A Time For Firsts.

Start from the beginning

Mom stands up and sits next to me where Zack was sitting. "Sophie, I could never hate you." She picks up my hand and she places it in-between her hands. "I love you, Sweetie. I just try to make you be the person that I know you can be."

"But, I am the person that I want to be, Mom. "

She thinks for a second before she speaks. "You really don't want to look like you used to, do you?" She picks up a strand of my hair gently. "With frizzy hair, big clothes that don't even fit you, and glasses that cover your beautiful eyes?"

I shake my head yes. "Yeah. I do-or I did."

"But," She cocks her head to the side. "You always had people picking on you, and your only friend's were Gabe and Monica. Then when Monica left, all you had was Gabe. You've never had a boyfriend, and it worries me, Baby." She gently pulls me to her in a hug. "I just wanted you to be happy, and have friends. Be a teenager. Have your first heart break. Go to a party." She pulls away from me. "Be different from what I was when I was your age."

I furrow my eyebrows together. "I thought that you was popular when you was a teen." At least that's what she always told me. "'Cause you're all the time saying, 'When I was your age, I did this, had this, or looked like this.'"

Mom sighs and looks away from me. "Honey, when I was your age, I was a nerd. A big nerd. My best friend was the math book."

What?

I take in my Mother. Her long blond hair, that goes to her mid back. Her long eyelashes that covers her big blue eyes. Her flawless face. Her perfect body...Well, perfect for a forty year old.

"How?" I ask. "You look perfect."

She snorts, which I've never in my life heard my mom do. "It takes a lot of work to make myself look this way. When I was your age, I was such a nerd, that I was probably called every name in the book. I wasn't at all thin, and like you, I didn't care what anyone thought about myself. It wasn't until I met your Father, that I decided to change myself."

She looks lovingly over at my snoring Father. "He made me want to change myself." For some reason, this makes me think of Zack. "I wanted to be perfect for him."

Awe! "So, did Dad like you from the beginning?"

Mom looks back at me. "Ha! I wish. He was one of the people who made fun of me." My eyes widen when I hear this. "Yes, he was. Him, and this boy named Freddy, loved to tease me. But, one day I-"

"Soppie, you're up?" Asks a drowsy Gabe, interrupting Mom.

"Yes," I mumble to Gabe, then look back at Mom, wanting her to finish her story.

Mom pats my knee, then stands up. "Well, I'm going to go for a walk. My legs are killing me from sitting so long. I'll finish talking to you later, okay?"

I sigh, then nod.

I really wanted to hear the rest of the story. I don't know why, but, it reminded me so much of Zack and I. It really surprises me that my Mom wasn't always perfect like she is now. It makes me see her differently.

Maybe she's not so bad....

Mom smiles at me, then walks out of the room.

"Are you still mad at me?" I look over at Gabe, and see that he has his puppy dog face on. "I'm sorry."

I can never stay mad at Gabe. No matter what he does, I'll always forgive him. I smile at him, hop off the couch, and hug him. "You know I can never refuse your puppy dog face."

He laughs and wraps his arms around me. "I know. That's why I used it."

I roll my eyes playfully. "So big headed. How do you do it, Gabriel?"