, unaware of Grian's sweater.

"I've just been doing a bit of work," he held up the sweater for Mumbo to see, his grin showing through the holes. Mumbo threw his head back in laughter.

"Making holes in your sweaters for those ugly wings, are you now?" Mumbo demanded and Grian grimaced. "Wha- what? I thought- uh-" Grian stammered, his eyes bunched with tears.

"Oh- gonna cry? What a baby," Mumbo spat, rolling his eyes. Grian took a deep breath and blinked back tears. "I did not ask you to come here and make fun of me Mumbo. Something's gotten into you- you'd better go home."

Mumbo straightened his tie and marched to the door, throwing it open. Rain was coming in onto the carpet, but Grian did nothing to stop it.

"Well, if that's the way you want it, freak."

The door slammed behind him, echoing through the huge mansion. Setting down the sweater, Grian held his face in his hands, sobbing.

Mumbo had always been his best friend, and he had never seen him like this. No one had ever said his wings were ugly, or that he was a freak, but he sure felt like he was.

Grian pulled out his communicator to message someone, but gently sat it down on the couch beside him instead. What would he say? Mumbo would see it, and just get more angry.

There was a loud crack of thunder, and all the lights went out.

~

Grian sat up in bed, drenched heavily in sweat. Wiping his forehead, he reached over to grab the clock on his bedside table. It was around 3:30 am, a clear night.

He had had the worst dream imaginable. Mumbo- wings- I think you know the story. Breathing heavily, Grian snatched his communicator and blinked as the bright screen shone over the room.

No one had said anything for a few hours, but surely someone was awake. No- no, he didn't want to bother anyone.

His heart beat slowly going back to normal, Grian stepped out of bed and stretched his wings. He shuffled down the hallway and to the front door of the mansion.

Throwing it open, he rolled his shoulders and stepped outside. It was nice, slightly chilly but nothing too cold. The sky was clear, and the moon was bright. It was the kind of night in which you'd go for a stroll.

But Grian didn't go for a stroll. He leapt off the edge of his mansion, and he flew.

~~~~

Hi everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter, it was really fun to write

Btw, Baguettes_cool? I'll do the face plant sometime soon, I was gonna do it this chapter, but I started writing and couldn't figure out a place to fit it in. Still hoped you liked this one :)

Vote or I'll write this again, but it'll be real this time, not a dream