someone is watching me*

Most people can tell if they're being watched. A strange sensation, a creepy one really. One that makes you turn and wonder "who's there?"

Most people have felt this, but have they ever been the one that's watching?

~~~~~~

Grian was getting used to being a ghost. Floating through walls, making a small breeze when he flew around, all the normal ghostly stereotypes. But Grian had never realized that ghosts had power. Probably since he had never been a ghost before.

Grian tested these powers, but he didn't enjoy it. Floating inside of his friends and reading their thoughts? It felt like he was invading their privacy, even though Grian had no one to share these thoughts with.

Besides, most of their thoughts were just sad. Grian wanted to yell at them. Scream "Let me go! Move on with your lives and be happy!" , but he knew they were just mourning their loss of him. Who knew False cared about him? Keralis? He had gone in their head, Grian knew how sad they were.

And yet, he couldn't force himself to go inside of Mumbo, or even Iskall. Grian had seen their faces, their dead expressions. That was enough.

In addition to reading emotions and thoughts, Grian could talk to people. Little whispers of thought, like a conscience. He could get near their head and tell them something, but Grian was nervous to test this too much. What happened if he revealed to a hermit that he was still there, even in a ghostly form?

Sometimes, though, he would go up to a hermit and whisper in their ear. To Stress, "it's gonna be okay." To Impulse, "don't blame yourself." To Zed, "comfort your friends."

To Mumbo?

"He misses you too."

~~~~~~

It was on this kind of day, a bright and sunny one, where Grian missed Hermitcraft the most. He saw hermits flying around and building, sharing a meal and having sleepovers. (Yes they're like little kids okay)

Nothing was back to normal, not yet, but Grian hoped that one day it would. The server was still quiet and sullen, but many individuals had started coming out of their bases and going on their normal outings.

Grian hadn't seen Scar or Bdubs in a while, but most of HEP had seemed to emerge, in a limited way at least. He knew that some people, like Xisuma, felt tremendous guilt and spent most of his days shut up in his base, building away the pain.

Why he felt such guilt, Grian didn't know. It's not like X was the one that killed him. Even then, Grian had forgiven Scar. War was a mind controlling thing. He just hoped that the others would too.

~~~~~~

It was a bright and early weekend morning, and most of the hermits were still asleep. Grian of course, was not, because ghosts cannot sleep. He usually just wanders around all night until one of the hermits wakes.

Someone who was awake was Mumbo. He usually got up early because of the nightmares that kept him screaming at night. Grian flew behind him, making sure to keep away from his head in case Mumbo was to suddenly stop and Grian would fly right into him.

Mumbo went around, completing his normal morning chores, watering the plants and feeding his base. Grian was happy that Mumbo remembered to do this, especially that Grian was the one that did originally.

Grian flew behind him for about 10 minutes and was about to go check on someone else when Mumbo started flying in the direction of Grian's Hobbit Hole. What is Mumbo doing?, wondered the red-sweatered man.

Mumbo glided down to the entrance and walked inside, leaving the door open behind him. Grain floated through the doorframe and glanced around his old house. He hadn't been here in weeks. Months, really.

Everything was just the way he left it, aside from it being extremely neat and orderly. Grian wasn't exactly an organized person, and he usually left his stuff on the floor or countertop. But Mumbo had picked up around the house, dusted too.

Grian smiled sadly at the mustached man who was busily organizing a chest. I don't deserve him, Grian thought. Finally Mumbo closed the chest and revealed a couple of wheat seeds in his hand. He walked over to Professor Beak's cage and opened it. Professor hopped out and perched on Mumbo's shoulder, where he gingerly held out some seeds.

Professor Beak ate them and melted underneath Mumbo's hand as he stroked the bird. Grian covered his mouth and smiled. He blinked away tears and turned away from the pair.

Grian really missed them. Like, a lot. To the point where he would do pretty much anything to be revived. But that's not how death works, and Grian knew that.

There was ways around that, but Grian would have to ask for someone's help. He couldn't come back to the living by himself. But the only person on the server that was skilled in magic was cut off. An outcast.

Grian's murderer.

~~~~~~

Only about 30 more reads and 10 more votes to 5k reads and 200 votes! This is insane! Thanks to everyone who has been reading and voting, it means the world to me. Maybe we can reach that goal by the next chapter! I'm sorry for such a disorganized update schedule, but I've been having a lot of schoolwork and personal stuff to deal with. I'll be trying to update more in the future. Feel free to vote and comment, I'll try to reply to every single one! I love you all, thank you so much!

~reagle13