-𝙏𝙤𝙣𝙮 𝙎𝙩𝙖𝙧𝙠-

Almost

             As you finished taping up the last box, you heard a knock on your doorway

             As you finished taping up the last box, you heard a knock on your doorway. You turn around and smiled, feeling bittersweet.

            "Hey," You said to him. "Just got finished with the last box."

            "When're you leaving?" He asked, getting closer to you.

           "Well, people are going to pick up my boxes tonight and then I'm off to Paris at seven in the morning." You answered him.

          Tony nods, trying not to show his sadness. "If I asked you to stay, would you?"

          You felt your heart ache at his pleading tone. "If the circumstances were different, you know I would, Tony."

         "But why can't you just stay?" He asked, trying to sound confident but his voice came out shaky. "Don't leave, Y/N. Please."

          "You know very well why I can't stay," You said with a frown. "I can't stay here waiting on you for my whole life, Tony. As selfish it may sound. I don't want to be second place anymore."

         "But you're n-"

         "Yes I am and you know it," You laughed sadly. "It'll always be Pepper. No matter what, and if I stay I'll always be the second woman who consoles you every time she breaks your heart. The one who puts you back together, only for you to run off and get broken again."

         Tony couldn't contradict your statement. "But I love you..." He said sincerely.

        "Maybe, but not enough," You said to him. "You and I have to face the music, Tony. We were an almost. We could've been if we tried a little harder. But it's too late now, and we can't go back and rewrite what happened."

        "We can't go back, but we can start again," Tony said, wrapping his arms around you. "Restart with me, Y/N. We can be happy."

          A small, mournful smile made its way to your face. You leaned in and kissed Tony passionately. He smiled, thinking you accepted his offer, but you pulled away causing him to frown.

         "I'll miss you, Tony." You told him, before walking away and leaving him alone.

         All of you wanted to restart with him, but you knew it wouldn't happen. Happiness would be short lived and old habits will take their course. You loved Tony enough to let him go.