The Five Stages*

LOL SORRY I HAVENT BEEN UPDATING it's just been lots of school and home stuff and writing hasn't been my main priority. Ironically I can sit down and write these chapters in one sitting that lasts about half an hour (also yes I come up with the plot as I write lol) so I should update more but here we are so- I hope you enjoy anyways (:

~~~~~~~

The 5 stages of grief are flexible. They don't all appeal or apply to every person mourning, but they still feel grief.

Denial.

Mumbo still felt denial. He still did, even though Grian's ghost was perched right in front of him. And though he couldn't see him, Mumbo knew he was there.

Anger.

Mumbo never took his anger out on anyone but himself. But he did feel anger about Grian's death, and for a while he wanted to make Scar pay for what he had done. But he just stayed cooped up (like a hermit lol) and... ugly cried about it. And screamed. A lot.

Bargaining.

Mumbo would've at one point done whatever he could to get Grian back. But now he was back. So what would he bargain for now?

Depression.

Mumbo had felt depression. He had certainly felt the immense sadness that overwhelmed and washed over him. He felt like he was drowning, and everytime he swam up, something pushed him back down even harder. The feeling that things would never, ever be okay, no matter how hard you tried or how much you did to fix things. Mumbo had felt that.

Acceptance.

It was pretty hard to accept Grian's death, considering how Grian was speaking to him, not seeming very dead at all. Besides, if Grian was still gone, Mumbo wouldn't be ready.

"Mumbo?"

Mumbo let out a shaky breath, startled by the innocent voice that interrupted his thoughts. He wasn't ready for Grian to be back, it was too- too weird. For your best friend to die, you mourning them, just getting over their death- and boom. They come back to life. Or in a ghostly form, Mumbo guessed.

"Look, I know this is strange, but I just had to talk to you again. Please understand."

Mumbo shoved his hand through his untamed black mop. "I get it. I missed you so much, Grian, I did- I do. But this is just unnatural. How can you stay here as a ghost?"

There was a ripple through the air in front of him, and Mumbo froze as Grian appeared. He looked the same as always, aside from the fact that he was extremely transparent and was floating. He had burns on his hands and cheeks, reminiscent of the lava that had killed him.

And his eyes.

His eyes- his irises had gone from soft brown to a deep, deep black.

"I know I look different, and it might be unsettling, but please- I missed you so much. I just wanted to visit one last time."

Mumbo nodded, defeated by the situation.

"You could stay here- if we just introduced, uh- if everyone just became aware of the situation. So they wouldn't get freaked out- I mean, uh, they won't be startled when they see you floating around."

Grian shook his head and brushed a transparent lock of hair away from his pale forehead. "It hurts. Being in the real world. I feel like I'm slowly being ripped apart, it's just not very strong- yet. I just came to say hi. Maybe I can visit occasionally, but nothing permanent."

Mumbo walked over, tears leaking out of his eyes, despite the effort he went to try and stop the flow. "It's been great seeing you. Even like this." He held out his hand, but Grian pulled away.

"We can't. I can't- I can't touch anything."

He went to pick a flower, but his ghostly hand passed right through it.

Mumbo looked down guiltily.

"Goodbye Grian."

Grian's eyes scrunched together, like he was going to cry, but no tears came out. "Okay. I can go. Goodbye."

Mumbo turned away, unable to look at his best friend. Grian slowly disappeared, melting back into heaven.

And no one even heard the quiet "I love you."

~~~~~~~

Yeah okay this one wasn't great but oh well. Everyone better be happy I updated ):<

Just kidding of course

I hope everyone enjoyed, and in case there was any confusion about the relationship here, have this gem of a meme-