help me*

Go follow Trooper771 , they helped me with ideas for this chapter.

//tw- death, mention of death, small mention of torture
~~~~~~~~~

Six days before the funeral

Mumbo smiled at this reflection and smoothed his mustache. When his appearance was up to par, he winked at the mirror and strode into his new office.

Scar had finally appointed him to a higher position, and with this promotion had come an office and 5 diamonds per half hour. With that many diamonds, Mumbo immediately went to Threads by Scar and bought a new suit.

Now he sat in his office, swiveling in the chair and glancing out of the window. Below him was the prison, where Keralis and Xisuma stood guard. No one was actually occupying the prison, not yet, but Mumbo had heard rumors that HEP had made advancements on The Resistance, and that they could be put into custody any day now.

Mumbo quietly whispered a prayer of hope that Grian would be okay, in jail or not. He figured that Scar would obey his wishes, as long as they were convenient and meager. Mumbo would only ask for Grian and Iskall's safety.

Popping his knuckles, Mumbo straightened the chair and focused on the papers sitting on his tidy desk. Some notices filed in by neutral members of the server that they had spotted a Resistance member or two, which were usually false. A city citation claiming that Mumbo's base was "too messy", but Mumbo saw it as "too beautiful".

He tossed these papers to the side and shoved his hands through the dark messy mop that was his hair. Mumbo leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes, smiling as the warm sun found his face. It was late afternoon, and Mumbo would soon be going home.

He thought of his extravagant base, no matter how messy or confusing it really was. His thoughts skipped to Etho's base. If Mumbo's base was "messy" then Etho's had been through a hurricane. Mumbo chuckled at the idea of Etho receiving a city citation, but frowned when he realized Etho wouldn't even be there to receive a citation.

The entire Resistance was in hiding, unable to tend to their homes or even visit. Mumbo flew to Grian's mansion and hobbit hole daily, to feed Professor Beak and check on the villagers. Scar would probably be angry if he knew this, so Mumbo kept these visits a secret. What he doesn't know can't hurt him, right?

Mumbo bit the inside of his cheek and glanced around his office. Neat and orderly, like usual. Yet, something looked off-

Mumbo shot up from his chair as he heard a loud scream from below him. The prison. Someone was at the prison? But that wasn't right- Scar, or someone, would've told him if they had taken the Resistance into custody. Wouldn't he? Did Scar not trust Mumbo fully, unlike he claimed he did?

Shaking his head, Mumbo leaned back into his chair, telling himself that he was hearing things. Good thing it was almost time to go. He really needed to head home.

"AHHHHH-" There it was again. A loud screech, distinctly female. Well- either that or the dude was very high-pitched. Mumbo stood up and thrust the door of his office open. He stepped down the hallway quietly, making sure not to arouse anyone or seem suspicious.

Mumbo walked down the stairs and quietly peeked around the corner. There was nothing, so he continued all the way to the area of the jail where the prisons would be held. Mumbo paused to listen, but the only thing he heard was his rapid breathing and beating heart.

Choking down a gulp of fright, he continued walking, trying to seem as casual as possible. Mumbo rounded the final corner, and finally there was something. He paused for a split second to examine the situation.

Scar on the floor, seemingly just knocked down. Bdubs and Tango standing not far behind, faces full of raw anger and fear. Etho, brow slick with sweat and rings glistening. The entire Resistance ganged around one cell, all but one person.

"GRIAN!" Mumbo dove towards the cell in super speed, desperate to save his best friend from a fiery death. A thick wall of obsidian and 2 iron bars were what lay between death and life. A thin line.

But he was gone.

Mumbo clung to the metal bars holding him back. Hot, sticky tears ran down his cheeks. He was a messy crier, an ugly crier. This was the Mumbo that no one ever saw. No one but Grian.

After moments of silence, Mumbo whipped around the confront everyone who still remained. "WHAT DID YOU DO TO HIM?!" He screamed, unable to hold back his emotions.

His eyes were bloodshot and crazed, his suit seemingly ripped, unlike the moments just before. "What- what did you do to him-" Mumbo choked back a sob, unable to harness the thoughts running through his head.

All he had seen was Grian trapped in a small room, full of lava. And no one ever survives lava. Not without- not without water. The Resistance standing by, weakly trying to break him out. Scar- Scar. Scar was the one responsible, Mumbo knew that much.

"Did he- was he-" Mumbo crumpled as Ren walked over and patted the mustached man's back. "It was quick, Mumbo. No torture- nothing painful." Everyone seemed to be in shock, not sure what to do. Grian was really gone, which no one had thought would happen.

This war had really gone too far.

~~~~~~~

Mumbo sat in Grian's Hobbit Hole, staring out the window. He didn't know what to do anymore. The funeral would be held in 2 days, so Mumbo figured he should clean up and look presentable, but he didn't have the initiative to do anything anymore.

Iskall visited on the hour, but left shortly after to go home and grieve as well. They were both scared and alone. Who would've thought that a little guy in a red sweater would've made such an impact on a server?

No one thought. No one but Mumbo.